Annoying e-mail you don't want, cont'd

Apparently, there's already a name for "annoying messages that aren't technically spam." Matt Penniman writes:

Actually, there's already a name for this (and it's fairly clever): bacn. It's "email you want, but not right now".

But I think I come down with MosBen on this one:

That's a very clever name, mattpenniman, but confusing. I love bacon and want it all the time, even if I don't actually have it very often. I don't really want that newest email from Mr. Plouffe right now. Unlike bacon. mmmmmmmmmm, bacon....

By Ezra Klein  |  August 31, 2010; 3:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: It's hard to save an industry we don't respect
Next: Will we ever recover from the financial crisis?

Comments

I think the theme of it being meat should be kept but that Bacon is a bad analogy. The "annoying messages that aren't technically spam" need a better "sometime food" analogue, like "hotdogs" or "ham hocks" (better cut than what is used in spam but very situational), etc.

Posted by: ctown_woody | August 31, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

There are many cool things you can already do in Gmail to deal with things like this.

The most basic is filters. I think everyone should have about 50 of those set up to properly label, archive, etc. all incoming mail.

Second, the gmail email address is really flexible. If your email address is:

yourname@gmail.com

then you can add anything to it with a + sign

eg: yourname+newsletter@gmail.com

Something sent to this address will still get to you.

Also cool, you can add as many periods as you want. The following will work:

your.name@gmail.com
y.o.u.r.n.a.m.e@gmail.com

Or, use both together:
yo.our.n.am.e+newsletter@gmail.com

Sign up for all your quasi-junk (ie, low-priority) mail with such an address then add a filter to label and archive it.

Posted by: nylund | August 31, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

We could call annoying non-spam messages something like "souse". Or "livermush".

I agree with MosBen. Bacon is delicious. People can send me bacon, anytime.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | August 31, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, I was just thinking about the term "sausage". Granted, it's delicious, but it's also got enough negative connotations from how it's made that it could work for something you want but are still a little annoyed by, or don't need to see.

Posted by: MosBen | August 31, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm actually liking "sausage" more and more, though it might be too humorous. Well, I guess spam was a funny term when we first used it and now it's pretty banal. Still, "I keep getting sausage from David Plouffe." has got me chuckling to myself quite a bitl.

Posted by: MosBen | August 31, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Ya. I agree with MosBen. An email from Plouffe would not be bacon. An email with a picture of a scantily-clad woman I find super attractive would be more like it. Something that I like a lot more than I should, that I could happily consume all the time, except that that would be very bad for my overall welfare (e.g., when at work, when around my wife, etc.)

Posted by: JDNash | August 31, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

how about.....lettuce?

although lamb's lettuce, hydroponic lettuces and biodynamic lettuces are interesting...still and all, lettuce seems to be disregarded and non-essential. not taken quite as seriously as, say, the bacon or tomatoes...or the crusty bread....but it has its redeeming place in the scheme of things.

mostly, it isnt craved, but it has its place in the scheme of things.

apologies to anyone who enjoys lettuces as their favorite food. (i know you are out there:-))

Posted by: jkaren | August 31, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Ezra, I'm surprised at a laansman like you; eating tref? What would your mother say? Gevalt!

Posted by: msollot | August 31, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse