Wrap-up

I've been thinking of changing the format of tab dump a little bit. I write a lot of posts during the day, and not everybody gets to all of them. My hunch, in fact, is that some of you only check in occasionally! So I've been thinking of beginning tab dump with a quick recap of the day's better posts. It would look sort of like this:

I begged Evan Bayh to stay in the Senate, defended Barack Obama's decision to try and actually solve problems, assessed the White House's health-care reform proposal, looked at five conservative health-care reform proposals, and linked to my very first Newsweek column. Oh, and Dylan Matthews explained how the French government functions. Here's what I didn't get to:

1) How to reform the Senate without touching the filibuster.

2) Doing something about climate change is good economics.

3) This editorial appears to be about George Will, but seems too polite to just come out and say that.

4) More than 10,000 words on Paul Krugman.

5) Rules for fiction writers, by fiction writers.

6) I'll be on Rachel Maddow tonight. Should be on right at the beginning of the program.

Recipe of the day: Red wine bagna cauda.

So: Is that more useful to people?

By Ezra Klein  |  February 22, 2010; 7:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Scott Brown uses his independent voice
Next: Jay Rockefeller's inconvenient honesty on the public option

Comments

Some people only check in occasionally?

Posted by: roquelaure_79 | February 22, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

I like it. My only suggestion would be to phrase the first part as a list as well. If I'm just dropping in, then you can help me by making your links as easy to read as possible.

e.g.

I...
1) begged Evan Bayh to stay in the Senate
2) defended Barack Obama's decision to try and actually solve problems
3) assessed the White House's health-care reform proposal
4) looked at five conservative health-care reform proposals
And...
5) Dylan Matthews explained how the French government functions

Posted by: zosima | February 22, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Dude, you're ripping off Sully? Kidding. The wrap is cool.

Posted by: StokeyWan | February 22, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

I like it, Ezra, but I know how to scroll down too and read all your rantings whether they are at the top or not. Thanks and keep up the great work.

Posted by: LiberalForReal | February 22, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

I agree with comment #1: People only check in occasionally?

But seriously, I like the change. Makes sense, it's a logical change, and it'll be nice to know that if it so happens I'm too busy and work and lose track of the daily posts, I can catch up afterward.

I'm a blog reader and I approved this message.

Posted by: TheFactsFax | February 22, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

It's getting pretty busy. All those hyperlinks and blurbs and bullet points and things start to look pretty jumbled.

Posted by: simpleton1 | February 22, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Best way to keep up...

Google Reader + RSS feeds

Posted by: kingstu01 | February 22, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

i like this much better.

Posted by: natergee | February 22, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

First you get an underblogger just like Sully and now you are doing a daily wrap just like him too? I don't like where this is going....

;p

(it's a good idea)

Posted by: silentbeep | February 22, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

I like the addition! The format reads well, nice job.

Posted by: jbouklas | February 22, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

I'd honestly rather you have more links to outside posts like your 1-5 (6, i've got real troubles with)

anyone that can't scroll down is just lazy.

Posted by: visionbrkr | February 22, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

I like the changes.

Posted by: gocowboys | February 22, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

I use RSS feeds so I get all your posts, so I take offense at that "checking in only occasionally" reference :-)

I do like the suggested wrap up.

Posted by: scott1959 | February 22, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh no! I love the traditional tab dump with interesting links I would have never stumbled on otherwise. Like Ironman vs. Capt. America

Posted by: ChrisCopenhagen | February 22, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I like zosima's suggestion.

Posted by: elizabethsqg | February 22, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

A wrap up is fine, but I'd prefer you keep it separate from the tab dump. That way us regular readers can more easily skip it.

Posted by: jginsbu | February 22, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

I like it. Only change I would suggest is to put the sentence "Here's what I didn't get to" on a seperate line. I wouldn't make the first paragraph seperate lines - it would make the whole thing too long.

Posted by: JohnN79 | February 22, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Ezra, your POS surrender bit for Newsweek is offset by that Krugman link -- thanks!

Posted by: AZProgressive | February 22, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I think it's a great idea, but I'd agree with JohnN79 about adding a clearer delineation between your internal link list and the 'tab dump' list by moving the "Here's what I didn't get to line" down (and maybe rephrasing it for clarification?).

Neato.

Posted by: jborthwick | February 22, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

The purpose the Daily Wrap serves is to make manageable an unruly number of posts over the day. You don't have an unruly number of posts, and they're all usually on the same page. Plus, unlike Andrew Sullivan, you don't do the 1 paragraph then jump thing (thanks so much for that!), so its utility is again lessened.

That and I love the very Ezra nature of the tab dump & recipe -- it's very indicative of your great economy of means.

Posted by: jwb81 | February 22, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I vote for NOT adding the recap, unless for some reason the number of daily entries in the blog goes way up (to Andrew Sullivan levels).

I too like the simplicity of the list of "extra credit reading," and the recipe.

However, I would favor a more appealing name than "tab dump."

Posted by: Patrick_M | February 22, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Good idea...I know I can check in toward the end of the day and catch a round-up. Sometimes I click on at "dumped tap" and get absorbed in that, something happens - like dinner - and...

Posted by: brucds | February 22, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Yum. That red wine bagna cauda recipe soon looks really good.

Posted by: bgmma50 | February 22, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

The number of posts in a typical Ezra day is plenty manageable without a summary. I would take pains to keep the clutter here minimal. The economy of the blog is a major selling point.

Posted by: ramblinwreck | February 22, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure we'll get used to it if you keep doing it, but still, I don't think it's needed. In addition to what was said about you not having an unmanageable number of posts, the headlines are pretty huge and more descriptive than Sullivan's, which makes the wrap-up less necessary- a scroll down will clue people in pretty fast to whether or not they want to read what you've written.

Also, from an aesthetic viewpoint, Sully's works better because it's one of his lackeys doing the wrap-up. Doing it yourself makes it look like you want to make sure no one misses the great work you've done today, which looks like horrible grandstanding. Those of us who read you regularly can be pretty confident you're not that type of person, but you might turn off new readers that way. It could be worth the risk if there was an appreciable upside, but again, I'm not sure there is.

Posted by: spiffymcbang | February 22, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

i like the way you did it up there. i always scroll down to where i last was and then read up chronologically, (just like i do with the daily dish- though i skip more of his because of the # of posts). so i won't need a wrap, but i'm sure it's helpful for others :)

Posted by: schaffermommy | February 23, 2010 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Yes, I like it. Thanks, it makes for a great summary of the day, and it will help if I'm looking for a specific post from a recent day.

Posted by: allanbrauer | February 23, 2010 1:33 AM | Report abuse

I don't like it when Andrew Sullivan does it, and I don't particularly like it when you do it either (but at least you don't refer to yourself with the royal "we").

I read mostly through my RSS feed and its pretty easy for me to look back at things I may have missed. Honestly, if you start doing this, it'll probably just mean I stop looking at your tab dump list.

Posted by: nylund | February 23, 2010 4:35 AM | Report abuse

Exactly ditto Patrick_M

Posted by: onewing1 | February 23, 2010 5:17 AM | Report abuse

Dear Ezra,

I liked the previous sparseness.

Google Reader has all your posts gathered in its own window as well as mixed in with others in the main window, so a recap is always one click away.

On the other hand, it's always fun to see how people navigate the balance of hyperlinking and prose.

Posted by: reggilbert | February 23, 2010 5:54 AM | Report abuse

You don't need it, but if you choose to do a wrap-up, at least separate it from the Tab Dump so I can skip the former if I choose. They are separate things. (I love the Tab Dump.)

In your summaries of your own posts, give me enough information so I can decide whether to click on a given link or not. Don't be coy; a few extra words can turn an irritating teaser into a useful description.

Of the six items in your initial wrap-up, I found only two to be perfectly clear as written: "assessed the White House's health care proposal" and "explained how the French government functions". For the others, here's what I would add:

"begged Evan Bayh to stay in the Senate [and lead the fight for institutional reform]",
"linked to my very first Newsweek column[, on polarization and the president's agenda]",
"looked at five conservative health-care reform proposals [solicited by the New York Times]",
and "defended Barack Obama's decision [to offer solutions big enough] to actually solve problems".

I like zosima's suggestion to change the layout, but for me it's more important that you let me know what to expect when I click. Breeziness is not helpful.

Posted by: dk10024 | February 23, 2010 6:18 AM | Report abuse

No, it is not particularly useful. As others have noted, it's redundant for RSS users.

Posted by: Athena_news | February 23, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

"Sorry, but I'm going to filibuster this, so unless you can get 3/5 of users behind you, everything will have stay the same."

Well, I'll vote for cloture on the motion . . . if I can get some special perks for my troubles. Just sayin'.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | February 23, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

I thought "Tab Dump" was the title of your blog.

Posted by: chase-truth | February 23, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

People can scroll.

Posted by: BriPet | February 23, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

I liked it much better. The summary is quite useful.

Posted by: mikedenly | February 23, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Hey Heads UP Ezra...here is the latest story that the conservative news agencies are going to force the Mainstream Media Elites to finally acknowledge:

You heard it here first!

A number of lawyers who work on terrorist issues at the Justice Department represented terrorist detainees before joining the Obama administration. At a hearing three months ago, Sen. Charles Grassley raised the possibility of a conflict with Attorney General Eric Holder.

Grassley, a senior Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, posed three simple questions: Who are they, who did they represent, and what are their duties at the Justice Department today?

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/Eric-Holder-stonewalls-Congress-on-terror-lawyers-85000577.html#ixzz0gN0Mb44q

Posted by: FastEddieO007 | February 23, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

This is terrible. Go back to the old way. If I miss the days posts, scrolling down is not too difficult. But if I do read throughout the day, then this is all stuff I've already seen. Plus I miss out on the other interesting stuff from throughout the web.

Posted by: cmcintyre3600 | February 23, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm an RSS subscriber. I also can't tell why the RSS feed seems to update so infrequently on this blog. It may be Bloglines, but it seems to get all my other blogs just fine - for your blog I only get posts updated every 6 hours or so, which means I'll get huge chunks of posts at a time.

Posted by: shanehuang | February 23, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I like the idea but not the format. I think a list would be easier to scan and wouldn't have that weird self-aware tone to it.

Posted by: KyleDeas | February 23, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm new to reading you blog, read it now on a daily basis, and don't think you need to change anything!

Posted by: JTRap | February 23, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I agree with above comments in favoring the list idea.

Also, it would be great if somewhere on your site there was a health care timeline. Something that says where we are in tracking the legislation and what/who we're waiting on.

Posted by: alessandra_barbadoro | February 23, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse