Off to China

It sounds a bit strange to say "I'm headed to China tomorrow," but, well, I'm headed to China tomorrow. I'll be there on a reporters' trip until June 2, and be back in the States on June 3. I'll be trying to blog while I'm there, but I don't know how good -- or, er, uncensored -- my connection will be. So in my absence, some talented writers are going to be stepping in.

Many of you will already by familiar with Dylan Matthews, who helps out on Wonkbook now and has been a guest blogger here before. In addition to guest blogging, he'll be writing Wonkbook in my absence. Some of you will also remember Mike Konczal from his previous stint on the blog. Mike is a finance expert at the Roosevelt Institute and the author of the terrific blog Rortybomb. I can't think of anyone better to explain what's happened, and what's happening, on financial reform.

New to the blog are Kate Sheppard and Jonathan Bernstein. Kate is a former colleague of mine at the American Prospect who is now reporting on environmental issues at Mother Jones. I haven't been able to spend as much time on the topic as I'd like, but I'm confident that Kate will do a better job than I possibly could. Jonathan is a real live political scientist who blogs at the excellent Plain Blog, where he's better at bringing actual data to bear on current events than, well, just about anyone.

All in all, should be a good time on the blog. And I'll be around as much as possible. Speaking of which, if anyone has restaurant recommendations in Shanghai, Beijing, Yiwu or Dalian, I'm all ears.

By Ezra Klein  |  May 21, 2010; 5:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Germany's tough choice
Next: The gulf spill: Size matters

Comments

Best wishes for safe and pleasant travels, Ezra. Rather ironic that you suffered a stomach episode BEFORE traveling to a distant land.

Posted by: Patrick_M | May 21, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Safe travel, Ezra! I can't help notice that the reporters' trip is over and out of China two days before June 4th heh.

Posted by: chitownwonk | May 21, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

"if anyone has restaurant recommendations in Shanghai, Beijing, Yiwu or Dalian, I'm all ears."

Ezra,
Be careful. Chinese-chinese food may have restaurants that only serve ears...

Posted by: ctown_woody | May 21, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Drive safe honey, and wear your condoms!

Posted by: Mary42 | May 21, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Sichuan Government Restaurant in Beijing. Get something with hua jiao. Also, soup dumplings in the Jade Garden in Shanghai are a no-brainer. Oh, and soup dumplings in either city at Din Tai Fung!

Posted by: samuelec | May 21, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: samuelec | May 21, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Of course you have to go to Quanjude (全聚德) for Peking duck. It is a bit touristy now and there are several locations but it is still very tasty.

Posted by: airphloo | May 21, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

G-dspeed.
have a safe and beautiful journey!
carpe diem!!!!

Posted by: jkaren | May 21, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I've been gone for a while, but there's an excellent (if a bit showy) vegetarian restaurant in Beijing called Pure Lotus. The one I went to was near Tuanjiehu, but from this listing there's now a branch near the Lido hotel. They have a lot of variety, and I used to eat there quite often.

You should go see some live music while you're there; D-22 is a good start.

Posted by: robotadam | May 22, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

This is great Ezra that we can get some first hand reporting from China. Tell us more about China's sense of their recently acquired 'super power status'. Tell us more about how do they perceive the Korean issue. Tell us more about what do Chinese themselves read their benefit in backing USA in the Iran dispute. And tell us more about how China wants to make Pakistan as the client state in order to keep bringing India down.

All that aside, the single most important thing to know will be exactly what pieces of your reporting are to be 'censored' by Chinese Authorities. You can have the comparison of your original reporting copy and what was allowed (say when you come out of China). This is the real beef to know - what is the exaggeration and what is the reality when it comes to censoring the journalistic output. We are looking forward for that. That will be hell lot interesting to read about on this blog.

Posted by: umesh409 | May 22, 2010 1:05 AM | Report abuse

The chinese govt. will have no need to censor this blog. There will be no reporting on gulags, forced abortions, the cruel one child policy and its astounding results, nor the harvesting and sale of organs from executed "felons." Nope, no brave "speaking out" from this place.

Posted by: truck1 | May 22, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

There's a great Chinese restaurant in Shanghai that you should check out. I can't remember the name, but ask around and you'll find it. You're welcome.

Posted by: jeffwacker | May 22, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Don't have any places, one memorable place I hit in Beijing has gone downhill and the others aren't huge standouts.

However, I would say that during my trip, I was very well served by going with groups, doing a mix of dishes, and sharing like crazy. That plays to my general dining style, but it works particularly well in China where you can often get distinctly separate vegetable and meat courses and the like.

Posted by: greg_sanders | May 22, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

You should try Dai food in Beijing; the best place is the Golden Peacock (16 Minzu Daxue Bei Lu, Weigongcun, Haidian district (tel 6893 2030). 金孔雀傣味餐馆 海淀区魏公村民族大学北路16号(韦伯豪家园对面)).

Uyghur food is also great. Try the Silk Road.

I'm actually in China now.

Posted by: michiganmaine | May 23, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

"Also Saturday, BP told federal regulators it plans to continue using a contentious chemical dispersant, despite orders from the Environmental Protection Agency to look for less toxic alternatives. BP said in a letter to the EPA that Corexit 9500 "remains the best option for subsea application."

The EPA didn't immediately comment on BP's decision."

the second epic national disaster, outside of the spill, is the way it is being handled.
is anyone in charge of this outside of british petroleum?

our marshes and wetlands could possibly be destroyed....the leak is still gushing. the longterm implications of the dispersant may be as hazardous as the oil, but it is still being used.
when when when....
will there be a prime time press conference held, in which napolitano, salazar and chu....experts from the epa and marine biologists and the center for disease control (soon this will be affecting people's health in certain areas, and if shellfish and other sea creatures are eaten) are all together to tell us in a centralized way, what is known, what is being done...and take questions, not just from the news media, but from other scientists.
this needs to be done regularly.
memorial day weekend is coming.
are the beaches safe? what about the marshlands?
what about the seafood?
..........and the ceo of british petroleum and their panel of experts need to speak to the american people directly.
the lack of accountability...has been terrible.
i dont understand this.
it is not in the best interest of the country to proceed like this, and not in the best interest of the administration.
i have been relying on ala.com and nola.com....two regional websites for the most reliable updates.
it should not be left to them to disseminate information on a national epic disaster.
why is it being handled like this?
it is not going to go away.
and we are capable of handling the truth, and deserve it.

Posted by: jkaren | May 23, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

The EPA didn't immediately comment on BP's decision."

this is unacceptable.
we have a right to know why the epa did not respond immediately, after british petroleum was ordered to stop using it. they have an obligation to us.
we have the right now, to understand what is happening.
all of us are being left in the dark.
it just is not right.

Posted by: jkaren | May 23, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Ezra,

Near my place in Shanghai, there is a great Sichuan place on the north side of Xinzha lu just five doors west of Yuyuan lu.

Shoot me a note if you have time and I'll meet you there for lunch or dinner.

walker [dot] frost [at] gmail [dot] com

Posted by: walkerfrost | May 24, 2010 1:39 AM | Report abuse

So, the great global warming fear monger is flying to China for a little takeout?

Yeah, I'll believe in "the crisis" when Klein starts acting like it is one.

Posted by: msoja | May 24, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

You should definitely get some Zha Jiang noodles in Beijing. I went to a place roughly called Old Beijing Noodle that was phenomenal. It is located near the Pearl Market and Temple ofHheaven at 29 Chongwenmen Dajie, Beijing, China . You should also try a dish there that I refer to as "Chinese Hummus" made of tofu. Its really good.

In Shanghai, eat some fried soup dumplings. A place called "Yang's" near Nanjing Road was great. The address is 54-60 Wujiang Lu.

Enjoy. China has some amazing flavors.

Posted by: lgottesfeld | May 24, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse