Lunch break

I've said some unkind things about cats on this blog. But that's only because I'd never seen one defeat a bear in claw-to-claw combat.

By Ezra Klein  |  January 25, 2010; 12:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Think Tank: Medical malpractice, China and the hot new place for poverty
Next: The new financial reform strategy

Comments

Hey Ezra,

I hope you'll read this powerful sob story by a TPM reader (http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2010/01/one_readers_sob-story.php#more). It goes to what you were discussing last week

Posted by: moronjim | January 25, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that is a brave cat -- displaying the kind of courage the Ds badly need right now on health care reform!

Posted by: hillgirl8024 | January 25, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Not cool that the people start laughing waaaaay before it's clear that the cat isn't about to get eaten...

Posted by: bean3 | January 25, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

No way was that cat about to be eaten, even the little toddler could see that right away. The moment it attacked it had charge of the situation. It didn't seem to give a monkey's about the bag though, which was interesting. Its main aim was to get rid of the bear. So a guard cat will protect your personal safety but not your possessions.

My cousins had a cat for many years that did the same basic thing on a routine basis with their Newfoundland dogs, which are about the same size and not too far off the same appearance as that bear.

Posted by: dblissmn | January 25, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

PS, Google Jack the Cat in West Milford, New Jersey, who was widely featured after treeing a bear in the family's back yard. Relevant information; Jack sent the bear up a tree and kept him there until called inside by his owner, even though he was declawed.

Posted by: dblissmn | January 25, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm betting there won't be any complaining the next time kitty wants out at 2 am in the morning.

Posted by: Jaycal | January 25, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I've seen cats routinely chase off foxes, coyotes and raccoons. My Manx growls at strangers to warn me that someone is coming to the door. Cats can be pretty territorial.

Posted by: carolcarre | January 25, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Funny the instinct is to hopefully identify Ds with the feisty cat, when clearly the bear is the Democrats in this scenario - except that actual congressional Democrats would have left the bag before running away. That bear could have crushed the cat with one blow, but was afraid because the little thing got its back up. Bear needs some balls beer. Bad.

Posted by: Art27 | January 25, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I don't remember you being mean to cats in this blog, but this changes things considerably.

Posted by: HerooftheBeach | January 26, 2010 3:35 AM | Report abuse