Simple solutions to simple problems

I realize there are lots of problems that cannot be solved just by throwing money at them, but snow removal is not one of them.

That's Steve Pearlstein, whose column today wins the award for Best Use of the Snowstorm in Service of a Political Point.

By Ezra Klein  |  February 10, 2010; 1:54 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: No, the snow does not disprove global warming
Next: Getting real about bill length

Comments

He loses a point for using "throwing" instead of "shoveling" in this context.

Posted by: adamiani | February 10, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Rather than throwing money, they should throw rock salt and snow plows. That would work better.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | February 10, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

"He loses a point for using "throwing" instead of "shoveling" in this context."

Agreed. I was thinking the same thing.

Beyond which, you just know Republicans would be out in the streets with their rulers and a stopwatch pointing out that there's been 1.06 feet of snow on the ground in their neighborhood for 36.003 hours now, which only proves that GOVERNMENT CAN'T DO ANYTHING RIGHT! And completely ignoring the fact that government built the street they're standing on.

Posted by: slag | February 10, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

The other thing it takes is simple willpower. Those of us who live in the snow belt (where there is no snow this winter) just have to laugh a bit at all the moaning and groaning about the weather. We routinely deal with it, almost every winter. I can remember one January where I shoveled out my house every single day, both before and after work, for the entire month! Folks, it isn't rocket science. Get a shovel and get to work. And don't forget your neighbor who might not be up to the task.

Posted by: AuthorEditor | February 10, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

My neighbors and I pay for our own snowplow service...can't wait for the government. And the developer actually built the street I live on. They did pay the county fees to inspect it though, and I am thankful for that.

Posted by: staticvars | February 11, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse