Reconciliation

Recap: The Obama administration's pipe dreams; Paul Ryan's blue-sky plan for the economy; and the problem of invisible subsidies.

Elsewhere:

Just one link today: Joe Klein's dispatch from his road trip to talk with voters in different states. Rings truer than just about anything else I've read on the election.

On a slightly different note, tonight marks the eve of Yom Kippur, the Jewish day of atonement. In theory, Jews spends this time contemplating the way they've lived over the past year, and seeking forgiveness from those we've wronged.

Blogging is a fast medium, and it lends itself to cheap shots and unnecessary attacks and ungenerous readings of the people who disagree with you. Like lots of people, I try to guard against doing much of that, but I'm sure I've fallen short many times this year. So to anyone I've wronged, or dealt with unfairly or ungenerously, I'm sorry.

By Ezra Klein  |  September 17, 2010; 6:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Invisible spending
Next: Wonkbook: WH plans health reform push; Fed likely to delay; BP well dead

Comments

"I try to guard against doing much of that, but I'm sure I've fallen short many times this year."

Actually, you do very little of that. Just because you're wrong, doesn't mean you're petty. :)

Posted by: bgmma50 | September 17, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

That kind of blanket apology is worthless, and the Jewish service recognizes as much. You yourself must identify those you have wronged, if any, and you must know what the wrong was. I would say that "unnecessary attacks" and "ungenerous readings" are good descriptions of your dealings with the state of Israel.

Posted by: truck1 | September 17, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

The comment by 'truck1' may be right, but any time Ezra you are ready to accept a possibility of you misreading others; you are a good blogger. So best wishes for your good work.

Posted by: umesh409 | September 17, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

no recipe for honey cake?

Posted by: jkaren | September 18, 2010 2:18 AM | Report abuse

But, then again, your relations are not just with other writers and political actors, but with the larger world, which as a writer you are to document and whose improvement you are to advocate for; your work's fidelity to the truth is more important than whose work you read uncharitably or not. Don't drink too much of the Washington Post Bipartisan-Comity-Flavored Kool Aid.

Posted by: jacobh | September 18, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Your Yom Kippur sentiment was well intentioned and well said. Acknowledging that you do your best and sometimes fall short is better than most people ever do and is much appreciated from this corner.

Have a peaceful holiday.

Posted by: punchaxverulam | September 18, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Indeed, punchaxverulam. Have a good holiday, Ezra.

Posted by: MosBen | September 18, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Well, in the first place, I don't think such broad statements meet any known standard for atonement. The whole idea is to identify specific behaviors which you would not commit again, and then --if it can be done without doing greater harm --attempt to make amends for the behavior.

In the second place, your recent recommendation of Megan McArdle articles needs a lot of atonement. Her facts are never correct, and she is incapable of pursuing a an elementary chain of logic from A to Z. In addition, she appears to have not even the most minimal understanding of the basic principles of economics.

I liked you a lot better before you went to work for Kaplan. I hope the money's good.

Posted by: tc125231 | September 18, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

That is right. In the service wrongs done to God are distinguished from those done to other people. The service says that our general repentance and apology is enough for wrongs done to God, and for those, "this service atones." But, interestingly, the wrongs done to others require a higher standard of atonement. We have to see what we did, to whom, and attempt to make peace with that person. And don't we know this from our personal lives? It's never enough to say, IF I did anything that harmed, offended, etc., I'm sorry.

Posted by: truck1 | September 18, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

" It's never enough to say, IF I did anything that harmed, offended, etc., I'm sorry."

"if," implies that we may have hurt someone, and not even have known that it occurred. there are many such wounds that we all inflict, and sometimes, never even know it.
and it is always enough to say we are sorry, if it is done with authenticity and sincerity, from our hearts.
there are people who, for whatever reason, we will never see again. perhaps we never even knew their names....and so all we can do, is to ask forgiveness, in any way that we can, if it is from the heart, then we can only hope that "the words of our mouth will be acceptable."
and finally, i think it will be Hash-m who will judge the sincerity of our heart confessions, and not those who stand in judgment of us."

Posted by: jkaren | September 18, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Didn't you create a group of like minded leftist that's primary goal was to destroy good men and women's reputations? To help elect a completely unvetted and unqualified man to be President? You have a lot to be sorry for. I don't except your apology.

Posted by: RayGun_1 | September 18, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

PS: The fact that you still have a job at the WaPo only proves that the Journ-o-list is still alive.

Posted by: RayGun_1 | September 18, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Shana Tova and I hope you had an easy fast... which just ended.

Posted by: chrisgaun | September 18, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Ray-gun:

You used the word "except" incorrectly. You meant to use "accept."

Have a wonderful day!

Posted by: CarlosXL | September 19, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure Tim Russert feels better now.

Posted by: msoja | September 19, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse