Remembering Carter correctly

cartertv.JPG"I was 9 when Jimmy Carter took office," says John Yoo. "I can remember him giving a speech in a funny sweater and asking people to turn down thermostats. And then there was the malaise speech. I thought they meant mayonnaise."

It's not clear whether Yoo thinks he remembers Carter saying "malaise" or just remembers people talking about Carter saying "malaise," but it's always worth reminding folks that the "malaise" speech didn't have the word malaise, and was actually an extremely popular address that did wonders for the president's poll numbers. The public was less supportive of Carter's decision to fire his Cabinet a couple of days later, however.

Photo credit: Washington Post file photo.

By Ezra Klein  |  December 29, 2009; 5:06 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A more partisan politics with more bipartisan results
Next: Federal Reserve beginning to pull back?

Comments

john yoo? i'm supposed to care what that disgraceful little bootlicker, one of the most disgraceful public servants ever, thinks about anything?

of course he's full of it about carter, as he is about everything else his little mind has ever encountered.

a better demonstration of the apparatchik mentality i hope never to see in the american government ever again than john yoo.

Posted by: howard16 | December 29, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I voted for Carter--twice. I did many other things during the twenty years from 1968 to 1988 that I now realize were extremely unwise.

I was reality challanged.

Posted by: bobsteph1234 | December 29, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Were cardigans really considered "funny" sweaters? I really cannot imagine a 9 year old John Yoo being so style conscious that we would have regarded a cardigan as a fashion violation.

Posted by: constans | December 29, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

I remember John Yoo saying that there's nothing to stop a president from crushing a child's testicles if he deems it an appropriate use of commander-in-chief powers.

But since when do we care about torture advocating lickspittles?

Posted by: pseudonymousinnc | December 29, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Solomon's interview with Yoo was one of the weakest, most superficial interviews I've ever read.

But it had that same nice, sprightly, fun tone that all of her 1-page interviews have. All her interviewees come out sounding the same, whether they are torturers or reality TV stars.

Too bad she wasn't around to interview Genghis Khan, Attila the Hun, et al. Would've been amusing copy.

Posted by: bcamarda2 | December 29, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

The thing Dems should remember about Carter is that he was run out office by the same national security-obsessed wackos that are giving Obama such a hard time now. Although these episodes are not preventable, there needs to be some housecleaning--Napolitano AND Lieberman should go.

Posted by: bmull | December 30, 2009 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Howard's got it right: Yoo who? Was Yoo trying to be funny? Why would anyone care what he has to say about Carter? And his opinion as a nine-year-old? Slipping on his Mayo no less. Scheesch.
CB in Hamburg