Tom Toles is worth a thousand words

c_08302010.gif

By Ezra Klein  |  August 30, 2010; 12:01 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The case against reforming Social Security
Next: The Cossacks work for the czar

Comments

oh come on now. Why is the guy wearing a suit? Shouldn't he be in tattered clothing?

Posted by: visionbrkr | August 30, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

visionbrkr, I don't see a lapel to indicate that he's in a suit. That could be a long sleeve t-shirt or a sweater.

And I know that sometimes Toles' cartoons aren't well received here, but I'm going to come out now and say that I think this one is great.

Posted by: MosBen | August 30, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

MosBen,

ya maybe you're right. I just thought for effect it should be tattered clothing like the kind you'd see on a hobo or something.

Also it'd be better if somehow it showed the crocodile about to squish the person like a bug with his handkerchief but hey maybe I'm taking this thing too far.

oh wait, I AM taking this thing too far.

Posted by: visionbrkr | August 30, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

If its the impression Tom Toles isn't well received here, I guess those of us who like them need to second him in comments more often. This would clutter up comments with empty wind, so we don't. So those who feel the need to argue with his point are the ones who contribute. Hence the impression.

Posted by: dfhoughton | August 30, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfhoughton | August 30, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Fair enough, dfhoughton. It does seem to me that an awful lot of Toles posts end up with really critical comments sections.

Posted by: MosBen | August 30, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I suppose it's a shame dfhoughton couldn't find an actual specific jot to put forth in support of Toles.

That said, I sorta like the cartoon above, for the word "NAPKIN", included in case those "at the bottom" don't get the leading aside. Toles knows his audience.

And then there are the priceless absurd reductionist possibilities: Let the croc starve, even just a little, and the world will be a better place? Or even, damn crocs, away with them, and onward to Utopia!? Even as the gov makes it difficult to kill real crocs. (Or alligators, if you fancy yourself an aficionado of what actually lives where.)

What mustn't be referenced, of course, are hints of notions that inequities built of the exceedingly complex interplay of sundry factors pertaining to the rise of life in a hostile and indifferent universe are somewhat more in line with reality than supposing the criminal exploitation of naive innocents in a long running screenplay along the lines of that HBO thing I never watched.

*I* thought that the "if the rich are winning everyone else is losing" meme had long been relegated to junior high posers. But I guess Toles knows his audience. As does Klein. I wouldn't be either one for anything in the world.

Posted by: msoja | August 31, 2010 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Hey, msoja, it's a cartoon.

Posted by: dfhoughton | August 31, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Hey, dfhoughton, it's an ignorant cartoon for ignorant people.

Posted by: msoja | August 31, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse