Gut Yom Tov

I'm atoning for my many sins today, so no blog posts. Interestingly, the Senate Finance Committee is also taking a break for Yom Kippur, despite the fact that only two of their members (Wyden and Schumer) are Jewish. I think the technical term for this is "free-riding."

By Ezra Klein  |  September 28, 2009; 7:04 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: An Interview With Barney Frank
Next: Morning Meeting

Comments

The technical term is "Jewish" -- esp. for Schumer. Maybe at services you can find a little love in your heart for the Jewish state?

Posted by: truck1 | September 28, 2009 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Man, I know I'm going to regret this, but truck1, your post is extremely confusing. Your use of the word "technical" doesn't seem to respond to Ezra's use, though it looks like that was your intent. I don't understand how "Jewish" applies especially to Shumer. And where'd that bit with the Jewish state come from?

Posted by: MosBen | September 28, 2009 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Now, Ezra, there's no need to diss the goyim for recognizing a good loafing opportunity when they see one . . .

Posted by: scarlota | September 28, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

"let all these be possible:
peace
goodness
lives that are a blessing
gracious acts
the love of sharing
the love of creating
light unbound
sustenance for all
abounding life."

Posted by: jkaren | September 28, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

MosBen, Do Not Feed The Troll. Truck1 has apparently dedicated itself to propagating the notion that Ezra hates Israel and is among its main detractors; at least, he's now popped up in a couple of threads to advance this proposition. Hopefully Truck1 will find another hobby soon.

Posted by: WarrenTerra | September 28, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Truck 1's hobby, to use your word, is the truth. Truck's goal is to transport truth to the sites that see it least.

Posted by: truck1 | September 28, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Klein's former blog represented his interests and views. The purpose of the present blog is to advance the administration's positions. If it does that, and only to the extent it does that, Mr. Klein will be given access to high officials in the administration.

Posted by: truck1 | September 28, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

oh enough already.

Mr Klein,

enjoy your well deserved day off.

Posted by: visionbrkr | September 28, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

"I think the technical term for this is "free-riding.""

I think it is more like a win-win opportunity. The Jews get to celebrate their holiday without missing out on anything and the others get a break.

Posted by: Castorp1 | September 28, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Ah, so Al Franken really is Dutch! (Old SNL skit reference.)

Posted by: starfleet_dude | September 28, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I think the technical term for truck's position is "loving it to death."

Posted by: Mimikatz | September 28, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

The interesting question is how far the free riding extends. Will the Finance Committee, for example, take a Kwanzaa break?

Posted by: BruceMcF | September 28, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Mmmm... I'm pretty sure my esteemed Senator Carl Levin is Jewish as well.

Maybe Ezra has a definition of Jewish that's a bit unusual.

Posted by: donkensler | September 28, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

"Mmmm... I'm pretty sure my esteemed Senator Carl Levin is Jewish as well.

Oh, and Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer as well. And what about Frank Lautenberg? And the Wisconsin duo of Kohl and Feingold?"

Somebody seems to be under the impression that the entire Senate sits on the Finance Committee.

Posted by: thehersch | September 28, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

There is an article at the Mises blog that promotes the free market for dealing with the so-called free rider problem in health care.

Posted by: msoja | September 28, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

truck,

if you disagree with a member of your family, does that mean that you dont have love in your heart for them?

if you disagree with things about the political process in the united states, and speak out against them, does that mean that you dont "love" your country?

if a jewish person is opposed to current israeli political policies, you have read into their heart and mind, that they have no love in their heart for israel?

you know, truck, i think that those who speak out with truth when they are in disagreement with actions, show real courage and a greater level of integrity and concern, than those who blindly stand by as witnesses and enablers to wrongdoing.

i am jewish, and i have love in my heart for israel, but that is not in conflict with my opposition to their current policies.
in fact, i feel that their current policies are dangerous for israel, and i feel i do the right thing by speaking out.

also, as the angels close the gates for yom kippur, why dont you let Hash-m judge what is in the heart of every person.
this is the belief in judaism.
everyone has their own private conversation with G-d.

shalom

Posted by: jkaren | September 28, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Trust me, I *know* that I shouldn't feed the trolls, but sometimes I just can't help myself. Anyway, he didn't come back with anything even remotely interesting.

Posted by: MosBen | September 28, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

"G-d"?

You can't bother to use your shift key to capitalize the beginning of a sentence, etc., except when you get to the word "God", but then you have to pretend it's a cuss word and leave a letter out?

Oy!

Hey, maybe it's from someone out of town.

Posted by: msoja | September 29, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

msoja

this relates to the divinity of the third commandment.

Posted by: jkaren | September 29, 2009 1:15 AM | Report abuse

truck must have been prompted by michael gerson, who just got smacked down by spencer ackerman for his going after ezra. can i post the link for ackerman's? guess we'll find out.. http://attackerman.firedoglake.com/2009/09/27/michael-gerson-your-shtetl-pass-is-revoked/

Posted by: schaffermommy | September 29, 2009 2:04 AM | Report abuse

Enjoy your day off, my friend. Just remember: don't eat, don't drink, don't bathe, don't wear leather shoes, and above all, don't anoint yourself with perfumes. Yahweh is angered by the smell of non-fragrance-free lotions, especially Olay, and his great beard grows red-hot at the sight of Bruno Maglis.

Posted by: y0ssar1an | September 29, 2009 3:35 AM | Report abuse