Strange world

Growing up, I never really considered the possibility that my job would one day entail Skype chats with Diane Sawyer.

By Ezra Klein  |  February 25, 2010; 3:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: How does Washington decide what insurance is?
Next: Competition is important for health-care insurance, but loosening regulations won't achieve it

Comments

but it's a cool gig if you can get it...

Posted by: freaktown | February 25, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Bigger and bigger, higher and higher. Watch out ... don't forget the little people when you get there.

Posted by: onewing1 | February 25, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Ezra, did you expect to be where you now even last spring? Let's face it - health care may not have had a great year, but you certainly have. You've really made yourself this year. Congrats.

Posted by: Isa8686 | February 25, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I, personally, hope you're childhood involved imagining things a lot better than a chat with old(er) women?

Posted by: pennyhutchinson | February 25, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

she sounded wierd, insouciant, bored and unknowledgable.

Posted by: jkaren | February 25, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if she believed most of her premises, or if she was just setting them up so you could knock them down. Either way, that was about as good a demonstration of facts combating conventional wisdom as could possibly be crammed into four minutes.

Bravo, Ezra.

PS Her questions teed up the points you wanted to make so well, I'm almost inclined to believe it was intentional on her part.

Posted by: jleaux | February 25, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that cannot be Diane Sawyer's actual desk, can it? A generic grey cubicle? Please say she just borrowed it to skype. :-)

Posted by: laura33 | February 25, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I was kind of annoyed that she seemed to be taking these "conventional wisdom" talking points and going with them until I considered that maybe she was just allowing you to knock them down. You did really well, though I think you should have smiled more. It's Diane Sawyer, dude!

As to your continued success, I can't believe that I started reading you when you were still in college (and I was just out as an '02 grad). Your ever rising celebrity and increasing knowledge as compared with my own modest successes has made me incredibly jealous. When we meet on the field of battle, good sir, you shall know my blade. Until then, keep up the blogging.

Posted by: MosBen | February 25, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

"she sounded wierd, insouciant, bored and unknowledgable."

Yep. That's how you can tell it is really Diane. She has sounded that way since at least the early 1970's, when she worked for Richard Nixon.

Posted by: Patrick_M | February 25, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Remember, when you get to the top, immediately forget all the little people and have interns do your blog.

Also, become a recluse, never shave, survive on a diet of nothing but Ho-Hos and coffee, only speak to your lessers who go out into the filthy, germ-infest world to do your bidding through a tiny peephole in your door, and don't forget to announce, publicly and repeatedly, that you are the smartest man who has ever lived. And then laugh maniacally.

That's how it's done.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | February 25, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Watching the video again. Ezra should hope that healthcare just keeps failing, just keeps coming back, or at least stays a major news story. Ezra comes off with Diane Sawyer like he knows *everything* about healthcare. If the healthcare stuff keeps churning, whose the talking head people are going to want most? They're going to want Ezra.

Smartest man who ever lived. Just remember to laugh maniacally, next time.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | February 25, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

She was giving off a strong "Mrs. Robinson" vibe.

Posted by: TigerCats | February 25, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Patrick_M

do you think that was really diane sawyer, or meryl streep?
:-)

Posted by: jkaren | February 25, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

@Dianne Sawyer: "At the end of the day the biggest driver of health care costs is fee-for-service, which is to say we go into our doctor and they order a lot of tests and a lot of scans, and what are the figures? What percentage of medicine and procedures we get that are unnecessary, is it something that is one out of four?"

@Ezra: "The problem is that doctors are very popular. So too are fairly hospitals and other pieces of it that aren't insurers. So we have had a political discussion that has focussed on insurers and had solutions relating to insurers when a lot of the costs is with doctors. But frankly if the Administration took on doctors they would out of office in two years."

Ezra, there are two very important points that you made.

The first is that we are not solving the *real* problem regarding health care reform.

The second is that only a second term Administration can solve the problem.

Obama should try again in 2013.

Posted by: msa_intp | February 25, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Ezra:

Wouldn't it be stranger if, when growing up you actually DID consider the possibility that your job would one day entail Skype chats with Diane Sawyer. I mean you'd be, like, a witch.

Posted by: EricthePoliticalHack | February 25, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Growing up, I never considered the possibility that someone my age would be patiently trying to demonstrate to a top network anchor what halfway substantive policy discussion might look like. And being cheerfully undermined at every turn.

But you know what, it probably wouldn't have surprised me.

("You think they're REALLY gonna try for that??" Uh... this was on the air? Did she *know* it was on the air?)

Posted by: jes7 | February 25, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

This dog and pony 'show' was too funny.I mean really,how can anyone take Obama seriously,and if these slick jokers try to use the nuclear option to ram this threw,I guarantee when they are out of power(and they will be)then the repubs will use the same option to repeal all of king obama's shenanigans.What a circus. Obama sounded like a Chicago punk the way he disrespected John McCain,who is a true patriot and war hero.It's more audacity and NO hope.And if anyone who hasn't stopped campaigning it's Mr still wet behind the ears community organizer in chief!!!He has truly shown his true arrogant elitist colors.2012 cant come fast enough.He is a horrible horrible president that does anything BUT inspire patriotism and real love for America.God help us

Posted by: votingrevolution | February 26, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Just now watched this. Great job, EK!

I actually think you ARE one of the few people around with a command of this issue. Every time I hear some other 'head' misinforming their audience, I think "you shoulda called Ezra for the guest spot!"

Posted by: onewing1 | February 26, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse