Reconciliation

Today, we went long on the shadow-banking sector that caused the financial crisis, made the case for Lindsey Graham's anger at Harry Reid, made the case for Harry Reid's dismissal of Lindsey Graham, and tried to ferret out "epistemic closure."

Here's what I didn't get to:

1) Ross Douthat wonders whether conservatism needs Fox News.

2) Tim Fernholz looks at what comes next for FinReg.

3) Felix Salmon did not have a good meal at Chez Panisse. (My last time there was really terrific, however.)

4) Spencer Ackerman really didn't have a good meal at the Star and Shamrock.

5) Should Congress overrule the states on climate-change policy?

Recipe of the day: English pea soup with mint.

By Ezra Klein  |  April 26, 2010; 6:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Towards a unified-field theory of the financial crisis
Next: The Federal Reserve and the banks join forces against Blanche Lincoln's derivatives proposal

Comments

This is the only political blog I read that makes me hungry!! That pea soup. Yum. But I have to agree with the review of Chez Panisse. We live in the area and have been disappointed by them multiple times. Overpriced. Not well managed. Just not as good as advertised. I think Alice has given up managing this place and it is not what it was in the very beginning.

Posted by: LindaB1 | April 26, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Does conservatism need Fox news? No.

Would a lack of conservative media guarantee another Ronald Reagan? No.

And although liberals arguably are winning on policy, Republicans are suceeding in neutering much of that policy. So perhaps it's a wash there, although I see no indication Republicans will be able to advance a coherent policy if they regain control.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | April 26, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Of course conservatism needs Fox news! The ideology per se is utterly discredited. They exist as an institution, a culture, a machine. You argued during the healthcare debate that the divide was partisan rather than ideological-- and indeed, this is so. Conservatism is dead as an ideology, conservatism as a brand lives on.

Posted by: adamiani | April 27, 2010 4:40 AM | Report abuse

"Conservatism is dead as an ideology"

If this was true, then there wouldn't be any ideological conservatives, and there are plenty of them.

And of course the ideology is utterly discredited . . . with liberals. It always has been. Otherwise, they'd be ideological conservatives, too.

Conservatism does not need Fox news. Any more than liberalism requires MSNBC to exist.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | April 27, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

It sounds like Felix and Michelle went to the cafe and not the restaurant. Despite the name, both serve dinner. The different names are mainly to tier the food.

The cafe is just average, its not food you can't get at a lot of other great restaurants in the bay and it is not the food that Chez Panisse is famous for. The restaurant requires reservations a month or so ahead of time, a deposit on the reservation, and a meal for two with wine will run between $200-$400. I've been to both and the restaurant and are VERY different. I can't really say whether it worth the money, but the meal I had was one of the best meals I've ever had.

Posted by: zosima | April 28, 2010 2:56 AM | Report abuse