Serious professionals

Leave it to the GOP to make a harsh partisan attack out of Valentine's Day.

By Ezra Klein  |  February 10, 2010; 11:26 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Scott Brown to write a book
Next: What Obama could learn from Bush

Comments

Harsh Attack? "In My Capacity as Senator from Minnesota, I Object To This Valentines Day Card".

Okay, the ACORN card is a little harsh. A lot of the references seem to be a little too inside baseball to me. But, maybe not. I'm still going with the Al Franken card as my favorite. Most of the rest just aren't particular funny.

"I've saved or created millions of valentines". That's not so bad.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | February 10, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Ezra, you're forgetting the "dumb humor demographic" that makes up the bulk of the Republican party that thinks these are "funny." (like Rush, it's satire!)

Posted by: tyromania | February 10, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

The first two comments are right -- these cards are just lame. Don't people have anything better to do with their lives? Do they even have lives? I mean, sending an Obama card that says "You Won't See This on C-Span" is just . . . pointless.

Posted by: simpleton1 | February 10, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I think they missed a choice showing Obama kissing Hitler, hugging Pol Pot, and patting the butt of Stalin, while stealing an amorous glance at Golda Meier.

The Dems should respond by emailing a link to every taxpayer known to the IRS (and give the GOP a real cause for ruckus):

[Rachel Maddow dissection of the GOP]

BTW: you were good on Rachel's show last night.

Posted by: JimPortlandOR | February 10, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I can tell you've never received e-mails from your Republican father with Obama photoshopped as a muslim, etc, etc.

This is tame, compared to what Republicans usually consider to be funny. Specially old, retired conservative Republicans who learn how to use a computer and spend all day sending "funny" e-mails that "prove" their point.

Sigh...

Posted by: JERiv | February 10, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

JERiv, you're probably well aware of this, but anyone who hasn't already discovered it should check out http://myrightwingdad.blogspot.com/ to stay abreast in the latest in Republican humor and give you an idea about what they're saying to each other.

Posted by: tyromania | February 10, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Maybe these valentine cards come from bored Republican Senate staffers. I always wonder what those people actually do all day, when their Senator's only purpose in life is to cast "no" votes.

That's probably also the reason that Scott Brown has decided he now has the time to write his autobiography...a good way to kill time.

Posted by: Patrick_M | February 10, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Someone else linked to this GOP silliness earlier today, and as a Minnesotan, I was interested to see Al Franken. So I clicked, and I have to admit, I just don't even get the joke.

"In My Capacity as Senator from Minnesota, I Object To This Valentines Day Card" Uh, okaaaaay. GOP, what is the point?

Posted by: RalfW | February 10, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

RalfW,

The Franken reference comes from the final week of the health care debate on the floor of the Senate in December.

At one point Al Franken was presiding over the debate while Joe Lieberman was making remarks on the floor. Franken informed Lieberman that he had exhausted his time, and Lieberman requested additional time. Franken (who was under instructions from Harry Reid to keep the schedule as tight as possible because of the looming Christmas recess), objected, in the words quoted in the card.

As to whether or not there is something funny about using that quote in the context of the Valentine card, you'll have to consult a Republican to find out. The humor is not apparent to me.

Posted by: Patrick_M | February 10, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse