Celebrities: They're just like us, only prettier

stars_125.jpg

The photograph above is of the Beatles. John Lennon is 16. Paul McCartney is 15. George Harrison is 14. It comes from this set of rare photos of famous people. Thanks to Alyssa Rosenberg for the pointer.

By Ezra Klein  |  February 3, 2010; 2:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thomas Friedman is not allowed to manage my money
Next: The primacy of process

Comments

Jeeze, look at those guys. They really *are* pretty. Makes me kinda nostalgic, even though that picture was taken before I was born. When I look at our current musical landscape, there's a lot of talent, but I miss the Beatles.

Great picture.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | February 3, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Did you see the photo of Marilyn Monroe and JFK? It's sweet and horrible (both for obvious reasons) at the same time.

Posted by: eRobin1 | February 3, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

That's a great link. The pictures of John Voight and Angelina Jolie, given how that relationship turned out, are really sad. Love the modeling pictures of Tim Roth and Christopher Walken as cheesecake. I can't believe you didn't pick the pic of Christopher Walken. Wow. Great pictures of Audrey Hepburn and the template for the man's man, Clarke Gable.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | February 3, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Ah! Paul before he died.

And the 4th looks like possibly Stu Sutcliffe (http://www.dougiethompson.com/images/stuart-sutcliffe-john-lenn2.jpg).

Posted by: pj_camp | February 3, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I don't know. Most of them look pretty normal to me. But I'd hate to have any of their jobs. What a drag celebrity must be. I'd probably go unibomber (or, more likely, passively eccentric recluse) if I were in any of their shoes. It'd be like seeing all the world's dysfunction magnified in high-def all the time. Ick.

Posted by: slag | February 3, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

That's a picture of the lads (and some other guy -- Sutcliffe was a real looker, no offense to the fourth fellow in the photo) taken at a reception after George's brother's wedding ( http://www.dmbeatles.com/picture.php?picture=648 ). The photo is said to be from 1958, so the three would have been a bit older than said in Ezra's note -- 18, 16 and 15 would be the ages.

Note that McCartney is playing guitar, and not yet bass (which he took up when Sutcliffe left the Hamburg Beatles). He continued playing guitar in Beatle recorded work -- for the benefit of the younger folks, many of the most interesting guitar bits in the Beatle catalog (Taxman, Gotta get you into my life, anything pretty funky) are likely to be McCartney.

Posted by: bdballard | February 3, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

The JFK and Monroe is a fake, done by artist Alison Jackson. Maybe more are too. http://www.mbfala.com/artists/_Alison%20Jackson/_other%20works/_942,28/

Posted by: Hazelite | February 3, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse