Posted at 3:49 PM ET, 01/26/2011

The case of the olive

By Ezra Klein

I take Dennis Kucinich's word that the unpitted olive in the sandwich he bought from the Longsworth Building cafeteria three years ago really has caused him a lot of dental damage, requiring expensive corrective procedures resulting in a lot of pain. But can $150,000 possibly be worth the bad publicity he's going to get from filing a lawsuit over an olive pit?

By Ezra Klein  | January 26, 2011; 3:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Perhaps new policy wasn't really the point of the State of the Union
Next: Where was Ryan's roadmap?

Comments

broken link -- you have an extra h at the beginning.

Posted by: Hopeful9 | January 26, 2011 3:53 PM | Report abuse

No doubt the olive pit broke a tooth (maybe even two, an upper and lower) and caused dental surgery. And I have no doubt that dental work is outrageously overpriced. A few years ago, I needed a crown ($2000), which turned into a root canal mid-way through (another $2,000), which went bad and caused me unbelievable pain for more than a week. At which point I had to go to an endodontist to have the root-canal redone ($2,000 more!). It cost $6,000 for a fairly ordinary procedure. My dental insurance cap is $1,500 per year.

But really, for a Congressperson to sue for "loss of enjoyment"? This is handing the Republicans a strong case for tort reform on a silver platter. I surrender. Give them their damned tort reform.

P.S. I did not sue my dentist for doing a botched root canal. He did (without my asking) take the $2,000 off my bill because he felt bad. I don't go to him anymore, however.

Posted by: JJenkins2 | January 26, 2011 4:54 PM | Report abuse

If Kucinich minded looking ridiculous, he wouldn't have run for President the way he did--or, perhaps, at all!

Posted by: MaineWoman | January 26, 2011 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MaineWoman | January 26, 2011 4:56 PM | Report abuse

after hearing this,
i would like to make a public apology to my daughter, for waking her up early one sunday morning, years ago, and trotting off with her, to a recreation center, to hear and support dennis kucinich for president.
because i believed he stood for something more than this.
yet, another appalling and outrageous action, from a member of congress.

on the bright/brighter/brightest side, i just purchased a copy of the magnificent children's book that president obama has just written....
"of thee i sing, written for his two daughters."

the book is so beautiful, so uplifting and inspiring. so beautifully written...and lovingly illustrated... i gave it as a gift to a very courageous and wonderful child in the homeless shelter that i volunteer in, for his birthday, because he loves barack obama...and because the words are the exact, exact, exact words that all children need to hear.
so if dennis kucinich has given you yet another death, by a thousand papercuts, have your hope and spirit restored, and buy this book by president obama, and give it to a child that you love, or a child who needs to hear a message of encouragement and hope.

Posted by: jkaren | January 26, 2011 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Okay, isn't he a vegan? I interned in the House the year I became a vegan, and there ain't no vegan sandwich in the Longworth cafeteria. Taco day, sure, but it'll suck. But that's about it, besides salad.

I think there should be a quick investigation into how he came by this sammie.

Posted by: punkiedrewster | January 26, 2011 5:51 PM | Report abuse

If your Dennis Kucinich, there is no such thing as bad pub.

Posted by: johnmarshall5446 | January 26, 2011 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Dennis Kucinich will no longer be a Congressman in 2013. He will not be running for re-election in 2012 as his district is going to be dissolved.

So, no problem really.

Posted by: krazen1211 | January 26, 2011 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Dennis Kucinich is the left's version of James Inhofe.

So yes.

Posted by: pj_camp | January 26, 2011 7:59 PM | Report abuse

I love Dennis, but he does not have a case. An olive pit, a cherry pit, a salmon bone all occur in olives, cherries and salmon. If he'd bitten down on a pebble or other foreign object not normally part of the food being eaten but introduced through careless food handling, he'd have a valid complaint.

Posted by: Maezeppa | January 26, 2011 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I guess that Dennis is not as "crazy" as everyone thinks he is.

Posted by: nmauriello | January 27, 2011 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I guess that Dennis is not as "crazy" as everyone thinks he is.

Posted by: nmauriello | January 27, 2011 9:45 AM | Report abuse