Tab dump

1) Does D.C. have any dishes as legendarily hot as "pork on fire"?

2) Could Obama have done more to protect choice?

3) Proof of America's poor train infrastructure: "Even Amtrak’s self-declared high-speed Northeast Corridor between Boston and Washington does not qualify as high speed by world standards."

4) Michael Bloomberg and the fall of the republic.

Recipe of the day: Today, I'm begging you folks for a recipe. I want to make some Kimchi. How should I go about doing it?

By Ezra Klein  |  November 9, 2009; 7:02 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The point of a congressional majority is to use it, not to keep it
Next: Pro-health-reform groups outspend opponents

Comments

"There are probably as many different recipes for Kimchi as there are Koreans"

(no recommendation from commenter).

[google is your friend].

Posted by: JimPortlandOR | November 9, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

--"train infrastructure"--

Amtrak's Acela Express is to Japan's Shinkansen as the U.S.A.'s health care reform will be to the U.K.'s National Health Service.

Posted by: msoja | November 9, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

David Lebovitz has a nice recipe for kimchi; his second take on it was better than his first. BTW my personal preference is to use cabbage, rather than cucumbers. And, slices of ginger and shredded carrots are a nice touch.

Posted by: goadri | November 9, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

I've tried a lot of methods and recipes. The best and simplest ones have you putting cabbage, daikon, and scallions in a brine overnight, then draining (save the brine) and mixing vegetables with a loose paste made of lots of Korean chile powder, some mashed-up anchovies, garlic, and ginger. Pack it in a jar, cover with reserved brine, and put the remaining brine in a ziplock bag and use it to weight down the vegetables so they stay covered in brine. Drape a towel over the whole thing and let it ferment at room temp for a couple days or a week, then remove the bag, put a lid on, and refrigerate.

Posted by: lianakrissoff1 | November 9, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

You know probably where to find the data for the following - freakonomics type of - statistics. Could it be that abortion actually saves insurance companies and state/federal taxpayers a lot of dollars?
Bringing a fetus to term that has only limited chances at life and needs a lot of pre- and neonatal care, let alone costly care later in life, actually can run into the millions. Shouldn't it be that the Stupak amendment should be rewritten that people should "opt out" of ‘abortion-dollars’ and pay MORE for it? Not less?

On another note: isn't the Stupak-amendment unconstitutional since it singles out people on gender?

Posted by: wimprange | November 9, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

--"Could it be that abortion actually saves insurance companies and state/federal taxpayers a lot of dollars?"--

It depends on who's being aborted, doesn't it? See the founder of Planned Parenthood for an idea of where that leads.

It's another good reason that government shouldn't be subsidizing anyone for anything.

Posted by: msoja | November 9, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

The book "Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It" by Karen Solomon has a kimchi recipe in it, among other things. Unfortunately I haven't tried making the kimchi myself.

Posted by: regaltdp | November 10, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

I've never tried pork on fire, but the suicide curry at Spices in Cleveland Park is pretty intense. A little painful, but very good.

Posted by: BTW123 | November 10, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I'm not anti-abortion myself, but does it give you any pause at all to just refer to "choice". It just seems so Orwellian to me. Say what you mean. Could Obama have done more to make abortions easy to obtain.

Posted by: jhglassman | November 10, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

A Korean friend of mine who is an excellent cook who refuses to use any pre-prepared foods in her cooking (she makes her own tortillas, dumpling skins, salsas, pickles, etc.) told me this weekend she refuses to make her own kimchi. She says the two weeks of fermenting at room temp is not worth the minor pay-off of being almost as good as kimchi you can acquire from a Korean supermarket. As with all things food, I take her word for it.

Posted by: jonjonjonb | November 10, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

"does it give you any pause at all to just refer to "choice". It just seems so Orwellian to me"

It is not Orwellian at all. Probably tens of millions of people who are strongly Pro-Choice are anti-abortion and perhaps as many more are ambivalent. I would put myself in the latter category. But speaking for me I am a very strong believer in freedom and human autonomy, at the end of the day it is not my body. And autonomy directly implies the ability to choose, and not just in matters of reproduction.

When the pro-abortion rights movement first gained real heat and got inextricably mixed with the more radical factions of the womens' rights movement there was an attempted move to protray abortion as some sort of life-affirming act, as some sort of blow against the patriarchy, but that essentially crumpled in the face of the more humanistic "safe, legal, available and rare" message, especially in light of the more emotionally charged late term abortion struggle.

It is not like pro-choice people picket fertility clinics and obstetricians offices chanting "give death a chance". That is not at all what abortion rights is about.

Posted by: BruceWebb | November 10, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Saveur has an article on kimchi and several recipes in the November issue. Here's one:

As for hotter than pork on fire, I think the hottest thing we've ever had was up at Joe's Noodle House in Rockville, Szechuan Spicy Dry Beef Sautee. We'd been there several times, the owner knew us, and knew we wanted it the way it was made in China. Damn near blew my head off at first, but then you start picking up on the undertones of sweetness and smokyness.

Posted by: BiscuitGirl | November 10, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

The recipes that other people posted seem pretty good to me. I just wanted to add that you must get the red-pepper powder from a Korean store. My wife and I spent made many batches of Kimchi over the course of years, but never got the taste right until we used the right red pepper. For some reason, the Korean powders have some slightly sour aftertaste to them, and that makes the difference.

Posted by: Haschmi | November 11, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse