Reconciliation

Today I outlined Nancy Pelosi's 'Deem and Pass' strategy for health-care reform, wished the Democrats would stop mucking about with clever procedural tricks, and looked at the consequences of failure.

Here's what I didn't get to:

1) Think Progress compares the Consumer Financial Protection Agency in the different financial regulation bills.

2) Chris Beam profiles Andrew Breitbart.

3) Chris Hayes thinks the age of unchecked elites is coming to an end.

4) I'll be Countdown tonight.

By Ezra Klein  |  March 15, 2010; 7:24 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What's the use of politician op-eds?
Next: You don't win elections by failing to govern

Comments

The "consequences of sucess" will be the Dems losing BOTH Houses of Congress.

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 15, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Chris Hayes is one more blatherskite in Klein's blatherskite Rolodex.

Hayes, page 1: Gallup polled the geniuses and they don't trust elites anymore.

Hayes, page 2: Pew polled the morons and they don't believe in climate change anymore.

And what's with the é in Hayes' "élite"? Is that how the poncy boys spell it, now?

Posted by: msoja | March 15, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Chris Hayes is one more blatherskite in Klein's blatherskite Rolodex.

Hayes, page 1: Gallup polled the geniuses and they don't trust elites anymore.

Posted by: msoja | March 15, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

did i really just hear the president speaking today (now on countdown) state that "Natoma" spend $4000 on her copays and i guess $6000 on her premium and yet she only met $900 of her deductible so her insurance didn't pay anything?????

I don't mean to sound disrespectful to the President of the United States but does he have an "Effing" clue?

Does he not realize that when you pay a copay of say $30 for a doctor visit that the insurance company pays an amount much greater than that.

Someone needs to request an audit of her records to see exactly WHAT her insurer paid?

EZRA,

why did you not mention this horrible error the President made after this blunder? Oh forget it, I know why.

I don't profess to know Ohio law in regards to insurance but I can't believe that they'd allow insurers to specifically target high claimants directly and raise their rates on them alone. Sorry, I can't see that happening.

The misinformation is mindboggling and its coming straight from the top.

Maybe President Obama should be targeting docs and pharma (good piece tonight by Anderson Cooper on CNN about the biologics deal that in 10 years will make Medicare Part D look like a deficit cutting bill).

Why no stories Ezra on the biologic deal with Eshoo??? Sure Pharma will pay $150 million in pro-reform ads when they'll get a couple hundred billion in biologics.

Once again horrible negotiation in the part of this administration.

Posted by: visionbrkr | March 15, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Add the media and newspapers to the list of failed elitist organizations or institutions Chris Hayes referred to.

The media (including the WP) is a tool of politicians now. For example, we saw how the Bush admin planted false WMD evidence in the national media, and how the pentagon planted biased retired generals on the major news shows. I also lost track of former gvmt officials (or relatives of such) who have become news show hosts. There are numerous other examples how the media has failed us in recent decades.

Posted by: Lomillialor | March 15, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Lomillalor,

oh please stop it. Those same generals are still all over the Today show and other MSM news shows.

Its called being paid to know something about what you're talking about. Not everything's a conspiracy to get you. They fill a vacuum for info just as Ezra does on Countdown or is that a big liberal propaganda?

Posted by: visionbrkr | March 15, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Ezra, I'd really like to see more about this "Deem & pass" plan. Has it been used before? For what kind of bills?

Posted by: MosBen | March 15, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

while I'm at it Ezra why haven't you ever spoken to Toby Cosgrove?

Maybe you have and I missed it. Trust me I think we'd all get much more out of it than another conversation with Lamar "we don't do big well" Alexander.

Posted by: visionbrkr | March 15, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

vision

Re' my comment on generals and your half-witted response, it's called conflict of interest or even propaganda, you moron....

It was all part of an elaborate lie the Bush admin sold idiots like you. Anyone with an IQ of 50 or better knows the Iraq War has been a fiasco, and has cost us 1000s of US lives, 10,000s innocent Iraqi lives, a strengthened Iran and an emboldened Iranian nuclear program, high energy prices that have contributed to the recession, trillions in long-term national debt issues, increased terrorism, a broken and overstretched US military, and a polarized nation.

Posted by: Lomillialor | March 16, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

"Reconciliation" in the Senate.

"Deem and pass" in the House.

Democracy at work?

I think not!

Posted by: mwhoke | March 16, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Lomillalor,

I'll avoid the name calling and not stoop to your level. Its a good part of the reason that I expect no one takes you seriously.

You do realize though that I was against the war in Iraq right? I was against the troop buildup. I would have preferred the targeted strategy 9 years ago that Obama's doing now.

You do realize that PRIOR to George W Bush former generals and all have been on those shows, right? That's why its always "FORMER" generals. I don't watch all of them (sorry gotta work) but I don't see McCrystal on there now but once he retires I'm sure we'll see him for his "experience".

I'm guessing we shouldn't let FORMER politicians like say maybe Howard Dean go on these shows either huh to talk up whatever they want to. Its still a free country I think isn't it?

And you're really helping with the polarization with calling people idiots.

Posted by: visionbrkr | March 16, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

It is silly to complain that deem and pass is somehow not part of our legal, democratic institution. Rules are rules and laws are laws, and deem and pass is entirely legal, lawful, and it has been used before.

However, Obama said we are entitled to an up and down vote, and now we ain't gonna see it because ostensibly the Dems can't win an up or down vote.

Deem and pass is not satisfactory in my view. It will put a permanent stain on HCR and will provide energy to its enemies to constantly attack and sabotage it at every opportunity. If HCR is enacted via deem and pass, it will not stand the test of time and will fall by the wayside very soon.

This is ridiculous.

Do the up or down vote and let us see which Democrats are imposters and need to be swept away in the next election.

Posted by: Lomillialor | March 16, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

vision

Just read the link, and maybe use google to find out how wrong you were to disagree with my comment on how the generals were used to spread justification lies about the Iraq War.

I don't care if you were against the war. That's irrelevant to this conversation. You foolishly challenged my comment without realizing there is extensive coverage since the war about how these generals were intentionally paraded across national TV to help the Bush admin lie to the people.

Read the link, and if that doesn't sate your hurtful pride, then google for other similar articles on the topic from any source you want and you will see I was right all along.

And if you don't take me seriously, that's fine. Just stop challenging me, especially when everything I say I can easily prove.

Posted by: Lomillialor | March 16, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Lomillalor,

the point is you said:

"It was all part of an elaborate lie the Bush admin sold idiots like you. Anyone with an IQ of 50 or better knows the Iraq War has been a fiasco, and has cost us 1000s of US lives, 10,000s innocent Iraqi lives"

They may have TRIED to sell this to me and the American people but they failed (at least on me). That was my point. I was never sold from the outset and you have no right to come on here and call people who you perceive (wrongly I might add) an idiot and infer an IQ of below 50. It only makes people take you less seriously. But if you want to continue acting childish who am I to stop you. All I can do is call you on it when I see it.

Maybe that one partisan article is correct (and its an OPINION of the writer, maybe he's not. But because of how you usually act on here I never bothered to even look at it until now. That was my point.

Posted by: visionbrkr | March 16, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

So Ezra, I have a question. Now that we are in this never-never land of deem-and-pass, what happens under this scenario.... what if the House passes it's reconciliation bill, which also "deems" the Senate bill passed, and has the fixes. Then it's thrown back to the Senate. But then what if the Senate fails to pass this, say only gets 48 votes for it or something. Then what? Is the Senate bill still "deemed" passed as is? Can the President sign it without the fixes?

Posted by: tmcbride1 | March 16, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

vision

You are switching points on me. This is what you initially said to me: "Those same generals are still all over the Today show and other MSM news shows.... Its called being paid to know something about what you're talking about. Not everything's a conspiracy to get you."

Switching topics in mid-discussion is a sign of intellectual dishonesty.

My initial point was that the generals were helping Bush lie about the war justification. You objected. I corrected. Get over it.

Posted by: Lomillialor | March 16, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Lomillalor,

ACTUALLY you didn't bother to post the link in your original post so since I'm NOT a mind-reader I didn't have any form of reference to what you were speaking of.

THEN, I took offense to you calling me an idiot and having an IQ of 50 which by my experience seems to be your modus operendi around here.

Now you MAY be right in what you say and the author of the article MAY be right in what he says but again, ITS OPINION. (unless of course you can read minds which I'd love for you to teach me that trick).

I'll accept your apology anytime now for calling me intellectually dishonest but I won't hold my breath.

Posted by: visionbrkr | March 16, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

zzzzzzzzzz

ah well. must be off to your next conspiracy to blame your lot in life on. As i said i didn't expect anything. seems you're NEVER wrong.

Posted by: visionbrkr | March 16, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse