KFC needs to lay off the weak sauce

KFC-Double-Down.jpg

The Boston Globe's editorial page gets punchy:

If the American public is serious about rejecting all sensible dietary guidelines, KFC completely fails to deliver. The Double Down poses as the atomic bomb of artery-clogging, but it’s really just a grenade. Many people would have to wait years for a heart attack, even if they ate one every day.

Americans have long mastered double-, triple-, and quadruple-decker sandwiches. And yet this ostensibly innovative new sandwich features just one story — a design that is outdated and ill-suited to sate the average American gullet. And it contains merely two types of meat. Would it have killed KFC to add ground beef? Some pork? And, to wash the whole thing down a bit, a bucket of nacho cheese for dipping? If there’s one thing Americans are qualified to do, it’s judge fast-food sandwiches, and they are likely to punish KFC for not going nearly far enough. The Double Down is just a 540-calorie disappointment.

Photo credit: So Good Blog.

By Ezra Klein  |  April 27, 2010; 10:15 AM ET
Categories:  Food
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The 'might-speak-Spanish' exception
Next: Fix the ratings agencies!

Comments

could you imagine eating this, and washing it down with one of those buckets of diet soda, at nine o'clock at night.

i cant imagine trying to go to sleep as my body was attempting to digest those fried, dead, industrially farmed, karmically~laced chickens~in~batter, and sizzledfried bacon strips, make-believe-cheese and then a chemical solution to wash it down.
a persons' body must send out vibes saying,
body to person-self: " we have tried so hard to keep you alive....your heart keeps beating for you, your colon tries to keep cleaning itself.....is this how you reward us for all our sacred and mysterious work???what do we do with all of this stuff at nine at night? ugh!!"

Posted by: jkaren | April 27, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm with Karen - it looks grotesque. I'll pass, even if it is *only* 540 calories. Though I admit, I've eaten worse for lunch.

Read the comments, though. They are pretty revealing. If you could order one with your fully automatic weapon slung around your neck, that would be even better.

Posted by: luko | April 27, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I can't help it, I'm curious about this sandwich. I'm currently studying abroad in Denmark so am unable to try it, but even though I generally abstain from fast food, this thing has me entranced. Yes, it sounds disgusting, but intriguingly so. I think it's the fact that it's a sandwich without bread. While it probably tastes horrible, I applaud KFC for pushing the fast food envelope.

Posted by: Owen_Truesdell | April 27, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I've said before, its needs a fried egg.

Posted by: endaround | April 27, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I also try to avoid fast food, but I'm sure this thing tastes really good. And why shouldn't it? It's oozing fat and salt, and most of us have been conditioned to desire fatty, salty food that can be delivered and devoured in a minimum amount of time. Healthy eating is something I struggle with, and call me a cynic, but I think that, like cigarettes, it's going to take a couple generations of brow beating to shift the way we think about unhealthy food. Even then we'll end up with a sizable minority who continue to exhibit bad choices relative to this stuff.

Posted by: MosBen | April 27, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

That being said, this is basically a two tiered sandwich, just without the bread.

Posted by: DDAWD | April 27, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Matt Yglesias found this sandwich comically perplexing. Read about that bit of stupidity, and more, at www.ydiot.net.

The Ydiot

Posted by: Ydiot | April 27, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I had one. It's not bad, but it's a novelty.

And frankly, its relative unhealthiness is a bit overblown. Have a look at the nutrition information at McD's or BK or Wendy's or Hardee's or wherever else and you'll find out how much more unhealthy their fare is. Most of the menu at those places comes out higher in fat and calories than the Double Down.

People see two pieces of fried chicken and freak out to the bejeezus belt, but the real takeaway from all of this should not be how unhealthy the Double Down is or isn't, it should that most fast food places are serving such unhealthy food that the Double Down is frankly rather ordinary.

Posted by: cockybovine | April 27, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

what's disturbing is that this is on the "healthy side" of the equation.

imagine how disgusting the fatty side looks?

I think we need to get back the commerical that shows how fat inside someone's body looks like. We've got to give these places the "smokers advertisement" treatment.

Posted by: visionbrkr | April 27, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Mike Rickamamma and Mike Richardheimer dragged me to the local KFC to satisfy their insatiable cravings for this sandwich. After our meal, I immediately scrapped the monsterous bird poop from the trunk of Rickamamma's caddy and used it to get the taste out of my mouth. John "What Wires" Kolettuce,Brian Novacane, and Mike Och Tree all skipped the meal.

Posted by: tkolleta | April 27, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I can actually envision an enterprising restauranteur creating a better version of this on a plate. Some field greens or roasted veggies on the side with risotto might work.

Posted by: MerrillFrank | April 27, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse