Recap: The housing collapse is probably contributing to the unprecedented jump in long-term unemployment; Lindsey Graham's climate nonsense is, at least, a calculated form of nonsense; Rand thinks the Affordable Care Act is a pretty good at doing what it's meant to do; and the White House sort of missed the point of labor's challenge to Blanche Lincoln.

Here's what I didn't get to:

1) Howard Gleckman thinks the tea parties are interested in tax cuts, not lower deficits.

2) "The Gulf disaster reminds us that homegrown dirty energy is no better than dirty energy imported from abroad."

3) How "Toy Story" saved -- and ruined -- kids movies.

4) "One reason why it's getting harder for laid off workers to find new work is that technology is sweeping through their old companies, destroying their old jobs forever."

Recipe request: Actually, I'm not looking for a recipe. I'm looking for some good recipe blogs. What're your favorites?

By Ezra Klein  |  June 10, 2010; 6:29 PM ET
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Imagine a world in which recessions don't mean uninsurance
Next: Wonkbook: Murkowski defeated; BP to White House; Deflation concerns

try for great local recipes

Posted by: Riddleberger | June 10, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Smitten Kitchen is a great recipe blog, so is (by Heidi Swanson), which focuses on natural and veg cooking.

Posted by: RDaneel | June 10, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

They aren't "recipe blogs" per se, but my favorite cooking blogs (which often have recipes) are and

Also, a lunch break idea for you--Nathan Myhrvold talks about his much-awaited cookbook (2,200 pages; $600 list price). Yes, he's the same guy in Freakonomics who's leading the geoengineering work.

Posted by: mkindc | June 10, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Grocery Gaming:

It's got a rather different focus than most recipe blogs: good (healthy, yet tasty) eating on a poverty-level budget (written by a cash-strapped grad student).

Posted by: mudlock | June 10, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

I've been very impressed with the nutritional expertise of Dr. Joel Fuhrman. He makes a strong scientific case for a diet predominantly of unprocessed or little processed plant foods in his books, "Eat to Live" and "Disease Proof your Child".

His website ( has many delicious very healthy recipes.

Posted by: RichardHSerlin | June 10, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Cooks Illustrated:

Cooking Light:

Posted by: innovator101 | June 10, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

This is easy. Chef John at is the best. It isn't all the time you find a funny food blog, but this guy is the real deal.

Posted by: user435 | June 10, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

I agree with RDaneel, is a very good food blog. The blog emphasizes ingredients that are likely to already be in your kitchen and foods that are coming into season, two big pluses in my book. Certainly there are lots of desserts, but lots of other stuff as well. How about shaved asparagus pizza?

I've just subbed to Michael Ruhrman's blog He wrote the brilliant cookbook "Ratio". I have no idea if I will find stuff I want to cook yet in this blog, but it looks promising. My CSA starts delivering food next week, and his blog post yesterday has a recipe for kale that he got from his CSA.

Posted by: scifiknitter | June 10, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Clearly, we're into the food comments. I so miss Kim O'Donnell. Speaking of whom, she has a good (if irregular) blog over at True/Slant. And, of course, your colleagues over at Style.

Other thoughts. Epicurious. Good ideas. Along the Cooks Illustrated idea, consider investing in one of their cookbooks.

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | June 10, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

"How 'Toy Story' saved -- and ruined -- kids movies."

The argument on the "ruined" side of the ledger is extremely weak sauce. Toy Story is not to blame from Shrek--though the influence of Pixar might have something to do with the much-superior Kung Fu Panda and How to Train Your Dragon.

Toy Story ruined kids movies? Now, that's crazy-talk.

This has always been true. It's why, over time, the ranks of labor gets thinner and the ranks of middle-management gets thicker. Eventually, all companies will be nothing but gigantic IT departments, accounting and a CEO.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | June 10, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Domestic capacity has advantages that, all other things being equal, being dependent on imports can't match. Also, all energy consumed on the massive scale we consume it is "dirty" energy. In some fashion.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | June 10, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Lottie + Doof (; Sunday Suppers (; and The Wednesday Chef (

Also, not a food blog per se, but Yotam Ottolenghi's New Vegetarian column in the Sunday Guardian (UK) is great:

That should get you started ...

Posted by: leslou | June 10, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Great recipes and other info.

Posted by: jfusek2 | June 10, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Witty, entertaining, and generally food-related.

If baking is your speed, Joy the Baker always posts delicious things.

Posted by: amls22 | June 10, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I just wanted to put in a third vote for Smitten Kitchen. I've had excellent luck with the recipes I've made from there.

Posted by: tracy2 | June 10, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

I happen to have the pleasure of eating a fair amount of what's chronicled on this blog (a mix of cooking and baking recipes), and it's consistently delicious:

Posted by: nickel79 | June 10, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse
The name says it all.

And what happened to your naming convention of reconciliation?(sp?)

Posted by: shadowgunmaninthedark | June 10, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Taste of Beirut ( has reliably excellent Lebanese recipes.

Herbivoracious ( is similarly reliable on veg[etari]an dishes.

Posted by: brgreenfield | June 10, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Try She's Colombian, so there's a decided South American flavor to the recipes, and the food is incredibly delicious while also costing next to nothing to make.

Posted by: strothers345 | June 11, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Another food site:

Serious Eats:

Posted by: innovator101 | June 11, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Ezra, I love ChocolateandZucchini and DavidLebowitz, two food bloggers with many recipes, linked on Americablog. For vegan recipes (I;m a vegan and I know you are not) there's post punk kitchen. Actually Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Romero's cookbooks are more consisten than this 'community' site, but there's some good stuff there.

Posted by: nancycadet | June 11, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I like and

Primarily, I like recipe blogs that have step-by-step pictures, because my oven is gigantic, so cooking times are always off. It's good to be able to see how 'done' everything should be at every stage.

Posted by: NeonBlueStocking | June 11, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse