Lunch break

I like the new She & Him song, and I like the new video. In particular, I'm glad Zooey Deschanel is keeping the retro vocals even though the new album isn't composed of covers.

By Ezra Klein  |  March 19, 2010; 12:54 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: My favorite books -- or not
Next: The student loan reform

Comments

Great duo. I was a huge fan of Mr. Ward's before he linked up with Zooey. I bought their album thinking it would have plenty of his vocals to complement hers but after one listen it was clear that was not the case. I was slightly miffed. After a few days I realized I had all of the songs in my head and after a few more spins I was hooked. Saw them live after that and they did well. Looking for ward to round 2.

Posted by: patrickbyers | March 19, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I fail to see the attraction. Bubble gum pop. I've liked most of the music you've recommended (LOVED Imogen Heap), but this reeks.

Posted by: ctnickel | March 19, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, the taste you Millenials have in music. Plus, this seems awfully derivative of Feist, which is already hard enough to take. But, you know, whatever--hard to hold the zeitgeist against the volk its the geist of.

Posted by: CatfishHunter | March 19, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I have been following your posts on the health care debate because I appreciate your insight and writing ability. Then I listen to this music you recommend and I think: I am 51 and this guy must be, what, 25 or so? What am I doing paying attention to him?

Posted by: jhsteele1958 | March 19, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

You can't honestly like this song. I know Zooey is adorable and all, but a dozen twenty-somethings choreograph dancing in a high school can't be something you admire.

Posted by: Paxxz | March 19, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Ever since Zooey Deschanel broke Joseph Gordon-Levitt's heart in (500) Days of Summer, I can't bear to watch her and her crooked teeth.

AND! Although I like that over-head projector scene, I agree w/ Paxxz: late twentysomethings shouldn't be pretending to be dancing high school students. Zooey's 29!

Posted by: pbasso_khan | March 19, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Ezra. It was fun -- nothing earth-shaking, but fun. (FYI, am among your older readers; had not seen this video, heard this song, or heard of this singer.)

Re the work being derivative, see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABYnqp-bxvg&feature=related

Posted by: MikeCervantes | March 21, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse