Oil spill an inside job?

rushtwo.JPG

If Rush Limbaugh was on the far left, he'd be a 9/11 truther. As it is, he's on the far right, and has decided to become an oil-spill truther:

I want to get back to the timing of the blowing up, the explosion out there in the Gulf of Mexico of this oil rig. ... Now, lest we forget, ladies and gentlemen, the carbon tax bill, cap and trade, that was scheduled to be announced on Earth Day. I remember that. And then it was postponed for a couple of days later after Earth Day, and then of course immigration has now moved in front of it. But this bill, the cap-and-trade bill, was strongly criticized by hardcore environmentalist wackos because it supposedly allowed more offshore drilling and nuclear plants, nuclear plant investment. So, since they're sending SWAT teams down there, folks, since they're sending SWAT teams to inspect the other rigs, what better way to head off more oil drilling, nuclear plants, than by blowing up a rig? I'm just noting the timing here.

Photo credit: By Ron Edmonds/Associated Press

By Ezra Klein  |  April 30, 2010; 3:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sen. Carl Levin: 'We ought to eliminate the damn synthetics'
Next: Not your father's financial system

Comments

God he's fat.

I wonder how long it would take for the oil slick conspiracy theories to start circulating.

Posted by: dollarwatcher | April 30, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

No, there isn't. That's because the power of politicians depends on the willingness of people to vote for them. For Republicans, their voters form opinions of elected officials not based on dialogue between elected officials but primarily through media sources, prominently including talk radio and Fox. As a result, the real power among conservatives right now lies with the media figures, not with the elected officials.

For prominent Republicans to take on conservative media, they'd really have to present a unified front and all say the same thing, because any individual who does so risks getting branded as not a true conservative. Alas, so long as there are Bachmanns and Inhofes running around Congress, you're not going to get any such message discipline.

Posted by: jeffwacker | April 30, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

wondered

Posted by: dollarwatcher | April 30, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

about the only thing that might come close would be if he called ronald reagan a gay communist. but anything other than that, probably not...

Posted by: freaktown | April 30, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

the ONLY thing that'll stop Limbaugh is a sharp decrease in ratings.

This argument of his is lunacy. Why would President Obama recently request more off-shore drilling (a giveaway to Republicans) and then sabotage them by telling the National Guard or whoever to blow them up? If that was even remotely true he doesn't think some loyal listener would squeal?

Agreed, Limbaugh is a loon but you never needed to convince me or anyone else here of that.

He'd have made a better argument to say the response was weak from the outset. The response from Gov. Jindal and the President was almost Katrina like and Bush rightfully got blasted for that. Will that happen here?

Posted by: visionbrkr | April 30, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Yes, they will gladly disavow him. But within five minutes of doing so they will crawl back to him and beg for forgiveness.

A couple of weeks ago David Frum said, "Republicans originally thought that Fox worked for us and now we're discovering we work for Fox. And this balance here has been completely reversed. The thing that sustains a strong Fox network is the thing that undermines a strong Republican party."

These days the GOP is a message machine. They don't care about policy at all. Small Government? Fiscall Conservative? Government out of the bedroom? Yeah, right.

A former Bushy named John Dilulio said, "What you've got is everything--and I mean everything--being run by the political arm. It's the reign of the Mayberry Machiavellis." DiIulio elaborated on "Mayberry Machiavellis" in a subsequent letter to Esquire, stating that in his experience Bush administration staffers almost always substituted political calculation in place of policy discussion.

So no, the GOP can't disavow Limbaugh and Fox - The GOP IS Limbaugh and Fox.

Posted by: nisleib | April 30, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

thank you Ezra.

with this post I've finally figured out who Toles' obese cartoons are of. Wow that Tom Toles is clever!

Posted by: visionbrkr | April 30, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

@visionbrkr: "The response from Gov. Jindal and the President was almost Katrina like"

How do you figure? I see that's the new argument that the right is floating, but I fail to see the connection between nationally-televised misery being ignored in 2005 and the government not getting involved in 2010 until it became known that the spill was much bigger than initially advertised.

In other words, it sounds a lot like conservatives are making sh*t up once again.

Posted by: BigTunaTim | April 30, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

"Rush want pills! Rush want pills! Rush want pills!!!!!!!!!!!"

Rough excerpt from a recent Limbaugh radio transcript.

Posted by: JPRS | April 30, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

BigTunaTim,

actually heard it on CNN as an "argument" and as you note I say that he'd have a better argument not necessarily a good argument. If you're going to misrepresent what I said please do a better job at it.

I'll also remind you that Jindal is a Republican and a conservative and those that make this point don't absolve him from blame.

Now I guess if you want you can consider CNN as a "right wing hack machine" but with the likes of Rick Sanchez, John Roberts, Anderson Cooper and Dr Sanjay Gupta as regular contributors you'll find some difficulty proving that point IMO.

Posted by: visionbrkr | April 30, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Vision - I consider Fox biased towards conservatives (well, conservatives who don't care a whit about actuall policy) MSNBC biased towards lefties (at least at night) and CNN biased towards stupid people.

But that is just my opinion.

Posted by: nisleib | April 30, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

""Is there literally nothing this man can say that will convince Republicans to disavow him?""

Sure, there are all sorts of things he could say. He could call for higher taxes. He could call for more Habeas protections for Guantanamo inmates. he could call Bush a war criminal for invading Iraq and for torture.

But he won't say any of those sorts of things, and they certainly won't disown him for saying the ignorant and occasionally bigoted things that it thrills them to hear, the sorts of things they would say if they had no last lingering remnants of shame.

Posted by: WarrenTerra | April 30, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Palin and her cronies blew it up so they can pump more from Alaska's Prudoe Bay.

I just made that up and I'm not a drug-crazed obese fool.

See anyone can make up crap, especially Limbaugh and his compatriots, throw it at a wall and see if it sticks.

Posted by: MerrillFrank | April 30, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

You think Lambaugh cares about the dead oil wildcaters or their grieving families.

Posted by: MerrillFrank | April 30, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I disagree w the last post- if Rush called for higher taxes the rest of the party would fall in line and talk about austerity or whatever and back him up. His capture of the message is near total. Have you guys been paying attention to the lack of intellectual consistency on the right? It's all message of the moment, and if Rush says it's higher taxes, then it's higher taxes.

btw- great post from Krugman today anticipating this.

Posted by: Quant | April 30, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

nisleib,

I agree but I'm still ticked off at you for yesterday's snarky attitude ;-)

that being said any station that pays Larry King what they pay him has to be crazy but they did bring it up on American Morning this morning around 7'ish eastern. That's honestly where I first heard of it and as I've said before I don't watch Fox (well except for when Jon Stewart rags on them on his show), don't listen to Rush et al. and spend more time watching Olbermann and Maddow (yes i'm the ONE).

Posted by: visionbrkr | April 30, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

nisleib,

I agree but I'm still ticked off at you for yesterday's snarky attitude ;-)

Posted by: visionbrkr | April 30, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

@visionbrkr: "If you're going to misrepresent what I said please do a better job at it."

While it wasn't my initial intention to equate you with the conservatives that I insulted, you certainly move the goalposts and fling unsupported accusations with the best of them.

My comment was about your Katrina comparison, which is why I quoted that particular sentence of yours and only that sentence. Your good vs. better argument was clearly addressing Rush's accusation that this was ecoterrorism and had nothing to do with government response. For you to suggest that I'm misrepresenting what you said when your post is right there for all to see is pure lunacy.

So back to the original issue - you declare that this situation is Katrina-like and question whether Obama will be treated the same as Bush was. I'm asking you to back up that accusation given that the circumstances are very different.

Posted by: BigTunaTim | April 30, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I think Rush is a lesson in power.

So many people worry about power being concentrated in the state. All the while the state's being bought by contractors, and sold by guys like Rush.

We've already done consolidation of state power. That's the story of the 20th century. I don't see that happening again.

It's going to be something else next time, and it'll be guys like this haplessly leading the charge in the name of freedom and values.

Posted by: itstrue | April 30, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Vision - I don't get how you can stand Olberman. Maddow only disgusts me some of the time, but Olberman and Shultz...

Here is the problem with Olberman and Shultz, they try to do the same thing Limbaugh does - drum up faux outrage over nonsensical nonissues. Just because they are more attuned to me politically than Limbaugh is doesn't excuse thier outrage mongering. Anger helps nobody exchange ideas, it just gets in the way. See yesterday's snarky attitude for an example.

I know you have Sirius and need something to listen to while commuting. Might I suggest Bloomberg radio? Charlie Rose is on during the nightly commute and is usually quite decent.

Posted by: nisleib | April 30, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

And lest I forget:

@visionbrkr: "I've finally figured out who Toles' obese cartoons are of. Wow that Tom Toles is clever!"

Editorial cartoons were using obesity to insult "fat cat" corporate and government sleazeballs well before Rush was a glint in his daddy's eye.

Posted by: BigTunaTim | April 30, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Quant, it was uncanny how Krugman was able to predict this. It almost makes you think... there WAS a conspiracy!

Seriously, though, I agree with Quant about the complete message control. The thing which you have to recognize is that there fundamentally is not a lot of independent thought going on among the listeners. People develop their understanding of the world through the media they consume as much as they do through their daily experiences. Among conservatives, you end up with incredible amounts of power in the hands of guys like Beck and Limbaugh who are not fit to hold that sort of responsibility.

Posted by: jeffwacker | April 30, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

BigTunaTim,

I move the goalposts? I'm not even on the field???

That being said the point is you negated to mention that I called Limbaugh the loon that he is, praised President Obama for taking on Republican ideas (offshore drilling and nuclear power (which I didn't mention at first) and basically called Limbaugh's premise idiotic.

Yet the only thing you take out of it is the comparison that I since then clarified that I heard on CNN's American Morning this morning where they asked the question about not only President Obama but also Govenor Jindal? I am merely repeating what many people consider a middle of the road news station stated. If you have a problem with it, call John Roberts.

You really shouldn't be so sensitive (IMO). That being said I'm leaving it here because the last time I went "tit for tat" on this I spent the better part of my day butting heads with nisleib ;-)

Posted by: visionbrkr | April 30, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

nisleib,

I tried listening to CSPAN radio during the whole healthcare debate but my ears bled from how horribly wrong both the left and right were in that fiasco.

i'll have to look up Charlie Rose. My problem is that I travel at such odd hours and they change I can't find anything good.

I do listen to Morning Joe sometimes and he's not so bad. It honestly sometimes seems that Schultz and Olbermann are merely reactive to what the right says which only goes to show how pathetic they are (IMO). At least Maddow seems to have somewhat coherent thoughts that weren't devised by others.

Thanks BTT for the clarification on the obese caricatures. Now can we explain why everyone must give President Obama big ears? They're not that big!

Posted by: visionbrkr | April 30, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Sure!

He could be disowned for saying things like:

"President Obama makes a very valid point."
or
"Rupert Murdoch can go jump in a lake."

The point of which is-- he couldn't even get off this ride if he wanted to. It's a horrible machine that only goes in one direction.

Posted by: adamiani | April 30, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

@visionbrkr: I see. Now your beef with me is that I failed to pat you on the head for saying things you think I'd like to hear. And I'm the one that's sensitive?

I don't care if that argument came from CNN, FOX, or the ship flying behind the comet with all the Heaven's Gate people on it. You repeated it in here and I asked you to explain it since you brought it up.

It really is just that simple.

Posted by: BigTunaTim | April 30, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Ridiculous and totally disingenuous and false article by Ezra Klein. Limbaugh did not say it was an inside job. He said the news reports were indicating there was a problem with a safety valve and he was questioning why one would send SWAT teams as a first response to this(which by the way is a legitimate question---why didn't Obama react to this sooner---an immediate and prompt widespread response to this 8 days ago would have significantly lessened this disaster). That Ezra Klein would deliberately and so grossly misreport what Limbaugh said on this is a reflection on his credibility(or should I say lack thereof) as a journalist. If you don't like Limbaugh, fine, but at least report honestly and accurately instead of these blatant and biased distortions of fact.

Posted by: ConstantineXI | April 30, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I was able to obtain a rought transcript from the second half of the same show.

It reads:

"Rush want pills! Rush want pills! Rush want pills!!!!!!!!!!!"

Basically, it's the same show every-day.

Posted by: JPRS | April 30, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

@ConstantineXI: so really your problem is with the headline, not the article, right?

Obama did not send SWAT teams, he sent S.W.A.T. teams - Soil and Water Assessment Teams. That is the source of all the confusion.

Obama did not react sooner because there was no indication that it was a major spill until Thursday.

The attempts to equate this with Katrina and absolve Bush in the process are predictable, pathetic, and historically ignorant.

Posted by: BigTunaTim | April 30, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Rush is simply making an argument simply to pander to the base.
From I have gathered, BP did not have a safety valve installed to ensure that if an incident did occur, the valve would have shut it off citing the cost of it as well as other safety features. It is possible that the crews did not have the time to actually trigger the valve shutoff forcing other means to shut it off like a robotic submarine to physically do it. Even then it has not happened. When things get settled, it will be apparent what had happened.

Posted by: beeker25 | April 30, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

BTT,

I don't need a pat on the head thanks. If you're going to cut and paste me though, just please do the whole thing so that the truth of what I'm saying comes out that's all.

And I notice you run to the defense of President Obama (not that he needs it mind you) yet you don't defend Govenor Jindal at once during any of your replies to me. Any reason why??

Posted by: visionbrkr | April 30, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I've spent over eight years debunking 9/11 truth advocates, Ezra, and I'm here to tell you that it's not exclusively far left. It's not even a majority stake, I'd say. Most of the big names in the business - Alex Jones, Stephen Jones, Dylan Avery, Richard Gage, etc. - are right-wing libertarian Bircher types. Look at Glenn Beck hard, and you'll see someone resisting 9/11 Truth with every fiber of his being, because it's his natural state.

Posted by: boloboffin1 | April 30, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

If most people (namely media) had half the brain (rush will tell you himself he ties up half of his brain just to make it fair) rush has, we most likely would not be in the mess we are in today. You lie down with dogs you get up with fleas. The only media we have that tells the truth is talk radio and fox and no one, not this rag and not any other show does it like rush. He's number 1 for a good reason. He bothers to investigate. He bothers to tell the truth. And he CARES about our country. Maybe you should try listening to him instead of just trying to sabotage him Klien. Seems to me you don't bother - about anything.

Posted by: Eskiegirl302 | April 30, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Eskiegirl302 is a parody troll. It has to be. Or a perl script. You can't compact that much trite into so small a space except as performance art, or a comp-sci term project.

Posted by: davis_x_machina | April 30, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

No, there is nothing Rush says that causes his listeners even a moment of pause. Interesting, though, that repubs are whining that this is "Obama's Katrina" and decrying the time it took for him to act. If they were so very sincere in their screed about private business being entirely independent of government, why don't they expect their business gods to be able to clean up the messes they make? Why, by their own logic, should Obama and the government have to intervene at all? Besides, even if this were somehow Obama's fault, it doesn't excuse the failings of the Bush Administration where Katrina was concerned. That kind of logic takes mental contortions.

Posted by: SashaAriane | April 30, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Maybe had Mr Klein here put the couple of paragraphs(from Limbaugh and one from Obama) preceeding the one he posted you would understand what Rush was saying. First off a caller started this because Napolitano (through Obama ) was sending Swat teams down to the spill. The caller initiated the possibility that swat was sent down there was that maybe it was puposely and Rush just ran with it. Read it for yourself,the paragraphs in question are around the picture of Napolitano. Better to read it all though. Had any of you actually listened to the transcript, you would know Klein is not being honest here.http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_042910/content/01125113.guest.html

Posted by: williamfc | April 30, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, left out the word done in above post. "maybe it was done puposely"

Posted by: williamfc | April 30, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Geez, I cant type. lol

Posted by: williamfc | April 30, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, williamfc, the context does not exonerate Limbaugh. Its a wacko notion, and a radio host who is not a wacko himself would not 'run with it.' He'd shut it down after letting the wacko caller spin his crazy scenario. Rush is on the hook for this lunacy, william.

Posted by: RalfW | April 30, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Joe Biden: "He's a clean, articulate...black man.." Hey, you didn't call for the disowning of him, did you??? Or Rahm Emanuel: "you're retarded..." Or Harry Reid: "a black man who can speak the dialect..." People don't get disowned for one strange statement. They attract loyalty for the sum of their views, insights, behavior. Their followers cut them slack, just like Biden and other gaffe prone leftists are cut slack by their admirers. Can you not grow up?

Posted by: truck1 | April 30, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

It makes sense...the left has a history of violence...ELF was blew up a radio tower a few years ago..the anti-whale nuts ram japanese fishing boats...unabomber...the legacy of the 1960's radicals...those people are still around....

Posted by: economy48 | April 30, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Rush beat me to it. That was the first thing I thought, Obama blew up the oil well.

Posted by: arightway | May 1, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: arightway | May 1, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Ralf w,Ihappend to hear that part of the show.As I said,listen to the audio(whole thing starting where the caller initiated the theory),Rush was being facetious. The caller brought it up,Rush ran with a plausible scenario, its part of his shtick. Look ,do you wonder why Obama sent Swat to an oil rig? What job would they possibly perfom on an oil platform. Listen to the entire audio of that subject and you will understand. Please dont bother responding if you are just going to parrot someone elses opinion.

Posted by: williamfc | May 1, 2010 3:37 AM | Report abuse

I don't see a big difference between Limbaugh and any other GOP leader or personality. I am no longer a Republican because the entire GOP party is infested with these idiots. The Dem party has its problems too, but not nearly as bad.

Posted by: Lomillialor | May 1, 2010 6:31 AM | Report abuse

Rush is doing a great service to the Republican Party. He's saying all the things the party doesnt dare say in order to rile up their base and perhaps catch a few non-thinkers along the way.
Michael Steele got a bit to uppity for the leaders of the GOP when he criticized Rush and was forced to apologize!
Republicans will never disavow the Rush. If they did, they would have no base!!!

Posted by: TominNH | May 1, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Sociopaths don't act in their own interests. They are destroyers at heart who will act even if they are endangering others and the situation is not even in their own self-interest. Rush has united and empowered these people with his electric energy from high up in the tower of his radio broadcasting empire. He has given a script to so many that would have not had the gumption to act on their own. It's almost acceptable now to be racist and violent if you feel the situation calls for it: for instance, if someone isn't agreeing with you. The mid-terms will be interesting to say the least. We get to find out what this Republican Frankenstein can do. There isn't isn't anything that Rush can say or do that would turn off his robotic followers, even if he screamed "fire!" in a crowded theater.

Posted by: remember2 | May 1, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TominNH | May 1, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I'd bet money the SWAT teams have something to do with a terrorist attack. Were there Muslims working on that drilling rig?

Posted by: rmsnowco | May 1, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

When will the Democrats disavow Al Sharpton, the author of the Tawana Brawley hoax and the instigator of the Crown Heights riot and the firebombing of a Jewish owned shop?

When will the Democrats disavow Bill Ayers, the terrorist bomber? President Obama launched one of his campaigns in Ayers' living room.

Posted by: ShoutingThomas | May 1, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

For the Oil Spill... April 20th isn't the Earth Day it is 22th... !

I have got better :

April 20th 15:30 GMT, is the first day for the huge Transocean company, based on Zug in Switzerland, incoming in the stock exchange of Zurich (SSE).

April 21th, 03:00 GMT the explosion of Deepwater Horizon owned by Transocean happened

April 21th, 07:00 GMT the Stock Exchange Zurich do the first cotation of Transocean... since, it goes down as like BP as value

Coincidence ? Certainly not !

And Obama didn't sent SWAT Teams on deep water rig only for oil inspection !!!

From nuclear submarine (French SNLE for example), such a mission, very far from Louisiane, isnot so difficult almost thanks to Switerland's documents spy.

From inside too...

Why ?

State terrorism ?
Attacks against Oil Companie, Oil Stock Exchange perturbation before a next economic and financial disaster !

reply from former Haiti partner... after
Haiti Earthquake, Jan 12th, that many geophsycians couldn't really easily understand (so strong, so localised, so unnatural, so waited by military foreign offices. A foreign observation submarine have been sent to he carabian sea since 2009 dec.

Do we have to wait for the next international negotiations...during oil spill damaging the US coast and kill workers... ?

Posted by: Gresillaud | May 1, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

It's really funny. The moment that my wife and I heard about the explosion, we thought about an inside job or espionage. The constant lies and misinformation about the crisis have been obvious from the beginning. Now Rush is speaking the same thing. Oh well.

Posted by: tntalkamerica | May 1, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I've been thinking the same thing. What better way than to sway public opinion against more offshore drilling than by having a platform blow up.

I'm sure if someone did do this they hadn't counted on the huge oil leak, but (assuming they weren't one of the 11 dead), they are probably overjoyed at that unexpected bonus. Now the people who think we should shut down all industry and live on sticks and berries, in houses made out of recycled toilet paper, have something to point at they think justifies their position.

Is it LIKELY that someone caused this for political gain? I'll leave that for debate. But anyone that completely rules out the possibility that someone did, or trashes on someone else that suggests it, is utterly ignorant.

Posted by: none-123424656 | May 1, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Limbaugh, Beck, Palin, Bachmann, et al, do the heavy lifting for the gop. They're the dragnets that capture the bottom feeders. All that's left for the party to do is just say no.

Posted by: Ami_Blue1 | May 1, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

All that oily stuff floating in the Gulf of Mexico came from a leak in Rush Limbaugh's toilet.

Posted by: antiblazer | May 1, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

There is no time to waste. Can somebody rush Limbaugh to a psychiatric hospital?

Because, there's where this lunatic really belongs!

Posted by: jisantiago | May 2, 2010 4:20 AM | Report abuse

Can somebody rush Limbaugh to a psychiatric hospital. Because, there is where this lunatic belongs!

Posted by: jisantiago | May 2, 2010 4:23 AM | Report abuse

The only timing that bears scrutiny here is Limbaugh making another idiotic remark sure to get attention in the press. It's been weeks without a smear, rant or innuendo- can't let those ratings slip, not with Beck on the loose!

Posted by: psst_limbaugh_keep-ranting_satan | May 2, 2010 4:52 AM | Report abuse

There's enough paranoia and radicalism without just making things up.

Posted by: andrew23boyle | May 2, 2010 6:18 AM | Report abuse

And yet Obama does not deny that it was sabotage. Classic liberal play, in the same breath refuse to deny the accusation while demonizing those that make the accusation.

We are not that downie.

Posted by: gorak | May 2, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Rush calls it "illustrating absurdity by being absurd", then after the knee-jerk reactive press coverage, he turns it around, saying everybody (except the clueless press) knew what he meant, and then goes on to document examples of similar nonense getting a pass when it's come from liberals.

Not that that is a justification, only that that is the actual strategy when Rush says that sort of stuff. And if stokes the base, so much the better.

Also,did I miss it, or did nobody point out that that is an older picture of Rush? He's actually lost a lot of weight.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | May 2, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: truck1 | May 2, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

I assume the question is rhetorical. The answer is no.

Posted by: mypitts2 | May 3, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse

"What better way than to sway public opinion against more offshore drilling than by having a platform blow up."

Sure. And what better way to trick the Americans into an unnecessary war with Iraq than by having the Twin Towers blow up?

The 9/11 Truther comparison is very accurate.

Posted by: mypitts2 | May 3, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

******************************************
"I want to get back to the timing of the blowing up, the explosion out there in the Gulf of Mexico of this oil rig. ... "

Blatant and biased distortion of the facts are Limbaugh's bread and butter. Save your faux outrage for townhall.com or hotair.dot where you can find plenty of other fantasy enthusiasts.

Posted by: st50taw | May 3, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

truck1: "Of course it's an old picture. Klein and other bloggers have had instructions to attack the personal appearance of dissenters, when possible. It's part of the Alinsky method of personalizing the target."

Sometimes I think it really must be. Rush has lost a lot of weight at least twice, and during those periods he shot a ton of PR photographs. But they always go for the fattest picture they can find. Cuz it fits the template.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | May 3, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

The practice of attacking the looks of dissenters and opponents did not begin with Obama. It began with Clinton. Those old enough will recall the savage ridicule of Linda Tripp's looks, Ken Starr's face and baldness, and so on. Not done directly by Clinton, but through his operatives and administration friendly shows such as SNL. As superficial as it may seem, the ridicule of someone's looks is an effective and frightening tactic.

Posted by: truck1 | May 4, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse