Dueling Republican op-eds

Orrin Hatch published an alarmist op-ed on the reconciliation process in this morning's Washington Post. It turns out that a budgetary procedure Hatch has frequently used poses a threat to the continued functioning of democracy itself. So, too, does deciding important political questions through majority vote -- even though that's how Scott Brown got elected. Hatch also trots out some nonsense about how the filibuster was the intention of the Founding Fathers, even though they didn't create the filibuster and they set up the Senate with a majority vote.

The whole thing is pretty paint-by-numbers, and I won't bore you by going through it line by line. For a sounder take on the reconciliation process, see our editorial from last week. And for a more straightforward op-ed from a prominent congressional Republican, I'd check out the piece that the Onion published from John Boehner.

It is my responsibility as an elected official to look out for the people back home, the voters who sent me to Washington. So, after 20 years representing Ohio's 8th District, I know what the good citizens of Montgomery, Preble, and Butler counties really want: someone who engages in the kind of calculated political gamesmanship that increases his standing in the Republican party while simultaneously hindering our country's legislative process at every conceivable turn.

I assure you, the last thing my voters need is some well intended, do-all-I-possibly-can-to-help-the-little-guy congressman running around Washington, working across the aisle, and fighting tooth and nail for jobs, health care, and financial reform to ensure their tax dollars never end up in the hands of banks capable of holding our entire economy hostage.

No, sir. My constituents deserve better.

Being the Onion, the byline on that article is fake, even if the thrust of what it says is true. Which is sort of the opposite of the Hatch article, come to think of it.

By Ezra Klein  |  March 2, 2010; 4:43 PM ET
Categories:  Budget
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The death of the mail?
Next: What the Obama administration could actually do about jobs

Comments

Preach Ezra, preach!

Posted by: mrmoogie | March 2, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

What does it say about the MSM, when the Onion and the Daily Show are more accurate in their depictions of what is going on in Washington than they are?

Posted by: srw3 | March 2, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Why do media organizations like the Washington Post, NYTimes, and others, permit politicians to print lies and garbage?

Each and every op-ed and article should be read, challenged, and corrected prior to publishing.

The lies of Orin Hatch are also the lies of the Washington Post in this case.

Posted by: Lomillialor | March 2, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

You're seriously referring to the Onion now, in making points?

Oh dear.

Ezra hun, take a little vacation. Get some air. This is getting embarrassing, even if you can't see it even still...

(and no. I don't think even a hearty meatloaf recipe can help you much now.)

Posted by: Mary42 | March 2, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

But Ezra, you forgot the final words in the Onion:

"But in the end, of course, I can't take full credit for the Republican Party's utterly undeserved yet all-too-depressingly-real resurgence. That would be unfair to my Democratic colleagues, who, in their unwillingness to act like grown adults with any kind of backbone and exercise the largest majority any party has seen in decades, have let us get away with all of it.

Thank you, you cowardly pieces of sh*t."

Posted by: ns3k | March 2, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

ns3k - I don't think Ezra, of any of the left-of-center commenters on this blog, will disagree in the slightest with that last line. I know I don't.

Posted by: nisleib | March 2, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

*You're seriously referring to the Onion now, in making points?*

Mary42, as you must know by now, The Onion is America's Finest News Source.

Posted by: constans | March 2, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

To juveniles everywhere.

Posted by: Mary42 | March 2, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

I would love to see what the Onion has to say about the representative from California's 8th Congressional District, representing the city and county of San Francisco, whose stubborn refusal to "go first" is the single biggest obstacle to the passage of HCR at this particular point in time. Bless her heart.

Posted by: bgmma50 | March 2, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

It appears that Mary42 is angry that Ezra and a bunch of other people won't get off her lawn.

Posted by: constans | March 2, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse