Lunch break

Google had, by far, the best Superbowl ad last night. For one thing, it wasn't based around rank hatred of women. For another, it managed to be poignant and touching in the space of 30 seconds. It was as much short movie as commercial. And it turns out Google has a bunch of them. This one fits in with the topics of this blog:

By Ezra Klein  |  February 8, 2010; 1:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A primer on the antitrust exemption for insurers
Next: There's something new under the sun

Comments

"For one thing, it wasn't based around rank hatred of women."

Seriously, what was up with that?

Posted by: Chris_O | February 8, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

The woman thing sounds like ginned up juicebox mafia shtick.

Posted by: snannerb | February 8, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I don't know, I kind of liked the one with Letterman, Leno, and Oprah sitting on a couch watching the Super Bowl.

Posted by: AuthorEditor | February 8, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

When they first launched these online there was a great Bruce Wayne video but they've removed it without explanation.

Posted by: mbsnead | February 8, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Nice try Ezra, but the Snickers/Betty White ad was the best...hands down. (The CareerBuilder is good for a laugh too.)

Posted by: cjo30080 | February 8, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I enjoyed the Google ad too -- it reminded me to times in my own past when I might have done similar searches (I recall physically searching for an affordable crib quite well!). And the ad must have been effective in its minimalism -- my 15 yr old son came downstairs to say that the Google ad was really worth seeing -- I suppose it gave a narrative and emotional arc to something he takes utterly for granted.

I don't know why, but I'm always a sucker for a Danica Patrick ad. I don't really care much about the floozies and oddballs in the goDaddy ads -- I just find her engaging once a year.

Posted by: bdballard | February 8, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I really liked the Google ad too.

Seeing just that crisp text on a clean white background on my HD TV reminded me of why I liked the spare Google interface when it first appeared.

The commercial was cool in part because it was so clean and understated (but still with a lot going on in the audio and video), which made it stand out from the all the frenetic visuals in the programming and ads around it.

I also agree with Ezra's point that the underlying narrative of romance, love, marriage, and family, was a nice and very effective counter-point to the bikini-lingierie saturation in conventional Super Bowl advertising.

A classy and effective ad , for sure.

Posted by: Patrick_M | February 9, 2010 4:22 AM | Report abuse