Weekend break

I've got to hop on a train, so instead of just tiding you over for lunch, this one will have to hold you through the weekend. Here's Malcolm Gladwell's lecture on the incredible efforts of the food industry to make shelf-stable spaghetti sauce:

As for recipes, eggs in purgatory looks workable for a weekend brunch. But note that the comments on the recipe suggest adding more spice.

By Ezra Klein  |  August 13, 2010; 1:24 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Uncertainty, legislation and the market
Next: Wonkbook: States have 100+ billion in unspent stimulus; out-of-the-box Romer replacements; Fannie and Freddie safe?

Comments

Interesting, and I have never given this much attention to canned sauce in my life. Perhaps Howard Moskowitz placed it into the context of spaghetti sauce, but I would chalk this up to Johnny Keynes. This seems like a case of demand creating its own supply. The multitude of different sauces means that Prego is the antithesis of Say's law.

Posted by: RisingTideLiftsAllBoats | August 13, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

So, when do we apply this technology to schools?

Posted by: jim80 | August 13, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

:i've got to hop on a train"

is it this one?
jubilation!
have a great weekend:-)

Posted by: jkaren | August 13, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Classic video. Love Malcolm!

Posted by: jryanking | August 13, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Just call them racists. It doesn't matter if it's true or not.

Posted by: soma_king | August 13, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

The way Ezra introduced this, I thought I was going to get a Michael Pollan-esque diatribe about preservatives. Needless to say, this was far more enjoyable. Thanks!

Posted by: ithacanforobama | August 14, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

This is a secret message for all the Hard News reporters from Ezra's JournoLIST so that all of the liberals are on the same page:

The current message from the DNC that needs to be conveyed: Republicans hate Muslims! Republicans hate Hispanics!

Scary Republicans.....please try to work it into your "hard news" headlines whenever possible.....follow good ole boy Ben Smith over there at Politico.com!

Posted by: FastEddieO007 | August 15, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh Malcolm Gladwell, changed my views on many many things. His books are awesome - if not a bit exagerated!
-Fran├žois Comeau-Lapointe

Posted by: FrancoisComeau-Lapointe | August 15, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure this is the train Ezra caught a ride on . . . a marvel of central planning and modern mass transit!

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | August 16, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

kevin

haha:-)
(was that the loveboat on traintracks...or what?)
brenda vaccaro and ricardo montalban must have been passengers on that one!

Posted by: jkaren | August 16, 2010 1:06 AM | Report abuse

Is this an emphasis on empiricism, or ideology? Just call them racists; it doesn't matter if it's true or not.

Posted by: soma_king | August 16, 2010 1:20 AM | Report abuse

Relax, there's no liberal media conspiracy. Just ask Dan Rather! I trust journalism Group Think. It's the narrative of choice.

Posted by: soma_king | August 16, 2010 1:25 AM | Report abuse

jkaren: Yes, it was the Loveboat on Train Tracks, and seemed to derive some of its inspiration from The Big Bus (a movie I loved as a child, and you've got to see once, if you never have . . . it's available as a DVD from Netflix).

I was watching the Big Bus several months ago, with my wife and daughter, who kept giving me strange looks for picking out that movie. Then, when attempting to slow down the giant bus, the pilot yells out "Raise the Flags of All Nations!" and the flags all pop up out of the top of the bus, I just bust out laughing. And my family looks at me like I'm crazy.

But, yes, Supertrain was the NBC (I think) attempt to make a Love Boat, all the way down to the humorous African American bartender/steward. Literally, they have their own Isaac, their own Gopher. Raw thievery.

There's a petition to get it released on DVD. It's has a very tiny but devoted following.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | August 16, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

BTW, soma_king, you need to go bug Spencer Ackerman, who is the one who suggested that stupid strategy. Nobody here cares, or thinks Ezra supports such a strategy.

Seriously, Ezra is about as open-minded and fair-minded as a serious liberal can be. Why would you want to attack one of the important liberal pundits who actually listens to, and tries to understand, conservative and Republicans and their positions? It makes no sense, unless fighting and criticizing is all you really want to do. Then it's just name-calling for name-calling's sake.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | August 16, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse