New Democratic talking points: 'We give up'

Reading the new talking points distributed to Senate Democrats, you'd think Republicans had won a majority last night, not shave a 20-vote deficit to a 19-vote deficit. It's as if they took Roy Edroso's headline -- "Scott Brown Wins Mass. Race, Giving GOP 41-59 Majority in the Senate" -- seriously.

By Ezra Klein  |  January 20, 2010; 3:27 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sometimes, a bunny is just a bunny
Next: Do Republicans freak out like this?

Comments

"Mathematically impossible" is the amazing bit. Why didn't the memo just say, "Here, let us tie our hands for you, we weren't going to use them anyway." Otherwise, blame the republicans!

Posted by: murtha11 | January 20, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Dear Ezra,

Why are democrats not worried about a base thoroughly demoralized by their inability to achieve measurable policy goals? I am not a registered democrat, but I generally support the party. I don't see how I can enthusiastically support the party's candidates if they are unable to achieve anything. What the democrats risk creating now is what I call the John Kerry problem. John Kerry generated such lukewarm support among the base and "sympathizers" that he lost against a president that laughed at anything resembling a "progressive" value. Al Gore faced a similar problem. Healthcare reform is very important to me, as are many of the other initiatives on the table. With healthcare reform so close, I don't see how they can abandon it.

Posted by: academicnomad | January 20, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

It's an 18-vote deficit now, not 19.

Posted by: you-dont | January 20, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

new bumpersticker for democrats....

"the new filial cannibalism."

"We Eat Our Own."

rush limbaugh must be thinking today,"with friends like frank, wiener and webb, who needs enemies...hahahaha!!"

Posted by: jkaren | January 20, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I just watched the Obama teaser-excerpt from ABC news (w/Stephanopolis) and I think Obama is playing it right - that he is respecting the message he heard in the MA election and thinks ramming thru HCR right now is not gonna work.

I still don't excuse Jim Webb or Barney Frank for seeming to flail around all cowardly on this, but Obama has a way of bringing the message out that doesn't seem so pathetic. You get the sense from him that he is playing long ball, and that lesser men like Webb and Frank are just approaching this from hack-politician or defeatocrat stance.

Maybe I'm all sucked into the optics and charisma of Obama, but that matters, dangit.

Reagan built a movement on optics and charisma. I'm pretty sure he had his own sorts of comparable problems from his legislators...but it sure seems icky right now at their end of Pennsylvania Ave. I put that at the feet of Pelosi and Reid, who just ooze weakness to me.

Posted by: RalfW | January 20, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

They've been looking for any excuse to fail for months now. They've been trying SO HARD to not have to be responsible.

Posted by: adamiani | January 20, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

sorry, i left out howard dean's name by mistake.
if this bill gets passed, it will be no thanks to him.
he has a pocket full of banana peels disguised as good intentions.

Posted by: jkaren | January 20, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

academicnomad said:
"Why are democrats not worried about a base thoroughly demoralized by their inability to achieve measurable policy goals? I am not a registered democrat, but I generally support the party. I don't see how I can enthusiastically support the party's candidates if they are unable to achieve anything."

I *strongly* agree. It doesn't matter whether you trust someone or how good their intentions are if they can never follow through when it matters.

Posted by: notwithstanding | January 20, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Adamiani is right, the Dems ar eafcraid to govern. They are relieved to have an excuse now. They have lost any semblance of self-confidence they ever had (the Congressional Dems). They don't really sem to care about the base, just the corporate interests who fund them. They don't seem to understand that when they ran on a competence platform in 2008 the voters expected them to deliver, not to quake around afraid of ruffling the feathers of the moneyed interests or the teapartiers.

This is really such a sad spectacle. I can't imagine the GOP going into such a tailspin after losing one special election--look how they spun their loss in NY 23 into a victory--but it seems to be a reflex action for Dems. Beyond depessing.

Posted by: Mimikatz | January 20, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse