Tab Dump

1) France's politics are really weird.

2) It's really hard to tell whether Stephen Colbert is parodying Glenn Beck or Glenn Beck is parodying Stephen Colbert.

3) The American Prospect is a great institution, and I hope it thrives.

4) The Obamas are stocking the White House with some cool art.

5) The opening sequence of Ang Lee's “Eat, Drink, Man, Woman” is, in my opinion, the single finest meeting of food and film. But I didn't know it was online until Alyssa Rosenberg posted the clip.

The Congressional Budget Office estimates that you will have a good weekend within the two-day window.

By Ezra Klein  |  October 9, 2009; 6:09 PM ET
Categories:  Tab Dump
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama's Nobel Prize
Next: The Insurance Industry's Deceptive Report

Comments

Really fine work today. I often post your pieces to Facebook, but today's were an embarrassment of riches. I wanted to link to about 6 of them.

Posted by: DaffyDuck2 | October 9, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

"Bella Martha" has great food scenes, too. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzXwrkgAD5w

Posted by: alekdavis | October 9, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Completely agree on the Eat, Drink, Man, Woman bit. For another great food-making scene without dialogue, see the cooking-of-the-omelet-on-the-morning-after scene of "Big Night".

Posted by: jmccormi | October 9, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

something beautiful to consider...
fragments from whitman's "song of myself."
enjoy.

Posted by: jkaren | October 9, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Beck can't imitate Colbert's imitations of O'Reilly -- he doesn't have the range.

Colbert can imitate both Beck AND O'Reilly. He's a trained comedian and actor. Those skills don't always translate, but in this case, I think it's pretty clear that they do.

Beck's character is lifted from sources that proceed Colbert. The most obvious source is the Howard Beale character from Network. He incorporates a poor man's Gilbert Gottfried into his routine too. What differentiates Beck is that he has absolutely no respect for his audience.

Posted by: JPRS | October 9, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Great posts. And Eat Drink Man Woman has always been one of my favorite movies. Thanks for reminding me why.

Posted by: marklbishop1 | October 10, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

A nice film, but you can't beat Tampopo -- and not just for the egg scene.

Posted by: Ulium | October 10, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Ezra on Iran, circa March 2007: "This just isn't that repressive a society.....the attempt to make the country look like some sort of tyrannical, dictatorial regime is just another element of the war propaganda."

October 10, 2009 headline: "Iran sentences three to death over vote unrest". http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33254083/ns/world_news/

Posted by: bill97 | October 10, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse