Chicago Loses the Olympics

And good riddance. South America deserves one of these things. Go Rio!

By Ezra Klein  |  October 2, 2009; 2:26 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: George Will And Global Warming
Next: 'Uncharted Territory'

Comments

Good for Rio, and good for Chicago. It looks like those things are an expensive pain in the ass.

Posted by: luko | October 2, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

"Good riddance." Exactly the reason we lost. We are a spoiled, over-privileged country with spoiled, over-privileged citizens. We have no respect for the Olympics and have no sense of what it means to host them.

People all over the country, in all corners and ideologies, are cheering this loss. It's sickening. We don't deserve the Olympics and I don't expect we'll see them in the U.S. again for decades.

Posted by: evietoo | October 2, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. Good for them.

Posted by: ErininAtlanta | October 2, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't follow the good riddance comment, but I'm really, really happy for the people of Rio (and Brazil and South America). My wife is from Rio, and I bet that, once the IOC selection committee came into contact with the happiest and warmest people in the world, their decision became a no brainer.

Posted by: cjo30080 | October 2, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Yes, good for Rio. But good riddance? Come on! Are you saying you would not have been happy and proud to see Chicago host the Olympic Games? If you're a totally impartial observer, and your opinion on these things is based on what is most "fair," then South America probably deserved the Olympics. But how can an American not want to have the honor of hosting the grandest of international events?

Posted by: celdred | October 2, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm not too happy about the good riddance comment either Ezra. As an aussie who saw first hand the spirit that Sydney put into the games, I think it would have been great for Chicago to host the games (not to mention the possible influx of federal money to fix our broken infrastructure). Oh well, I guess I'll just have to save my pennies for a trip to Rio

Posted by: ChicagoIndependant | October 2, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Chicago deserves redemption after the Olympic committee reneged after awarding the games to Chicago on 1904.

Why are you cheering?

Posted by: adamiani | October 2, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

*I think it would have been great for Chicago to host the games (not to mention the possible influx of federal money to fix our broken infrastructure)*

It would help if our society believed that it was beneficial to spend money to fix broken infrastructure for the sake of having good infrastructure, not simply because the Olympics are coming to town.

Posted by: constans | October 2, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

The US is better off not exposing to the world the soft underbelly of about 25-35% of our population that is whacked crazy: they would have been doing hate-rallies every day claiming that Obama and Hitler co-sponsored the Games, with Stalin providing the forced labor, and Mayor Daley heading the Gestapo or Stazie.

Chicago must also qualify as in the running for the most residentially segregated-by-race cities in the world.

The city's Motto: 'The City That Works' is missing the ending. That works on pertuating forever race/ethnic divisions.

Posted by: JimPortlandOR | October 2, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Also, note that Ezra is part-Brazilian. He has a vested interest here.

Posted by: constans | October 2, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse