The 50 Best Foods in the World, and Where to Eat Them

The Guardian, in a transparent and sure-to-be-successful bid for links, rounds up the 50 best foods in the world, and tells you where to eat them. I've had two: California cuisine at Chez Panisse, and ravioli at Babbo. only one of those was a truly great meal (Chez Panisse). What's omitted from this list -- molecular gastronomy comes to mind -- are arguably more interesting than what's included.

By Ezra Klein  |  September 18, 2009; 4:38 PM ET
Categories:  Food
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Money Problem, Cont'd
Next: Atul Gawande for Senate?

Comments

They're suggesting L'Ami Louis for roasted chicken is such a stereotype. Its like saying the best hot dog in NY is Nathan's. Did they just lift this out of a travel guide?

The best roasted chicken in Paris is from a street cart by the rue des Rosiers.....which is a short hop from this place in he heart of Jewish Paris.

Posted by: zeppelin003 | September 18, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

The only ones I've eaten at are the milkshake place in LA and the fish'n'chip shop in Scotland (since I used to live close by that one). It's strange that they chose the Wee Chippy over the more famous Anstruther Fish Bar - the lines there aren't that long and it's definitely the better of the two. The Wee Chippy is pretty good, though. And the locals go to Anstruther's as well.

Posted by: goinupnup | September 18, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Loathe as I am to get sucked into debating their choices, picking Frank Pepe Pizzeria as the best pizza in the world (or even in the country) is simply absurd. I've eaten there (including the white clam pie), and it was quite good, but Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix leaves it in the dust. That is a legitimate contender for best pizza in the world (as the 4 hour wait attests); anyway, I'll cut off my rant here.

Posted by: khasle | September 18, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

I am seriously contemplating a trip to Clerkenwell for some olive oil from that electrical supply shop. Could pick up some plug converters while I'm there.

But I've been to The Hinds Head (although not, obviously, for steak and kidney pie!) and was very disappointed with the service as well as the food. Would not advise anyone to make the trip.

Posted by: KathyF | September 19, 2009 1:58 AM | Report abuse

But-- where's the best scrapple!?

Posted by: callingalltoasters | September 19, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Ludicrous. Has this guy even been to Chicago? You would think there would be some sort of nod towards the one city in America that truly lives and breathes food. I honestly can't think of a meal I've had in New York (aside from the Pastrami on Rye) that didn't have a superior counterpart in Chicago.

Posted by: OSheaman | September 21, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse