How it's playing in Peoria

My friend Ben Wikler has pulled images of the country's front pages to see how the health-care reform bill is playing around the nation. The word "historic" comes up a lot.

By Ezra Klein  |  March 22, 2010; 2:27 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: An example
Next: Will insurers raise rates before health-care reform?

Comments

His site and your link seem to have thrashed newseum

Posted by: NicholasBeaudrot | March 22, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I love how the health care bill comes second to the Bedford bingo bill in the Montgomery Advertiser.

Slightly off topic, but I thought David Frum's post on the health care bill as the GOP's Waterloo was interesting (http://www.frumforum.com/waterloo). I wonder whether moderate Republican legislators have a similar view, and if so, how that will affect the bipartisan process for the next major piece of legislation. I assume financial regulation is next up to bat.

Posted by: elwood_b | March 22, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Of course the press likes it, and that's all one can determine from headlines.

Posted by: tomtildrum | March 22, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

@eldwood_b: "I wonder whether moderate Republican legislators have a similar view, and if so, how that will affect the bipartisan process for the next major piece of legislation."

Moderate Republican legislators probably agree, but I don't think that it will effect the process for the next major piece of legislation, if that legislation involves cap and trade or immigration.

There are a couple of problems with Frum's piece, but the most obvious is that serious deal making with Obama on HCR would have torpedoed them with the base. To take a more conciliatory, "lets get some legislating done" attitude would have made Frum happy, but would have been asking all the Republicans to commit political suicide. Which they decided not to do, even if they agreed with the legislation.

Although I agree the over-heated, counter-factual rhetoric is problematic, the idea that cooperating with the Democrats could have, in any way, been better for Republicans politically is as counter-factual as any talk about "Marxist medicine" or "death panels for granny".

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | March 22, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Elwood, all the major Republican players are talking now about how the Dems have "poisoned the well" of cooperation for at least the rest of this year. Now, since it's an election year I'm not sure there's much of a change there, but it's a tough call.

Without 60 in the Senate, I don't think Dems really can pass anything of real substance anymore. If HCR is the Republican Waterloo, it's only because the Dems actually managed to pass it. Something like Financial Regulation wouldn't have the benefit of that ever-so-brief filibuster-proof majority the Dems had, so the Republicans can be pretty effective in stopping it.

What the Dems need to do right now is 1) Really push a strong FinReg bill that the Repubs will oppose and obstruct; and 2) See if there's any way to pass something substantive through Reconciliation again this year. If the Dems start showing a track record of passing legislation without any Republican support at all, it may lead to peeling off a few Republicans (see: Scott Brown) who aren't really helped by seeming too obstructionist in the face of successful legislation.

Posted by: MosBen | March 22, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I like the SF Examiner's take: HIGH-END CONDOS IN SHORT SUPPLY. T

Posted by: geoffcgraham | March 22, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

HIGH-END CONDOS IN SHORT SUPPLY!

That's Nancy Pelosi's hometown newspaper's take on the day's news.

LOL!!!

Posted by: dn131 | March 22, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Note the banner headline in the loathsome rag that Ezra works for. Not "House Passes Health Bill", but "Divided House Passes Health Bill". They can't even run a headline on a major Democratic victory without sneering at Democrats. Ezra, I have a great deal of admiration for you, but the company you keep really sucks.

Posted by: thehersch | March 22, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

What ticks me off about all of this is that the Republicans never had any intention on helping the people of this country fix our broken healthcare system. They just wanted to see Obama fail. I don't care what party you belong to, this is something everybody needs to worry about. Where would the Republicans take this country if in charge? I see them out to help their corporate pals at our expense. If they try and sabotage financial reform like they said they'd do, they're finished. The Democrats will have everything they need to paint them as BAD for the American people.

Posted by: HemiHead66 | March 23, 2010 1:27 AM | Report abuse