The end of Rahmadan

"This is the most unBroderian column I have ever -- ever -- read,"marvels Joe Klein. I agree. And props to David Broder and the op-ed page for publishing it. This type of internal disagreement and willingness to pull back the curtain on how news stories get seeded, sourced and written is good for readers and makes for an interesting newspaper.

By Ezra Klein  |  March 4, 2010; 10:04 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tom Toles is worth a thousand words
Next: Cutting more deals

Comments

I bet Dana Milbank isn't that impressed with Broder's story. He may not be throwing under the bus, but he certainly seems to be nudging her towards the tires.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | March 4, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Wow, this article is so unlike Broder that I wondered if I was reading the Onion. Villagers don't normally reprimand each other in public like this. Fun stuff.

Posted by: marvyT | March 4, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Kevin_Willis,

Posted by: Patrick_M | March 4, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I'm quite pleased to see Broder take a step back and remember for a second that readers don't also live in the world where DC gossip is confused for news. But, in the end, all this really does for me is help me rank Broder slightly above Milbank, but that's a bit like saying getting the clap is better than having crabs.

Posted by: nylund | March 4, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

addendum to my previous comment:

Posted by: Patrick_M | March 4, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Broder's comment about George HY.W. Bush and John Sununu is pretty telling. Just who is it that is supposed to resign here? It sounds like more of the Congressional leadership trying to shift the blame for their own lack of leadership and difficulties in getting things done onto the Pres.

But I am puzzled about why there have been so many articles about Rahm in the last few days. Why Millbank's second?

And I agree with Ezra that Obama is right to be trying to listen to the policy people and trying to solve problems, not be another "small-bore" type like Bill Clinton, doing only what he thinks is politically possible.

Posted by: Mimikatz | March 4, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

The obvious question is, "who's feeding Broder?"

Posted by: tomtildrum | March 4, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

@Patrick_M: "Your comment contains some gender confusion. David Broder and Dana Milbank are both males."

Whoops. Not the first time I've done that with the name "Dana". You'd think I'd know better by now.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | March 4, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

You're thinking of Ms. Dana Priest, who used to be the national-security reporter.

Posted by: tomtildrum | March 4, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

@tomtildrum: I wish that were the case. I was distantly aware that Dana Milbank is a fellow (and a fine one), but having grown up with several female Danas in my life (and no male ones), Dana is as much a female-gender-specific name as Susan or Jessica (to my limited perception).

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | March 4, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

The talk about the name "Dana" or the gender of Dana Milbank is boring and soporific. Here we have a situation in which the only interesting question is, who is doing this and why. The most plausible theory I have heard is that its purpose is to raise the profile of Emanuel, give it a slightly more conservative tinge in preparation for his soon to be announced run for the senate. The White house will ask the current dem. contender to stand down. And these leaks about Emanuel are being done with the full consent and cooperation of Obama. They actually help BOTH of them: Rahm seems the more "centrist" as he must be for his senate run in Illinois, and Obama seems the ideological purist. People have said how unusual it would be for a chief of staff to leak against the president -- well, it's not happening here, not really. Rahm will, weirdly, run for the senate as one somewhat opposed to a number of the policies he blackmailed his fellow democrats into voting for! There's a department of justice in this administration -- but there is no actual justice.

Posted by: truck1 | March 4, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse