Reconciliation

I'm trying to figure out what the role of reconciliation is in the age of Wonkbook. Seems odd to start the day with a massive hunk of aggregation and end it with a couple of links. Maybe just keep the links to my best posts of the day? Move to just fun links? I don't know.

In any case, I'll be on “Countdown” with Keith Olbermann about 8:10 eastern. We're talking Kagan.

By Ezra Klein  |  May 10, 2010; 6:37 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Exempting end-users -- or not
Next: Wonkbook: EU bailout cheers markets; Washington wonders about Elena Kagan; awe-inspiring lobbying from the banks

Comments

I vote for all the links staying in Wonkbook. For me the main benefit of resolution is that I know when I see it that you are done posting for the day (so I don't need to check again). So maybe a closing comment, the ocassional recipe, and a head's up about any TV appearances -- that's all you need to do before scooting out the door.

Any clear idea now about the schedule for when the FinReg bill will wrap up amendments and move toward a final vote?

Posted by: Patrick_M | May 10, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Re. "Talking Kagan:

Make sure you discuss how much personal characteristics matter in evaluating a judge's background under President Obama's value standards for Justices.

If they don't matter, don't be afraid to say so. But if they do, represent the new generation Ez, and explain to us why somebody should be shamed into hiding their sexual orientation.

Thanks. If I had cable, I'd be watching ya! Tiptoe through the tulips, as the lyrics have it...

Posted by: Mary42 | May 10, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

"...and explain to us why somebody should be shamed into hiding their sexual orientation."

Troll42 is probably referring to George Reckers.

Or maybe Larry Craig.

Or perhaps she is referring to Mark Foley.

Or it could be the Reverend Ted Haggard.

Or perhaps Charlie Crist.

Hard to say.

Posted by: Patrick_M | May 10, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

I would say include any columns for the Post published that day. I don't think you link to it every time you write one do you? I don't want to have to subscribe to another RSS feed to get them, anyway.

Posted by: prettyimportant | May 10, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

All of the above, Patrrick.

But espcially one who has been nominated for SCOTUS, after our president made a big point of telling us that personal experience greatly influences judicial decisions ... and this one had absolutely nothing in that department to base her qualifications on.

Capiche, Pattric? (You're not a Patrrik Califia wannabe now , are you girl?)

Posted by: Mary42 | May 10, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

More fun links!!

Posted by: bigmandave | May 10, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Reconciliation (in its current form) is my favorite post of the day. As much as I like your blog, I'm pressed for time more often than not. At the end of the day, I can at least read the stuff you highlight in your last post before hitting "Mark all as Read" on my RSS feed. I'm awful, I know.

Posted by: aalvarez25 | May 10, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

"...personal experience greatly influences judicial decisions ... and this one had absolutely nothing in that department to base her qualifications on."

Troll42's posts become increasingly juvenile and incoherent. And that's another indicator that the nominee may look forward to a swift and easy confirmation.

The "personal experiences" to which Obama refers comes from a career spent outside the monastic existence of the typical appellate judge. The President is referring to her rise from a modest upbringing through an Ivy League education, followed by a distinguished career notable for the breadth of her success and accomplishments in academia, law, and government, and as an executive in the challenging position of Dean of Harvard Law School. He refers to the praise that he has heard from people both on the right and the left about her leadership qualities and her ability to forge consensus among contentious factions.

Kagan will be impressive during her confirmation hearing and she will win easy confirmation. The minority will have difficulty finding a single witness with anything negative to say.

The only interesting question at this point is not whether Kagan will be confrmed, but just how many of the Republicans will join the Democrats in voting yes on the nomination. I am betting she'll have a wider margin than Sotomayor.

I had to look up the Califia reference, and once I did I was unsurprised to find out that Troll42 a reader of that sort of thing.

Posted by: Patrick_M | May 10, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure that it should be capitalized: The Age of Wonkbook.

Posted by: hudibras | May 10, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

The external links are by far the most important part of Reconciliation for me, and a nice place to find other interesting readings without having to wade through a whole ton of filler to get at it.

I've never found the wrap-up of your own posts extremely useful, but I'm a pretty voracious RSS follower so I'm normally already through your day of posts before I read Reconciliation.

Please don't get rid of the external links round-up!

Posted by: nmp8668 | May 10, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I love the new Wonkbook, but there are 10 hours between its composition and distribution and that of Reconciliation. Definitely seems to be a few more things at the end of the day that we may want to read before Wonkbook the following morning. My two cents goes along the lines of continuing Reconciliation in similar fashion, as I feel Wonkbook is something that enables coverage of a broader scope of subjects.

Posted by: ChrisFinger | May 10, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

"Troll42's posts become increasingly juvenile and incoherent"

STicks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me. Are you going to call for censorship here now, too, Pettruck?

She's absolutely the purrrrfect nominee. No judicial background. 5 published opinions. One year on the job arguing ... 6 cases (1 lost, others results not in). Yup, she's the best female legal mind y'all could find for the job, eh?

Keep defending the lady's record, Pettrick. It only makes you look more and more desperate. And, and best up your namecalling game too. Numeric superstition and tossing labels around only gets you so far, even in these days of reduced persuation, argumentation and an appeal to logic. (go -- look it up, or ask your boyfriend. We'll wait...)

Posted by: Mary42 | May 11, 2010 4:47 AM | Report abuse

Is there now any doubt what's going to happen next year when the GOP controls the House?

We are returning to the mid-90s era of endless criminal investigations of Democrats and their allies, and quite probably an impeachment of President Obama. Just look at the foolishness now going on in Virginia and how the Georgia AG is being threatened with impeachment for refusing to sue the Fed gvmt over health care reform. Look at AZ's lunacy and how they are going to use these new laws to further suppress voters in AZ, and how other states now are considering adopting these same laws. Sarah Palin wants to subjugate US law to the 10 Commandments and the Bible. Michelle Bachmann wanted to investigate Dem lawmakers for being un-American. Conservatives are investigating climate scientists in order to silence them. Conservatives mostly are responsible for this era of neutered regulation and laissez faire economics based on greed and profit at any cost (as well as the vast majority of the debt) and now we are going to return them to office?

Bills for FinReg and Cap-trade and energy aren't gonna happen any time soon. So it's all wasted breath to even discuss them.

The Dems were right about the dangers of off-shore drilling. They were right about climate change. They were right about Iraq. They were right about wanting to transition America to a clean energy future. They were right about the need for health care reform. They were right about taxes and balancing the budget and debt.

We are headed for a major hard reset folks. Put on your seatbelts and get ready for a very bumpy ride the next few years. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Posted by: Lomillialor | May 11, 2010 6:19 AM | Report abuse

I liked the interview with Keith O. However, I am having problems getting the mental image of Justice Kennedy chasing a !00-Grand candy bar out of my head.

Posted by: ViewFromTheWest | May 11, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Keep Reconciliation in its current form! I love reading the links you post. More fun ones are always good, too, though.

Posted by: kcb244 | May 11, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse