Reconciliation

Today I wrote a short primer on the budget reconciliation process; a short post wondering whether we really want the Senate run by loopholes; a slightly longer post on the tension between individual bloggers and the media organizations that pay them; and an extremely long post on Rep. Paul Ryan's claim that health-care reform won't save money or reduce the deficit.

Here's what I didn't get to:

1) Barack Obama's congressional majorities are a lot smaller than FDR's or LBJ's.

2) Why don't Democrats keep the Consumer Financial Protection Agency as an election issue rather than compromising it away?

3) Bruce Bartlett offers a short history of congressional polarization.

4) Kent Conrad is annoyed that the media can't figure out the reconciliation process.

5) I'll be on Countdown with Keith Olbermann at 8:10 eastern, and the Tavis Smiley Show (check local listings, I'm the first guest).

Recipe of the day: Roast chicken with fennel.

By Ezra Klein  |  March 1, 2010; 6:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Newt Gingrich and standards of evidence
Next: Can preserving the Second Amendments Strengthen Roe v. Wade?

Comments

If you want to see where Obama’s going, you have to watch this Brand New, Viral

OBAMACARE - YEAR IN REVIEW video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rv7aW3NF7w

This Hilarious and Shocking Video provides a Fast-Paced Look at the No-Lie-Too-Big, Socialist Ideologues Who Now Run Our Country.

MUST WATCH!

Posted by: CommieBlaster | March 1, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

With a handle like CommieBlaster, I'll listen to anything you say!

Posted by: MosBen | March 1, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Just picking up on Kevin Drum's piece (I really need to read him more often)- saving CFPA for the campaign would be a way to make deregulation vs. consumer protection a wedge in the campaign. In addition to the CFPA being a good issue, I would think that forcing the Republicans to say they favor some regulations would cause some tea to be spilt amongst the base.

Also- good to see Senator Conrad clear that up. He seems like a good guy. I just thought he could have been a little clearer before.

Posted by: phillycomment | March 1, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Nice job on Countdown!

Posted by: AuthorEditor | March 1, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

would it kill you to go on CNN once in a while to try to prove you're not so partisan?

Posted by: visionbrkr | March 1, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

visionbrkr,

You may not have heard that NBC has a partnership agreement in place with WaPo and Newsweek.

So that is why faces like Eugene Robinson, Howard Fineman, Mark Isikoff, Ezra, and others regularly appear and provide commentary on the pundit shows on MSNBC, and that is also why you won't see them on rival 24 hour news networks like CNN.

Posted by: Patrick_M | March 1, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Klein, you seem to be forgetting the Democratic party included far more conservatives in Congress when FDR and Johnson were president. Roosevelt won a great landslide victory in 1936 with huge Democratic majorities. Yet his overreach on trying to "pack" the high court and growing southern conservative opposition to additional New Deal legislation led to hardly any progressive legislation being passed during the rest of his presidency.

Posted by: Aprogressiveindependent | March 1, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Patrick,

No i wasn't aware of that. thanks for clarifying that for me.

I also didn't catch his conversation on there this evening but something tells me that he didn't point out the correct budget gimmicks as represented by his blog post on Rep. Ryan earlier today. For some reason I don't think that'd play well on either Keith or Rachel's show.

Posted by: visionbrkr | March 1, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

oh and you should have linked to this story too Ezra.

Posted by: visionbrkr | March 1, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Ezra, you were also a screen shot on Rachel Maddow tonight.

Posted by: LindaB1 | March 1, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

I always enjoy you on Countdown. Articulate and insightful.

Posted by: GreenDreams | March 2, 2010 1:29 AM | Report abuse

How was the Tavis Smiley spot (I didn't see it)? I've enjoyed his interview style for a long time (radio and TV)

Posted by: bdballard | March 2, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse