Lunch break

A primatologist with the best beard I've ever seen explains what makes humans unique.

By Ezra Klein  |  January 22, 2010; 2:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Money, money, money ... money!
Next: Tom Toles gets a look at the Democratic playbook

Comments

You're right, that's some awesome hair. You can only sport that look if you have tenure.

Posted by: bmull | January 22, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Oh, haha. Robert Sapolsky. Not really a primatologist, exactly; a neuroendocrinologist with a background in zoology. A great scientist, unfailingly entertaining speaker and writer, and my inspiration for going into science. Also: surprisingly short, and incredibly nice in person.

Posted by: piminnowcheez | January 22, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I used to be his editor!

Posted by: scarlota | January 22, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I saw this talk live.

I just wanted to say that.

Posted by: constans | January 22, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

You like beards? You can have beards:

Posted by: JonathanTE | January 22, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

That is totally awesome, but, uhm, why is the last part unique to humans? I can't even imagine how would you design a test for it...

Inspiring, sure, but really definitional of what makes us human?

Posted by: thescuspeaks | January 22, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Professor explains (starting at 26:30) how uncertainty can be exploited to build enthusiasm for a task.

This is one reason we now have people coming out of the woodwork with dire proclamations about how we must pass this decidedly weak Senate health reform bill, or else.

Posted by: bmull | January 22, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse