Tab dump

1) System failure: An assessment of Obama's first year in office.

2) "Vampires with Dreaming Kids" is the most indie name I have heard for anything, ever.

3) PDF: How political parties control presidential primaries (pdf).

4) Chart: Average annual health-care spending growth rates for selected time periods.

5) Pillow talk between actual pillows.

6) I like dill, but this is an entertaining anti-dill rant.

Recipe of the day: New readers, I fear, may not know my kung pao recipe.

By Ezra Klein  |  January 14, 2010; 7:48 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Barack Obama on repeal of health-care reform: 'That is a fight I want to have'
Next: Do national exchanges wreck Ben Nelson's abortion compromise?

Comments

RE #4. Would it kill them to convert everything to real terms rather than nominal?

Posted by: nylund | January 15, 2010 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Interesting Obama now wants to cut data exclusivity for biologics from 12 to 10 years. Still too long to foster generics so CBO savings will be nil. Why is he doing this?

Posted by: bmull | January 15, 2010 3:06 AM | Report abuse

I love ezra, but he really should have mentioned that the (admittedly delicious) kung pao recipe was derived from this one, published by Fuchsia Dunlop.

There was a dustup about this when he first posted it at the American Prospect, but I chalked it up to a one-time mistake. Even if Ezra's version is slightly different, the original author deserves at least a hat tip or a shout-out or some sort of acknowledgment, especially since the wording in the two recipes is nearly identical.

Posted by: walkerc1 | January 15, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

This is actually a comment on the Chris Hayes piece in the Tab Dump. Hayes claims that the disease that infects the American polity is Corporatism: the conjunction of state and private corporations in securing public goods. The solution to this problem is rebalancing power from the wealthy oligarchy to the masses, as through campaign finance reform, breaking up big banks, passing the Employee Free Choice ACt, and legalizing undocumented workers. Having read this, I wonder what Hayes thinks of European states like Germany, where such corpoaratism is the norm. There is no national health insurance but private insurance that are regulated by the government. Similarly, in Canada there are only a handful of VERY large, nationally chartered banks. Finally, only the United States is considering legalizing undocumented workers: European social democracies like France and Austria are fighting like hell to send them home. (French President Sarkozy promised during his campaign to expel 20,000 each year, regardless of what judicial proceedings found.)

Posted by: mjames2 | January 15, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I've been making Ezra's kung pao. I find I get slightly better results if I double the marinade amount.

Posted by: UberMitch | January 15, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

(1) and (3) are really good stuff; there's a tension between the findings you agree with and the structure of your job. How do you report on the shift we need but don;t have: a more engaged citizenry clawing back power?

Posted by: DaffyDuck2 | January 15, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Yes - #1 is right on, brilliant analysis by Hayes, and I love his allegory of having to pay money to the protection racket simply in order to ease misery, in the first pass at least.

Obama (and I'm a fan of his) will be around for 7 more years. Some of this protection racket will get broken up in that time. But taking sure little steps, and not to lose footing along the way, is the real challenge for him.

Posted by: rosshunter | January 15, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse