Lunch break

Gordon Ramsay teaches you how to cook a steak in under three minutes. That's not to say the steak cooks in less than three minutes. The learning just doesn't take long. You know what I mean.

By Ezra Klein  |  January 12, 2010; 1:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Study: Obama better at bending Congress than Lyndon Johnson
Next: States with gay-marriage bans are seeing higher divorce rates

Comments

That is an aggressively unhealthy way to cook it. Oil and butter?

You can do the same thing in the broiler or on the grill and save yourself a dozen grams of fat.

Posted by: russell1820 | January 12, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Yes, but then it won't taste like butter...

Posted by: Ezra Klein | January 12, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

You asked earlier (or somewhere else here) if we want you to continue with the daily food/recipe posts.

I say yes ... or ... a daily post re: any subject that is in stark contrast to, and therefore jolts us out of, our politico-stupor.

Posted by: onewing1 | January 12, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Skip the butter if it's a concern.

I actually prefer the taste of my pan fried New Yorks at this point over my grilled or broiled New Yorks. It's not the butter, as I don't use it in more than 1 out of 15-20 times I pan fry.

John

Posted by: toshiaki | January 12, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I've always done the technique that I believe is found in Bittman's book. Really hot pan, seared quickly on each side to lock in the juices, then into the oven for a bit to finish off the cooking.

Steaks in a pan can smoke quite a bit (depending on the oil you use), so its nice to get some of the cooking done in the oven rather than fill your kitchen with smoke.

It has always worked well for me.

Posted by: nylund | January 13, 2010 1:16 AM | Report abuse