Posted at 10:20 AM ET, 12/17/2010

After Del.icio.us

By Ezra Klein

As a longtime user of the del.icio.us boomarking service, I'm very sad to hear that Yahoo is closing it down. But for users looking for another service they can use to clip and save bookmarks, I'd suggest Evernote, which I last gushed about here. And though there's no guarantee they won't eventually shut down, the fact that they just got $20 million in financing from Sequoia Capital suggests that Silicon Valley's smarter investors are pretty convinced of the service's longevity.

As for What It All Means, read Dan Gillmore's take.

By Ezra Klein  | December 17, 2010; 10:20 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama brand remains surprisingly strong
Next: Lunch Break

Comments

Have you tried InfoSelect?
I've been using it for the last 15 years.

Posted by: Tbug1 | December 17, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

webvan got a lot of money from smart investors, too.

Just because money is institutional doesn't make it smart.

(not to be read as a commentary on evernote)

Posted by: will12 | December 17, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Ezra, I just saw on Gawker that Delicious was being sold, not shut down.

That said, I am going to check out Evernote.

Posted by: lcrider1 | December 17, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Also worth checking out, Toodledo and Catch

Posted by: GreenDreams | December 17, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Another alternative for clipping and saving bookmarks - and importing your existing delicious bookmarks - is Springpad (http://springpadit.com).

Further, we'll be releasing an import tool early next week that will enable importing of tags and give the user the option to preserve public/private status from delicious.

(Disclosure: I'm a Springpad co-founder)

Posted by: jeffjaner | December 17, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Further, we'll be releasing an import tool early next week that will also support importing of tags and give the user the option to preserve public/private status from delicious.

(Disclosure: I'm a Springpad co-founder)

Posted by: jeffjaner | December 17, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

If you were starting from scratch, perhaps Evernote would be the right choice. But for anyone with bunches of links and/or tags, Evernote is NOT the solution (at least in its present state) -- and I say that as a long-time user of both services.

I jumped onto Google Reader after Bloglines announced it was going away, only to find a buyer a month later. This time, I'm not going to do anything rash; I've exported my links and will put all new links into a temp holding note.

I fully expect that with all the uproar, someone is either going to save/buy Delicious or one of its competitors (so far, I'm keeping my eye on pinboard, diigo, and springpad) will wind up being a reasonable alternative.

Posted by: bowseat93 | December 17, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Ezra,

We would love to have you gush about Symbaloo. Would you consider giving it a try? We have over 500k users worldwide, are currently developing an import function for delicious users and are the only touch compatible visual bookmarker with many exciting features explained here: http://bit.ly/i2ecgJ

~Daniela~