Tab dump

1) Economist Alan Blinder assesses the costs and benefits of the job-creation proposals.

2) Thinking through what a responsible 2020 budget would look like is a bit scary.

3) What Grant Achatz saw at El Bulli.

4) "The evidence presented here powerfully refutes the widespread popular belief that America’s Hispanics have high crime rates." And you'll never guess where "here" is.

5) The New Yorker profiles Neil Gaiman.

6) I'll be on Olbermann tonight at about 8:10 Eastern.

Recipe of the day: Eggs in purgatory with artichoke hearts, potatoes and capers.

I'd wish you a good weekend, but the Constitution doesn't say anything about weekends, so neither will I.

By Ezra Klein  |  February 19, 2010; 6:39 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Relax about the debt
Next: Reid: Democrats will use reconciliation to finish health-care reform

Comments

...or orphan drugs or meat inspectors. Or internet license renewals. Or air traffic control.

Not to mention airbags, highways, oil and gas leases.

Or hospitals for our veterans of foreign wars.

Customs inspectors? I can't remember if that's in there. Homeland security? I think not that. Prisons on foreign soil? The FBI? None of that in there that I can recall.

Posted by: luko | February 19, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

The 10th Amendment provides that powers that the United States Constitution does not give to the federal government, or forbid to the states, are reserved to the states or the people.

I'm pretty sure that means I can wish you a good weekend!

Posted by: bgmma50 | February 19, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

where'd they get that cool parchment web page?

Posted by: gagkk | February 20, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

I've blocked Olberman using the V-Chip in my computer.

The constitution is a limiting document listing restrictions of the federal government and therefore if it says nothing about having a good weekend, that means it is perfectly fine to do so.

Have a good weekend.

Posted by: FastEddieO007 | February 20, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

What time of day do you serve "eggs in purgatory"?

Posted by: cpurick | February 20, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

The Civil Rights Act passed the Senate on a vote of 73-27 after a threatened filibuster conducted by BOTH Democrats and Republicans was thwarted by a compromise bill introduced by BOTH Democrats and Republicans.

Obama should follow the model of bipartisanship that won universal acceptance of the Civil Rights Act. he should shelve the current bills that only rigid partisans claim as being bipartisan and have Paul Ryan and Nancy Pelosi sit alone in a locked room. Trust me, Paul Ryan will have much more motive to come up with a compromise than Nancy Pelosi does.

Posted by: FastEddieO007 | February 20, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I wish Neil Gaiman would focus on writing comics again rather than these "award winning children's books" and "books adapted into major motion pictures".

Posted by: MosBen | February 20, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

"What time of day do you serve "eggs in purgatory"?

i think we cant know what time of day eggs would be served in purgatory, but i think we can say with certainty, they wouldnt be served on the sixth terrace there!

Posted by: jkaren | February 20, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Purgatory?

pur·ga·to·ry[ púrgə tàwree ]NOUN
1. place of suffering: in Roman Catholic doctrine, the place where souls remain until they have expiated their sins and can go to heaven
2. miserable situation: an extremely uncomfortable, painful, or unpleasant situation or experience

Neither definition sounds especially appetizing. Funny name.

Have you actually made this one Ezra? It sounds like an odd combination of flavors and textures to me, but perhaps I am having a failure of the imagination.

Posted by: Patrick_M | February 21, 2010 1:14 AM | Report abuse

egg dish sounds good, and versatile. Has anyone ever tried cooking oxtails (with appropriate veggies, of course) in a tagine?

Posted by: gagkk | February 21, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

"has anyone ever tried cooking oxtails (with appropriate veggies, of course) in a tagine?"

no. never.

have never cooked or considered cooking the tail of an ox...or dreamt of looking at the tail of an ox without a tassel of fur on it, attached securely to the rest of the ox.

Posted by: jkaren | February 21, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

jkaren, think of it as "oxtail in hell" (in some parts of the country, that is a rhyme). but it's the "in a tagine" bit I'm especially interested in.

Posted by: gagkk | February 21, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse