Senate passes reconciliation fixes 56-43

Of the Democrats, Blanche Lincoln, Ben Nelson, and Mark Pryor voted against the package. Now, because it's slightly changed from the version the House considered, it will held back there for final passage. The House vote is expected to be fairly smooth, as they passed a virtually identical bill on Sunday.

This thing's almost done, folks.

By Ezra Klein  |  March 25, 2010; 1:54 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Will health-care reform change the politics of financial regulation?
Next: 11 predictions for the health-care reform bill

Comments

"This thing's almost done, folks."

yippie- i- ay
yippie- i -oh!

Posted by: jkaren | March 25, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Blanche Lincoln, Ben Nelson, and Mark Pryor voted against the fix? Against improvements to the Law? Help me find the missing puzzle pieces.

Posted by: onewing1 | March 25, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Who was absent from the vote? 56 + 43 = 99

Posted by: Patrick_M | March 25, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

The answer to my own question, in casre anyone else wondered too:

Senator Johnny Isakson, Republican of Georgia, was ill and did not vote.

Posted by: Patrick_M | March 25, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure what the deal with the Arkansas Dems is.

Posted by: DDAWD | March 25, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmoisica | March 25, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

"Well, the special deal to get Nelson's vote was stripped, so it makes sense he'd vote against it. Even if it's just political, he couldn't vote against the interests of his state."

Nelson had already said that he would support removing the Nebraska "kickback." I think these three just wanted a "no" vote of some kind that they could use for their own red state political survival needs, although I think it is silly to expect that supporting the original bill but not the fixes will help them.

"Quick question: will the student loan reform remain intact? I know they had do change some language regarding Pell Grants..."

The fix to the language was hyper-technical, solely for the purposes of the reconciliation criteria. The student loan reforms are 100% intact, so that aspect becomes a second reason to celebrate passage.

Posted by: Patrick_M | March 25, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mikeshort1 | March 25, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

"Do you find it as odd as I do that there was not one Republican who thought the CHANGES were a good idea, given that the bill is already law?"

After all the whining about the Cornhusker Kickback, Gatorade, etc., the Republicans (of course) voted to leave them in place.

Gotta love those rascally Republicans.

Posted by: Patrick_M | March 25, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Wish I could say 'yes'. But, given R's unfailing lock-step voting throughout this process, the answer is 'no'.

My question is: will this strategy end with final final final passage of HCR?

Posted by: onewing1 | March 25, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

When can we expect a vote on this?

Posted by: dowbill | March 25, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

"When can we expect a vote on this?"

Last I knew the plan was that the House was approve the final form of the bill tonight, so it should be all over and ready fr final signature by the President within hours.

Posted by: Patrick_M | March 25, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse