'I will take our troops out of the war zone and put them into space'

Introduction Video from Kesha for Congress on Vimeo.

Kesha Rogers is a Larouchie who just won the Democratic nomination in Texas's 22nd district. Her triumphant statement is pretty sweet:

The victory in the 22nd Congressional District yesterday by LaRouche Democrat Kesha Rogers sent an unmistakable message to the White House, and its British imperial controllers: Your days are numbered. Kesha's campaign hit relentlessly at a single theme, that President Obama must go, that his attacks on this nation – with his dismantling of the manned space program, his efforts to ram through a fascist, killer “health care” policy, his endless bailouts for Wall Street swindlers, while demanding budget cuts which will increase the death rates among the poor, the sick, the elderly and the unemployed – are not acceptable, and will not be tolerated.

Skeptics said that LaRouche's approach is impractical, it won't work, that Democrats will never support someone who is calling for the President's impeachment. Obviously, the voters of the 22nd district disagreed with those skeptics, as Kesha received 53% of the vote against two opponents. As Kesha told the Galveston Daily News last night, when a reporter asked if she expected support from the Democratic Party in the fall election, “I am leading a war against the British Empire. I'm not worried about what Democratic Party hacks say or do.”

The release goes on to mock her opponent for saying that “I can't believe that most people who voted for her knew that she wants to" impeach Obama. "He is wrong," says Rogers's spokesperson. But neither Rogers's "about" page or her "platform" page mentions impeachment. The campaign video atop this post, however, does include my favorite political slogan of the 2010 election so far: "I will take our troops out of the war zone and put them into space!"

If that doesn't demand to be made into an Internet meme, I don't know what does.

By Ezra Klein  |  March 4, 2010; 1:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chat transcript
Next: The true cost of the health-care bill, cont'd: An interview with Rep. Paul Ryan

Comments

You do know that's Tom DeLay's old district?

Posted by: tl_houston | March 4, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I know it's just crazy conspiracy theory stuff, but what in God's name is she talking about with this "British imperial controllers" business?

Posted by: randrewm | March 4, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

...I guess they're going into space because that's where the time machine to take them back to when the British Empire still existed is located?

Though I actually think the other quote is better: "I'm leading a war against the British Empire" is the perfect all-perfect excuse. "I can't get that memo to you today, boss -- I'm leading a war against the British Empire!" "Tonight you'll have to take the garbage out, honey -- I'm leading a war against the British Empire!"

Posted by: Mike_Russo | March 4, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I dont know Texas' congressional districts(though with a bit of research I can surely find out) hopefully TX-22 is a republican district so this moonbat won't actually be involved in running the country.

Posted by: zeppelin003 | March 4, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Is there a word for only noticing in the instant you hit the "submit" button that you just made a really stupid spelling or grammar mistake, like e.g. writing "perfect all-perfect" for "perfect all-purpose"? Because that would be a useful word.

Posted by: Mike_Russo | March 4, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

"You do know that's Tom DeLay's old district?"

Home of NASA, which possibly explains why she wants to put the troops in space.

Posted by: bgmma50 | March 4, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

While I can support putting our troops into space (anything that revives the space program is good), I can't support her opposition to our British Imperial controllers. If we rebel against them now, they'll overwhelm us with dry comedy and perfectly steeped tea, and we'll be at their mercy.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | March 4, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

right in front of the local organic food market, where almost all of the shoppers are green and very progressive, what appears, but the la rouche information outpost, with a giant poster of president obama, with a hitler moustache.
the people who manned this little outpost were mocking and rude and said unkind things about obama. they delighted in raising the hackles of people like myself.
of course, many people complained to the store manager about the terrible poster, but there was nothing he could do.
they use all kinds techniques in their little outposts...garnering discontented people who dont know how zany they really are.
thank goodness, they have gone away with their maddening poster. everyone enjoys the happy karma at the organic market, and then they came along, and even the watercress leaves started drooping.
sorry to have read about this victory.
truth is certainly stranger than fiction.

Posted by: jkaren | March 4, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

She may be a nutter, but she's my kind of nutter.

Posted by: tomveiltomveil | March 4, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Yep, that's where NASA is. And that's why she's so focused on space. And that's why folks voted for her -- because they're pissed at Obama for cutting NASA's programs.

And yep, she is going to get smushed in the general.

If she doesn't, maybe we can send her into space.

Posted by: charlesjbrown | March 4, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

What a disappointment! I was hoping for soldiers in astronaut helmets.

Posted by: DeliveredReilly | March 4, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

It's a time honored tradition in Texas to vote in the other party's primary in order to mess with them. I myself voted yesterday for Farouk "a day without Mexicans is a day without sunshine" Shami as the Democratic nominee for governor. My man Farouk, alas, got his butt kicked by Bill White, who is a serious Democratic contender for the office. I suspect that Kesha Roberts got a lot of Republican votes.

Posted by: bgmma50 | March 4, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

All we are saaaaying...is give space a chance!

Posted by: slag | March 4, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I concur. As Will Smith proved in Independence Day, the purest dream of our soldiers is to go to space. I mean, at least it's more inviting than Afghanistan.

Posted by: etdean1 | March 4, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that's a fairly safe R district. The only reason it was a D before for a term was because Delay was such an embaresment. She has as much of a chance of winning that race as I do.

LaRouchites...ugh.

Posted by: EricS2 | March 4, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Why can't the Democratic party keep loonies like this from their ticket?

I recall from ConLaw way back when that there's been a court case or two that prevents political parties from running themselves like private clubs. But this is ridiculous.

Posted by: Jasper999 | March 4, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I so hope she wins the general election. If I were in her district, I'd vote for her. If for nothing but the sound bites that you know would be forthcoming, and magically delicious.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | March 4, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

And I love the space stuff. She had me at "habitation of moon and Mars".

Could my just-conceived extra hot dream ticket for 2012--Sarah Palin/Kesha Rogers--finally bridge the partisan divide? Whacky Republican and Larouche Democrat running together to save the world? I get all tingly just thinking about it.

A fellow can dream, can't he?

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | March 4, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Ezra, my British imperial controllers wish me to inform you that the issues she brings to the table are serious matters and should not be taken in a light or humourous manner as you have with this post. Unless you mend your ways, we will look to impeach you (after we get done with Obama)...

Posted by: amaranthpa | March 4, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

jkaren gets the line of the day IMO -

"everyone enjoys the happy karma at the organic market, and then they came along, and even the watercress leaves started drooping."

Posted by: amaranthpa | March 4, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

If she wins will she be any different than Jim "Beam me up Scotty" Traffacant.

Posted by: MerrillFrank | March 4, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Huh? What's going on? I'm fairly sure I haven't taken any hallucinatory drugs. Into space? ...the army? ...impeach Obama?

Posted by: Nick_Somebody | March 4, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Compromise: We send just the LaRouchies to the moon.

Posted by: jeffwacker | March 4, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

"I so hope she wins the general election. If I were in her district, I'd vote for her."

Me too. Kesha Rogers rocks.

Posted by: bgmma50 | March 4, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

"If we rebel against them now, they'll overwhelm us with dry comedy and perfectly steeped tea, and we'll be at their mercy."

Brilliantly said.

Posted by: NelsonMuntz | March 4, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

According to Wikipedia, this is the District (Texas's 22nd ) that first elected Ron Paul. I would not count her out due solely to her "unique" views. But Rep. Paul was an ob/gyn that had delivered half the babies born in the district and his partner delivered the other half so he had a good solid base of support from his former patients. I don't think she has near that kind of support. But still.....

Posted by: arkenhill | March 5, 2010 12:56 AM | Report abuse