Reid: Senate will address climate change in spring

He's also fighting Sen. Lisa Murkowski's effort to block the EPA from regulating carbon if Congress fails to act. Full speech, in which he notes that "the rules of the Senate make it easy for a determined minority to stand in the way of all the good ideas you’re hearing at this forum," here.

Via Brad Plumer.

By Ezra Klein  |  January 15, 2010; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  Climate Change
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: I'll be on Dylan Ratigan's show from 4-5 pm eastern
Next: The importance of good building codes

Comments

I'm sorry, I understand how the minority could prevent passing the House climate change bill, but how does Murkowski have anywhere near the votes to threaten blocking the EPA? She damn well better need 60 votes to do anything she wants, just like the majority party.

Posted by: _SP_ | January 15, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Reid said, "I *expect* the Senate will address climate change in spring." I expect it will not.

Posted by: bmull | January 15, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

My understanding is that she's trying to append this to the bill that increases the debt ceiling because that bill obviously has to pass.

Posted by: MosBen | January 15, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Reid is not only a lame duck, he's pretty much a dead duck when it comes to climate change legislation.

The science becamse somewhat "unsettled" during the last several months. You can look it up.

Posted by: Curmudgeon10 | January 16, 2010 2:55 AM | Report abuse

The latest science on "climate change", formerly known as global warming:
It rained so hard the day I left
the weather it was dry