Tab Dump

1) James Surowiecki on reforming the rating agencies.

2) Alyssa Katz on reforming the ratings agencies.

3) Kent Conrad doesn't want the Finance Committee to hold a vote for at least two weeks.

4) Why is soda so expensive in Europe? (and could this help explain their relative thinness?)

Tomorrow will be a less boring day on the blog. I promise.

By Ezra Klein  |  September 22, 2009; 6:21 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Delivery System Day: Peter Orszag
Next: Kent Conrad Hearts the French Health-Care System?

Comments

Ezra, could you write a longer post explaining delivery system reforms at some point? Even if that's in a month when you have a better understanding of the issues involved.

I would enjoy it, and I'm sure there are at least 5 other nerds who would too.

Posted by: StephenBank | September 22, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Today wasn't boring at all! I really appreciated the attention on delivery systems reforms.

Posted by: janspa | September 22, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Not boring at all. This was a spendid day on the blog -- especially the Orszag interview. Your experts seem to be impressed with a lot of what Baucus and his team have done, which is encouraging.

Posted by: dk10024 | September 22, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

I'll join the chorus. It's important to get these policies more visibility so there's a credibly push for getting these less-sexy pieces of reform right and lowering costs in the long term.

It's also helpful because outside of the context of this once-every-two-decades big push for reform, it's still important to be able to make advances on these sorts of policies in years when the starts aren't aligning. Usually the way this goes is that the industry groups making a profit are able to crush reformers because the public isn't that engaged in these questions. Getting more information out can help change that dynamic.

Posted by: Mike_Russo | September 22, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Not at all boring! Incredibly informative.

Posted by: kcb244 | September 22, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Erza, this was easily the most interesting day of 20 or so that I've visited your blog.

Posted by: HalHorvath | September 22, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

I've never noticed that soda was more expensive in Europe, but that could be because I've never bought one. However, I've never noticed my American friends complaining either. It could be that everything is more expensive (depends a lot on the exchange rate).

Also, they don't use corn syrup in soda; they use sugar. So possibly that's a reason as well.

I also don't think people drink it as much, based on the litter I see. (Litter is a HUGE problem in Britain!) So that could have something to do with the size difference, though Britain is trying hard to catch up to the US in average weight. (So far they've disguised it by calling it "stone" but the evidence is clear.)

Posted by: KathyF | September 23, 2009 3:03 AM | Report abuse

Actually, wine and beer have more calories per ounce, so it's hardly an explanation.

Posted by: Hopeful9 | September 23, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Well, you posted a video of Tom Delay on Dancing With the Stars so I guess the day is less boring for some but infinitely more pathetic for all.

Posted by: eRobin1 | September 23, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse