Harold Ford takes a page out of the Martha Coakley playbook

fordsurprised.JPGWhen the Boston Globe asked Martha Coakley whether her campaign hadn't been a bit too passive, it wasn't a great idea for Coakley to spit back, "As opposed to standing outside Fenway Park? In the cold? Shaking hands?" Uh, yeah. As opposed to those things. And when the New York Daily News asked Harold Ford for an interview, it probably wasn't wise for him to demand these terms:

In the interview, Ford responded to questions about the pedicures he mentioned to The New York Times by saying, "This race isn't about feet, it's about issues." Which he won't talk about. Oy.

Photo credit: Mark Humphrey/AP.

By Ezra Klein  |  January 19, 2010; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  2010 Midterms
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More Massachusetts context
Next: Lunch break

Comments

Your explanation of flawed candidates is an old one and used every time things don't go well.

It's never the message. It's never the party's broken promises, smokey back door deals and the vote buying at the expense of the rest of us.

Nah....that's not it

Posted by: WrongfulDeath | January 19, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | January 19, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

*I liked this guy. Even considered voting for him when I had a chance (senate race), and I generally vote against the Democrats, every time. But he seems to be going further and further off the deep end. Sigh.*

And the funny thing is that he hasn't changed a bit. His entire strategy is to attempt to garner the votes of guys like you. And not only does it make him look more and more foolish, but it doesn't even work!

Posted by: constans | January 19, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

The headline for me here is that the Times decided to go ahead and hold the interview while agreeing to these terms. Why?

And why ('going forward') would I want to pay money to read that interview online?

Posted by: hutchie6 | January 19, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

"The interview – granted under the condition that the questions be limited to his rationale for running, and not issues – comes at the end of a rocky first week of buzz surrounding his potential candidacy."

Who does this guy think he is? Sarah Palin?

Posted by: bkocheesh | January 19, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Harold Ford, previously a Congressman from Tennessee? Who CAN'T get elected Senator from New York? Apparently only New Yorkers can't get elected from New York. First a woman from Arkansas now a guy from Tennessee. Is there a schedule I should check? I'm from Virginia and I don't want to miss my turn to be a Senator from New York.

Posted by: mwcob | January 21, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse