Larry Sabato predicts massive GOP wins in 2010

Here's his outlook:

Given what we can see at this moment, Republicans have a good chance to win the House by picking up as many as 47 seats, net. This is a “net” number since the GOP will probably lose several of its own congressional districts in Delaware, Hawaii, and Louisiana. This estimate, which may be raised or lowered by Election Day, is based on a careful district-by-district analysis, plus electoral modeling based on trends in President Obama’s Gallup job approval rating and the Democratic-versus-Republican congressional generic ballot (discussed later in this essay). If anything, we have been conservative in estimating the probable GOP House gains, if the election were being held today.

In the Senate, we now believe the GOP will do a bit better than our long-time prediction of +7 seats. Republicans have an outside shot at winning full control (+10), but are more likely to end up with +8 (or maybe +9, at which point it will be interesting to see how senators such as Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut, Ben Nelson of Nebraska, and others react). GOP leaders themselves did not believe such a result was truly possible just a few months ago. If the Republican wave on November 2 is as large as some polls are suggesting it may be, then the surprise on election night could be a full GOP takeover. Since World War II, the House of Representatives has flipped parties on six occasions (1946, 1948, 1952, 1954, 1994, and 2006). Every time, the Senate flipped too, even when it had not been predicted to do so. These few examples do not create an iron law of politics, but they do suggest an electoral tendency.[...]

The statehouses will provide the third leg of the Republicans’ 2010 victory. We have long suggested the GOP would gain a net +6 governorships. We now believe they will win +8. This boon to the GOP for redistricting will be enhanced by a gain of perhaps 300 to 500 seats in the state legislatures, and the addition of Republican control in 8 to 12 legislative chambers around the country.

By Ezra Klein  |  September 2, 2010; 9:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wonkbook: Romer wants more stimulus; five reasons for economic optimism; illegal immigration down
Next: Does Elizabeth Warren have something to tell us?

Comments

America has absolutely gone bonkers.

I am stunned we would let these goons back in office to run endless investigations again, and to once again dismantle gvmt and allow transnational corporations to control every facet of our lives.

Get ready for another impeachment and a few more wars.

God help us.

Posted by: lauren2010 | September 2, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

i have to agree with lauren.
there are always unforseen consequences and events, that can change our course, but the prevailing winds look ominous.
the foothold of racism, xenophobia, anti-intellectualism....the economic conditions and instant willingness to blame the present administration for everything including the weather, and to give credit for nothing, looks to me, to be creating a perfect storm.
are we just standing by and letting all of this happen?
is there still a choice, or are events just unfolding, and carrying us on an ill wind.
are the democrats just folding?
just watching, it is hard to know what is happening....or maybe, it isnt.
very unsettling. like watching storm clouds gather in the distance.
what should we do? are we folding before evil?

Posted by: jkaren | September 2, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lauren2010 | September 2, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

By all means leave.

Posted by: thebink | September 2, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I have to say that though I've expected GOP wins this fall for a long time, I am pretty shocked at the magnitude that it's looking like it's going to be. This is a party that was thoroughly disgraced just a few years ago, not just through a ton of scandals (and let's remember that there really were quite a few scandals involving Republicans between 2001 and 2006), but through a lot of really terrible decisions in governance. And now after two years of President Obama the zeitgeist of the party seems even less in favor of sober responsible governance.

We'll see though. My feeling is that big campaign rhetoric tends to mellow once the task of actual governing sets in. Still, the Republican party really hasn't left me with lots of confidence that they're really interested in sober reflection and seriously tackling the problems we face. I'm just expecting crowing about the debt while lowering taxes with no offsets and attempting to gut the social safety net and deregulate business.

Please, Republican Party, give me some indication that you want to govern like adults...

Posted by: MosBen | September 2, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

thebink, oh, and can we please not have the "Then just leave the country" conversation yet again? The Republicans are going to win this year, and few if any Dems will leave. And in a few years the Dems will win and few if any Republicans will leave. It's not an easy thing to move to another country, and few, if any, of us really want to. We like living here and I'm going to stay here after November and you're probably going to stay here after the Dems next big win.

So don't be a d*uche.

Posted by: MosBen | September 2, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

"We'll see though. My feeling is that big campaign rhetoric tends to mellow once the task of actual governing sets in."

This is usually a reasonable observation, but we seem to be looking at an influx of true believers, many of whom will owe their victory to the rejection of incumbents in primaries specifically because they were interested in the task of actual governing. They will join the Boehners and McConnells who have made it pretty clear their plan is to continue to reward the superrich and double down on the crazy as things collapse around them.

Posted by: zimbar | September 2, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Assuming that all Republicans want to "gut the social safety net and deregulate business" is a stretch and now even quite a few Democrats are seeing the wisdom of extending the tax cuts in order to stimulate the economy. Keep the social programs that are effective, eliminate those that are not. Cut down on the dead weight in government and those employees that are not necessary. Union workers with their benefits now make twice what private sector workers do. If this continues, there won't be enough people to buy what the union workers make. Government workers and civil servants also now average twice the salary of private sector workers for the same reason. Again, this is not sustainable as government workers are paid with taxpayer money. Do not pass broad sweeping programs that have not even been read. The stimulus failed so bringing about another is foolish. Get rid of tenure for teachers, weed out the bad ones and reward the good. Do not reward irresponsibility.

Posted by: thebink | September 2, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

After the GOP house impeaches Obama (which they will do), and if they remove him from office (which they will do if the GOP wins enough Senate seats), then I will indeed leave.

MosBen, Canada has passed laws making it harder for Americans to move there in recent years. Without those new laws, many, many thousands of Americans would have indeed moved there. Many have actually, though I don't have the numbers. Canada has a thriving legal industry in which Canadian lawyers, for a fee, help Americans to move there. At one point you could buy your way in by depositing $400,000 with the Canadian gvmt for a few years, interest free. Not sure if you still can do that though.

Posted by: lauren2010 | September 2, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Actually, the number of expats is at an all time high. I assume the numbers consist of those that want to escape higher taxes rather than political leanings but the fact is, many Americans have already left. Doctors are getting together to form offshore private pay clinics to service those that won't be able to get desired treatment in the states. Many doctors are already refusing medicare patients and their numbers will grow under Obama care. Many Americans want to simply pull the reins in on this administration's out of control spending.

Posted by: thebink | September 2, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

America: this is our IQ test. Are we really going to re-elect the party that drove the country into the ditch, despite the fact that they haven't changed their minds about anything but actually just want to do even more of the same, harder? If so, congratulations. We will win the international dunce competition.

Posted by: NomoStew | September 2, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

thebink

Your diatribe is a condemnation of modern laissez faire, pro-free-trade, pro-big-business high-profit-at-any-cost, no-US-loyalty, pro-transnational corporate big-business voodoo economics than it is of anything else.

You don't have a clue what's going on.

While there are always inefficiencies and abuses to correct in gvmt, to somehow think they are the cause of our current ills (from loss of US manufacturing since Reagan took office to endless debt that was created by the last three GOP presidents) shows you react to emotion rather than logic, facts, and the careful consideration of actual history.

The economy BLEW UP before Obama go into office. The last three GOP presidents created over 80% of all debt. Jobs were LOST because of Bush's polices.

Posted by: lauren2010 | September 2, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I've been a Democrat my entire life, up until now. However, Obama/Pelosi have pulled a "fast one" on the American people. Obama IS raising our taxes substantially, many of these taxes are hidden in ObamaCare bill., real estate taxes that will affect Everyone. Big Chunks of taxes when you sell your house.
(Obama doesn't want you to profit "too much" from the sale of your house, apparently,so he will redistribute it to other Americans through taxes!

Posted by: ohioan | September 2, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

ohloan is another IQ-challenged reactionary.

Posted by: lauren2010 | September 2, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Tea Party's are for little girls and their imaginary friends.

Posted by: blarsen1 | September 2, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Mosben asked for suggestions from Republicans as to what to do to fix the economy. I gave some examples that make sense to me. Lauren, instead of attacking my "diatribe" by putting words in my mouth that I simply did not speak, please address what I said that you don't agree with, that you find false or destructive in any way.

Posted by: thebink | September 2, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

thebink, there are reasonable compromises to be had on most of the issues you mentioned. And though "succeed" is a tough term to pin down, most opinions of economists that I've seen seem to indicate that the various stimulus actions did indeed make things better than they likely would have been had there been no stimulus. Was it a perfect program of stimulus efforts? Of course not. Did it return us to a roaring pre-crash economy? Of course not, though I haven't seen any suggestions that are likely to have produced that result anyway. And given where we are now in the economy there are plenty of stimulative things we could do that would help a great number of people.

As for this whole ex-pats discussion, until I see some numbers indicating otherwise, I think the safe assumption is that even a large increase in people leaving the country is going to be miniscule compared to the population at large, or even just the voting population. People get upset about elections. Very few people, regardless of political ideology, change their nationality because of it.

As for my beliefs about what Republican governing will be like, I hope it won't be anything like what I fear and would welcome a renewed sense of responsibility in the Republican Party. That being said, I don't think they were very responsible the last time they had control and nearly everything the party has done and said since then has led me to worry that they've actually become less responsible, not more.

As I said above, usually the firey campaign rhetoric turns into much more subdued governance when a party wins control, but as zimbar noted above (and I agree with him), there's a significant chance that this group of Republicans will buck the trend. I hope they don't, but I'm still worried and waiting for the Republican Party to start acting in a way that doesn't freak me out.

Posted by: MosBen | September 2, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

thebink, and I appreciated your suggestions, though I think they're more the start of a discussion than the end, and I'm not convinced that those alone are really going to get the economy roaring again.

That said, I'm not really worried about you. Unless you're hiding something, you're not running for office. I know there are reasonable Republicans out there. I think if Kevin Willis and I were co-dictators we could come up with compromises on just about everything. I'm concernced about the elected members of the Republican Party because they're the ones that will have control of some part of the government and they're the ones that have seemed, to me, to be more interested in stoking up the tea partiers than presenting real plans for responsible governance.

A very easy way for elected Republicans to make me slightly less nervous about them would be to get rid of the Park 51 controversy and birtherism. I completely expect some Republican-headed committee to hold hearings on President Obama's place of birth, and unless they use that opportunity to quickly and definitively squash that stupid meme I'm going to feel pretty vindicated in my fears.

Posted by: MosBen | September 2, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

"As I said above, usually the firey campaign rhetoric turns into much more subdued governance when a party wins control"

There's no basis for that.

Newt's 1994 bunch (and those who followed) were just as looney as the current bunch, and they went off impeaching Clinton, investigating and prosecuting Dems, gerrymandering at unprecedented levels, dismantling gvmt, outsourcing jobs in the name of higher profits, creating mountains of debt, starting wars.

Currently we see GOP officials in states like Virginia and Georgia investigating climate scientists (google "Michael Mann investigation") and Democratic officials for refusing to join-in on legal battles against Obamacare.

Things are going to get rough here starting next year.

Posted by: lauren2010 | September 2, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I agree with you mosben that Republicans blew it and are perfectly capable of doing so again and am hoping they won't. As for growing numbers of expats, I have read articles and stats regarding it but honestly can't remember where. I'm sure answers can be found on google if you want to search. My fear is that those that leave will be the truly wealthy and logic dictates that the lost tax revenues will have to be picked up by others. As for the stimulus, I believe it was a flop. It tweaked a bit here and there but value gained for the amount of money in the stimulus was dismal.

Posted by: thebink | September 2, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Mosben

You are naive if you think you can compromise on many key issues with ANY Republican.

Obama made the same mistake and that in part is why we are in this mess.

I truly find most progressives naive and most Republicans dangerous nihilsts. The combination is devestating.

Posted by: lauren2010 | September 2, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Lauren, this nihilistic dangerous Conservative is still awaiting an answer from you as to which of my fixes you disagree with. And please stop with the exaggerating.

Posted by: thebink | September 2, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

The stimulus was at least one trillion too small.

As such it is a huge political disaster, even though it helped save millions of jobs and increase GDP for a time.

Obama naively said at the time there would be more, bigger stimulus, if the first one didn't work. He was naive to think he would ever get a second stimulus. He had one chance to get it right, to get it big enough, just like most objective economists wanted, but he apparently didn't have the conviction of his beliefs, so instead succumbed to caution and politics.

Posted by: lauren2010 | September 2, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

thebink

dont hold your breath.

I stopped trying to make sense with reactionaries long ago. Obama should have done the same and treated the GOP as enemies, the way FDR did.

Posted by: lauren2010 | September 2, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thebink | September 2, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Well, I take my last post back Lauren as I posted it before your last. There is no compromising with angry reactionaries like you. You simply want to fight, so much so that you're willing to risk the future of this great nation.

Posted by: thebink | September 2, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Keep up the anti-life, anti-family, anti-marriage agenda. You reap what you sow. (Gal 6:7) Sad.

Posted by: Katheen777 | September 2, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

People like Kathleen are the reason these demagogues get elected. Same thing happened with Hitler.

thebink, you just proved my point. You "reacted" to my post and retracted your nice kumbaya moment within one minute of posting it.

My feelings have been persistent for over a decade. No reaction on my part.

The way the GOP used immigration issue (though it was subsiding) and the NY mosque as divisive issues is part and parcel why I am no longer a Republican.

Posted by: lauren2010 | September 2, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Lauren, your substantial ego is such that you don't even realize that you're hurting your own case with your posting style. Many more people read these posts and actually participate and according to recent polls, more Americans are conservative than not. The insults from such as you only serve to swell the numbers of those that will vote Democrats out this fall.

Posted by: thebink | September 2, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Lauren: I had family killed by the Nazi government. Sad.

Posted by: Katheen777 | September 2, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

You Journolist liberals just crack me up. You only read the Huffington post and NY times and hang out in these chat rooms and think that everyone has the same belief system as you. You are shocked that anyone could vote for a Republican. Go outside once and a while and talk to your neighbors. The American people have quite a bit of common sense. Even though Ezra and others have pitched the new health care legislation as a good thing, the majority recognizes that it is a boondoggle that will reduce the quality of care and drive up costs and the deficit. They are quite reasonable in kicking the Democratic majority that forced this legislation on us out of office. The system works. Ignore the will of the people and you are no longer entitled to represent us.

Posted by: cummije5 | September 2, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

@lauren2010: "Fascism also ran amok in other countries, even besides Germany and Italy. It's our turn now. The people who fared best in those countries were the ones who left while they had a chance."

Well, you had better hurry, then. You have until November. :)

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | September 2, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

@thebink: "See now we may be starting to get somewhere even if we disagree on a number of issues. Many Americans are disappointed with their party, Democrats and Republicans alike but painting either all Democrats or all Republicans with the broad brush of evil won't fix a thing and in my opinion could well bring this country down. Compromise on both sides is the only solution."

I like civil conversation, too, but the Lauren's of the world are not likely to change. ;)

Which is too bad. We all have common interests, and share a common humanity. As Depeche Mode once said: "People are people, so why should it be that you I get along so awfully?"

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | September 2, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Common sense doesn't lead one to vote for a party (the GOP) that shipped our factories overseas and created over 80% of the national debt and caused the Great Depression and invaded the wrong country (Iraq) and impeached a recent President over political purposes and prosecutes large numbers of political opponents for no good reason.

Posted by: lauren2010 | September 2, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

thats better news for pelosi...because rumor has it her democrats were getting ready to replace her with a pet monkey that isn't addicted to botox......hahahaha! even ACORN can't help you swindle votes...they're too busy hiding like roaches before more lights are turn on.

Posted by: JWx2 | September 2, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

lauren2010, I have to say that though you and I probably agree on policy issues a lot more than I agree with Kevin or thebink, I've sort of stopped reading your posts. Ok, maybe I still skim. Reading people's angry rants is just tiresome, especially since it doesn't take the conversation anywhere.

You're worried about what the Republican Party as currently composed will do if it regains power of some part of the federal government after the elections. I am similarly worried. But Kevin's a conservative (though I don't *think* actually a Republican...), and though I wasn't fond of thebink's "then leave" comment, after that he started posting very reasonable posts. And as far as I know, none of them are running for office on a Republican ticket.

And I can totally compromise with Republicans. If we're going out to dinner I may want to go to Mexican food and they may want Chinese, but we can compromise on Thai. I know that's a bit glib, but we shouldn't conflate the national parties with every individual. When the Dems are in the minority they're probably going to be obstructionist in ways somewhat similar to what Republicans are doing now. That's politics. It's the way the system is set up and something should be done to change the incentives and the rules to minimize that sort of thing. *That's* what makes it hard/impossible to compromise between the national parties; the minority doesn't gain anything through compromise except the warm feeling of doing their jobs.

My concern is that without any incentive to compromise with the minority the majority party has to cater to its most moderate members in order to get things done. That's what happened with just about every piece of legislation in the last two years and it's what will happen in a Republican Congress. I'm worried because there aren't as many moderate Republicans as there are moderate Dems, those few moderates that remain have shown themselves to be very loyal party members, and there's a very vocal base out there advocating for a lot of things that I frankly consider nuts. This seems to me to be a recipe for bad governance, but it doesn't mean there aren't reasonable conservatives out there that I could meet halfway on a lot of issues with.

Posted by: MosBen | September 2, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

MosBen

You are naive. Most progressives are. You STILL haven't figured out that the word compromise is not in the neocon vocabulary. Progressives have compromised us to death even as the GOP gets everything they want with their rigid ideology.

Don't insult me by saying you don't read my posts and then respond to them in the same breath.

Posted by: lauren2010 | September 2, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Lessee.....

People scream for jobs. Democrats pass "stimulus" which was used to prop up only those businesses that were unionized. Obma et al hires untold social radicals. Then, the Democrats spend an entire year on Healthcare, something no one was clamoring for. Then, they pass heavy financial regulation so we can't compete in world markets.

People still want JOBS and Dems have done nothing...NOTHING....and now you are shocked...SHOCKED, I SAY...that people are rising up like a tidal wave against the policies of this administration.

Duh!

Posted by: WrongfulDeath | September 2, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

"America has absolutely gone bonkers.

Get ready for another impeachment and a few more wars.

God help us."

Well, well, well. What a difference 2 years make. Reminds me of the statement in 1994 that America had a 'temper tantrum'.

Yes, the way Obama has currently constructed the gov't, yeah his actions need to be repealed. This administration has trampled on the Constitution, from the health-care bill, to immigration, to the student loan industry, to bailing out the auto companies and overturning centuries old bankruptcy laws, to illegal attacks with UAVs in Pakistan, to giving contracts to Blackwater for Iraqi security!

Hypocrisy knows no bounds with the left. Jimmy Carter 2.0, and 2012 is starting to look a lot like 1980.

Posted by: cranston_swanfisk | September 2, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

"Jewish people tend to vote for Democrats because they know what will happen if the Sarah Palins and Michelle Bachmanns and Glen Becks get their way.
Posted by: lauren2010 | September 2, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse"

***That's pretty absurd, considering Obama supported the Iraq Survey Group, which primarily blamed Israel's existence as the reason for problems in the Middle East. Conservative Christians are the staunchest allies of Israel***

"Democrats defeated Hitler even as the pro-Nazi GOP tried to keep the USA out of the war.
Posted by: lauren2010 | September 2, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse"

***Ike led the D-Day Invasion - Republican.***

"The abhorent and intolerant discourse of elected GOP officials hasn't hurt their chances, so I sincerely doubt a little passion by me won't hurt those I favor.
Posted by: lauren2010 | September 2, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse"

***If using facts and logical reasoning makes Republicans intolerant, then liberals have intelligence issues.***

"I know many Republicans. I've spent lots of time in the deep south. When people say they are voting for Republicans because of "common sense" it's code words for "voting white".
Posted by: lauren2010 | September 2, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse"

***I guess all the folks who voted for J.C. Watts (fmr Rep from OK - R), Ken Blackwell (fmr Ohio Sec of State - R), Mel Martinez (fmr Fla Senator - R), and Ben Nighthorse Campbell (fmr Colo Senator - R) didn't have 'common sense'. Sure.***

Posted by: lauren2010 | September 2, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse"

***Clinton signed NAFTA into law. FDR took the country into debt and a double-dip recession with the wreckless New Deal Programs. Wilson caused the depression of 1919-1920 (look it up). And besides, Clinton LIED UNDER OATH. It's called 'perjury'. As for prosecutions, didn't Nancy Pelosi call for those opposing the NYC mosque to be investigated???***

Posted by: cranston_swanfisk | September 2, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lauren2010 | September 2, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse"

Posted by: lauren2010 | September 2, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse"

***Ike led the D-Day Invasion - Republican.***

Posted by: lauren2010 | September 2, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse"

Posted by: lauren2010 | September 2, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse"

Posted by: lauren2010 | September 2, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse"

***Clinton signed NAFTA into law. FDR took the country into debt and a double-dip recession with the wreckless New Deal Programs. Wilson caused the depression of 1919-1920. And besides, Clinton LIED UNDER OATH. It's called 'perjury'. As for prosecutions, didn't Nancy Pelosi call for those opposing the NYC mosque to be investigated???***

Posted by: cranston_swanfisk | September 2, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

2011 and 2012 look to be rough years for Lauren with all those 'dangerous nihilists' running the show.

Hey, at least Progressives had two years.

Libertarians have had to watch an endless series of paternalists go through revolving doors.

"So go back to your anti-gvmt, anti-labor tirades and be blissfuly unawares that the GOP was the party that intentionally destroyed our economy in the name of later creating their low-tax, no-gvmt, libertarian utopia."

So wait, a 35% top tax rate plus 2.9% Medicare, Medicare part D, Iraq, Afghanistan, and total government spending at 50% of national income in 2010? How is this anything close to libertopia? And how would blowing up the economy under a Republican administration help us get any closer?

I'm at the point where I'd be happy if the government gave people enough money to be out of poverty, taxed us at one flat rate and outside of that performed pretty basic functions - even though such a large transfer of income isn't a very libertarian position.

Posted by: justin84 | September 2, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

"Hey, at least Progressives had two years."

Actually just 18 months, duing which time the economic bleeding was successfully triaged, and important progress was made on issues like reform of the financial system, health insurance, and student loans, to name but a few.

A reminder: all politics is local. We are yet to cross Labor Day. Once we do, every district's electorate will have to focus and decide whether that old reliable incumbent is somehow inferior to that unfamiliar challenger.

Races will be tighter than incumbents want, but many skilled, well-financed, and trusted incumbents will win, as they always do.

Democrats will certainly give up some seats, but rumors of a Little Big Horn scale massacre based upon the "generic ballot" are premature. Let's see the polls, race-by-race, in October, once the issues are joined in every district.

Posted by: Patrick_M | September 3, 2010 6:14 AM | Report abuse