Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

The Senate bill has precedent for opening the exchanges in 2017

Looking back through the Senate bill, it turns out that it actually said that "beginning in 2017, each State may allow issuers of health insurance coverage in the large group market in the State to offer qualified health plans in such market through an Exchange."

In other words, beginning in 2017, states can open the exchanges to all employers. That puts yesterday's deal in a different light: It would not be a very large jump from allowing states to bring large employers into the exchange in 2017 to telling them to bring large employers into the exchanges in 2017.

By Ezra Klein  |  January 15, 2010; 11:16 AM ET
Categories:  Health Reform  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 10.2% of the population can filibuster the other 89.8%
Next: The idea that would've been better than the excise tax

No comments have been posted to this entry.

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company