Lunch break

U2, Mick Jagger, Fergie and Will.I.Am team up to play "Gimme Shelter." I'm not a Fergie fan, but she kills it on this song.

By Ezra Klein  |  December 29, 2009; 12:34 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Theory meets reality; wins
Next: Ben Nelson in trouble back home

Comments

merry clayton she's not

Posted by: hughmaine | December 29, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Ezra. Edge went with Country Keith Richards, and not the sort of eerie, jangling style that reallly propels Gimme Shelter. Edge should've known better.

And as hughmaine says, Fergie's background vocals are utterly deficient compared to the original. Those vocals really made the original, too.

I feel betrayed.

Posted by: mattmdavis1 | December 29, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

If you want to hear a cool remake of Gimme Shelter, check out Streetlab's version. It takes the stuff that made it the best rock stuff of all time, and remixes the bejeezus out of it.

Posted by: mattmdavis1 | December 29, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Fan of yours, Ezra. But have to respectfully disagree on the Fergie part. "Gimme Shelter" is one of my favorite songs of all time. Quite frankly, Fergie kind of ruined it for me.

Posted by: Jafuchs78 | December 29, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Eh, it was ok. Jagger didn't sound great. Fergie was pretty good I thought. U2 sounded good. What exactly was Will.I.Am doing?

Posted by: MosBen | December 29, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

She looks the part, and of course Jagger continues to defy the laws of nature, but U2 is weak.

Check out this dude covering Radiohead. Better than the original IMO:

Posted by: bmull | December 29, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

U2 is terrible, and I think The Edge (seriously, he's still going by that "name"?) is the worst guitar player of all time. But I do think Fergie did rip the joint on that one. And Mick, well, man does that dude define rock and roll or what?

Agree on the Will.i.am comment. After his introduction it's like he disappeared entirely!

Posted by: deanlambrecht | December 30, 2009 12:30 AM | Report abuse