This might be the most devastating ad of the election

And it's mostly a positive ad!

Nicely done, Brown campaign. And if you want a more substantive take on Brown, see this profile by John Judis.

By Ezra Klein  | October 25, 2010; 2:47 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The problem with charity
Next: The money problem

Comments

Wow. That rocks.

From what I can see Brown's campaign has simply run rings around hers -- far more nimble, creative and tough.

Given Whitman's massive fortune, and the general weakness of the Democratic brand this cycle, it was her race to lose. Looks like she's going to.

Posted by: Jasper999 | October 25, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

@Jasper: "it was her race to lose. Looks like she's going to."

Pat Caddell recently attacked her for spending too much money, essentially arguing that all the money in the world won't do you any good if you don't know how to run a campaign, and that's over-saturation can be as much of a problem as under-representation. Basically, he says she spent too much money, and over-saturated herself to the point it was counter-productive.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | October 25, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Reminds me of a philosophical question that haunted me in my youth: "Why are you hitting yourself? Why are you hitting yourself?"

-- MrJM

Posted by: MrJM | October 25, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Brown's ads have been great. But Fiorina's are better than Boxer's IMO and lots of good it's done her. I don't know how much these things matter in the end.

Posted by: bmull | October 25, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Fiorina has been getting killed with brutal HP-related ads.

Posted by: SteveCA1 | October 25, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

California may just have to elect Jerry Brown, experience some tough love from the refusal of the federal government to further enable their profligacy, and hit rock bottom. Go for it, California. Just know that you will be on your own.

Posted by: bgmma50 | October 25, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Btw...I can't imagine why you think that ad is devastating, Ezra.

Posted by: bgmma50 | October 25, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Not going to subscribe to TNR just to read the profile. Then again, I'm old enough to remember Brown's earlier administration. He was very much a fiscal conservative compared to the average Democrat -- and compared to his Republican predecessor, Ronald Reagan. His personal asceticism was legendary. (The latter, and his tendency to cast his ideas in moral terms, are effects of his thoroughly Jesuit education.) The contrast with spendthrift billionaire Meg couldn't be more stark.

Posted by: idlemind | October 25, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Nearly thirty years ago, I also went to California. Upon arrival, I knew it was going to be a wonderful place with the excellent weather and with the ever so plentiful bumper stickers that read, "Welcome to California, now go home."

A short time later, I realized what a great educational system California had built. For many young adults and “non-traditional” students, the entry way into a 4+ year college was the community college system. In contrast, it seems like Indiana has only within the last ten years or so recognized the value and potential of developing its community college system.

California was then and still is now amazing for its educational system and all of its diversity-people, businesses, agriculture, landscape, weather…It was a privilege to have lived there and watch the growth of the tech industry.

Although I had to leave California, it will be the only place I would ever proudly consider calling "home". I hope Jerry Brown is elected and helps restore the luster to a truly ‘Golden State.’

Posted by: Hoosier3 | October 26, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Isn't it enlightening that Republicans, who claim to be such fiscal hawks and budget cutters, spend so lavishly in elections. Is this a disconnect or what? Do you really trust someone to cut spending when they themselves spend $140 million vs. the opponent's $25 million in a campaign? I hope Whitman cannot buy this election. Go Jerry!!!

Posted by: citizen4truth1 | October 26, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Isn't it enlightening that Republicans, who claim to be such fiscal hawks and budget cutters, spend so lavishly in elections? Is this a disconnect or what? Do you really trust someone to cut spending when they themselves spend $140 million vs. the opponent's $25 million in a campaign? I hope Whitman cannot buy this election. Go Jerry!!!

Posted by: citizen4truth1 | October 26, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

People who can't see the supreme irony of Meg Whitman praising California when Jerry Brown was governor are cursed with a classic case of GOP reading comprehension disability.

And BTW, California is one of the few states that could actually go it alone. The real question is: can the rest of the country go without California?

Hopefully, the rest of the country will once again follow California's lead and stop falling for the GOP's jingoistic garbage.

Posted by: bdop4 | October 26, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

If California voters elect Jerry Brown, it will an act of economic suicide. It's the equivalent of selling everything you own, and buying lottery tickets with the money.

I don't know if Meg Whitman would be a good governor for a bankrupt state, but it's an absolute certainty that Jerry Brown would be a disaster!

Posted by: pilsener | October 26, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

"No no, I meant to say 40 years ago." LOL I love it!

I wish we had found something like that in DC to beat Vince Gray during the primaries.

Posted by: Steve4Change | October 26, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse