Lunch break

It's a bit of a heavy day around here, so today's lunch break is a little boy seeing a lobster for the first time.

I want my ringtone to be that kid saying "wow!"

By Ezra Klein  |  November 19, 2009; 12:28 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Defining health benefits
Next: What happens before 2014?

Comments

No chat today, E? I was saving a question for you about gaming out the Senate debate-
We keep hearing that Stupak won't get added because progressives can use the filibuster just the same as conservatives and keep any amendments out with 41 votes. However, if Hatch et al. introduce Stupak-Pitts and a filibuster is required (ie, there are between 51 and 59 votes for it), then won't a filibuster by progressives hold up the entire bill? If Hatch refuses to withdraw the amendment, and infinite debate is required to keep it out, then isn't the whole thing bottled up? Can Democrats in effect be tricked into filibustering their own bill?

Posted by: _SP_ | November 19, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I don't think I ate a lobster until I was significantly older (20?) than this kid. And I think it was because my parents didn't want to waste their, like, one lobster a year on a kid whose palate couldn't discern between Spaghetti-Os and (insert good tasting item here).

Posted by: ReporterAndrew | November 19, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Kids' ability to mimic spoken words and acquire words never fails to boggle me. "what's that?" "Lobster!" "Lobster?" "Lobster!" "Lobster!!"

Reminded me of an experience I had with my son when he was about this little guy's age. (This is nothing special about my kid, just the coolness of the process). We were out back looking at bugs and came across a millipede, perhaps his first. He was peering at it, I was behind him looking over his head, so he couldn't see me or my lips. "What's that?" he asked. "Millipede" I said, and he immediately said, "Millipede." It just struck me as so amazing.

Posted by: bdballard | November 19, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Ezra. What a hoot!

I love the part(s) where he wants to touch them but then backs off with a "no."

And that IS some "wow."

Posted by: theRealCalGal | November 22, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm with him when he says, "I don't like that!" I wouldn't want something that was actively trying to crawl around, to go into the fridge, either!

Lobsters, crabs, etc. are all just insects-under-the-sea AFAICS anyways, so my shellfish allergy is MIGHTY convenient. I'm not missing anything.

Posted by: ajw_93 | November 24, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse