Posted at 2:03 PM ET, 10/21/2008

Obama Scares Seniors

By Michael Dobbs

Anti-McCain Medicare ad.

"How would your Golden Years turn out under John McCain? His healthcare plan would cut Medicare by $800 billion. That means a 22% cut in benefits. Higher premiums and co-pays. More expensive prescription drugs. Nursing home care could suffer. After a lifetime of work, seniors' healthcare shouldn't be a gamble. Senator McCain's plan? It's not the change we need."
--Obama "Your Golden Years" ad.

Barack Obama has been telling seniors that their hard-won Medicare benefits are at risk if his rival wins the election. The message has been hammered home in a series of speeches and television ads, including the one shown above, set against the backdrop of spinning lottery balls. Is it true, as Obama claims, that the Republican presidential candidate is planning to "gamble" with Medicare benefits?

The Facts

The Obama claim rests primarily on a Wall Street Journal interview with McCain's top economic adviser, Douglas Holtz-Eakin, that was published on October 6. Holtz-Eakin told the Journal that McCain would pay for his health plan "in part" by looking for "savings" in Medicare and Medicaid. He was vague about where the savings would come from, other than talking about the need to cut fraud and waste in the programs for the elderly, the handicapped and the poor.

"It's about giving [Medicare and Medicaid recipients] the benefit package that has been promised to them by law at lower cost," Holtz-Eakin told the newspaper.

In other words, contrary to the claim in the Obama ad, he was specifically promising not to "cut benefits," but to provide the promised benefits at a lower cost. The Obama ad misleadingly cites the Wall Street Journal interview as the source for the alarming "22% cut in benefits".

How did the Obama campaign come up with the $800 billion cut in Medicare claim (described in another Obama ad as a $882 billion cut)? Answer: some back-of-the-envelope calculations by a left-wing thinktank, the Center for American Progress.

The Democrat-leaning thinktank starts with the assumption that McCain will need to save around $1.3 trillion over 10 years in order to pay for his health care plan. (This is based on an analysis by the independent Tax Policy Center, available here, which has not been challenged by the McCain campaign.) The Arizona senator has promised to give Americans a $2,500 refundable tax credit to be spent on health care in exchange for taxing the health benefits they receive from their employer.

It may be that McCain is wildly optimistic in believing that he can find sufficient savings in Medicare and Medicaid to pay for his promised refundable health care tax credit. But that criticism also applies to Obama who is relying on similar cost cuts to fund his health care plan. The Illinois senator says that a shift to electronic health records will generate savings of around $120 billion a year, a claim termed "wishful thinking" by many independent experts.

The Pinocchio Test

John McCain has failed to provide a convincing explanation for how he will fund his health care plan. But it is a huge stretch for the Obama campaign to argue that the McCain plan will inevitably result in an $800 billion (or $880 billion) cut in Medicare programs over 10 years, or a "22 percent cut" in benefits paid to American seniors. McCain's top economics adviser has specifically promised not to cut benefits.

(About our rating scale.)

By Michael Dobbs  | October 21, 2008; 2:03 PM ET
Categories:  3 Pinocchios, Barack Obama, Candidate Watch, Health
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fighting for Joe the Plumber
Next: Just a Four-Letter Word?

Comments

Is it not incumbent upon Senator McCain to at least take a ballpark stab at a plausible funding mechanism for his "paid for" plan before others are 3-pinnocchio'd for taking him at his word it's paid for? Perhaps McCain's "paid for" claim itself merits some "fact checking".

Posted by: zukermand | October 21, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

McCain also claimed he'd balance the budget in 4 years at that debate. Do we all get ponies, too?

Posted by: zukermand | October 21, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

The stampede of Obama apologists will be here momentarily to write off his fallacious scare tactics. No doubt they'll completely avoid any difficult wrestling with the cognitive dissonance created the next time they rant at KOS about Republican "fear-mongering."

Posted by: Here they come | October 21, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Dobbs:

Too little, too late.

Posted by: JakeD | October 21, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

McCain's intentions do not need to appear in a published plan. His message clearly portrays the future of Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are extremely uncertain in his administration. Severe cuts are definitely implied. Also, he hasn't even tried to prove Obama's argument is false. He just attacks Obama for making these statements. Where does McCain prove that these programs will be protected from cuts or drastically changed from the current plans?

Posted by: Truth Maverick | October 21, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

"John McCain has failed to provide a convincing explanation for how he will fund his health care plan... McCain's top economics adviser has specifically promised not to cut benefits"
=================

He claims his credit is funded, his economics advisor denies benefit cuts. One of these claims must be false. It seems an ideal job for a WaPo "Fact Checker" to determine which.

Posted by: zukermand | October 21, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

"Obama Scares Seniors"
===========

Use of "Scares" is out of line. The presumption is inappropriate for this venue.

Posted by: zukermand | October 21, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

As since most seniors were seniors in HS when John McCain ran for school president, I can understand why they feel more comfortable with him. He promised them donuts and cake for the school lunch and got it.

Posted by: muffler | October 21, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I am an Obama supporter, but a realist. This man is still a politician. It is nice to see an article that closely looks at the words of BOTH candidates. Obama's campaign has not sunk to the depths of McCain's but the fliers my wife has been getting (an undecided Libertarian) from the Obama camp have had a definite Rovian feel to them, especially when it comes to McCain's health care plans.

Good for you Dobbs.

Posted by: Josh in PA | October 21, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

my sixty years as a citizen of this country, I have never been more disgusted with the ignorance of the American people than I am at this point in time.

Everything I was taught with regards to our country's history, the intent of our founding fathers, and the presumed "democratic" philosophy of this nation as a people, has been reduced to allowing the most extreme left wing liberal and socialist philosophy of Obama prevail in this election. This man does not stand for "democracy" as I have been taught, but rather, a wholesale buy out of the white house.

This man is not only dangerous to our way of life, but he is a seducer and deceiver! Fear drives the voters of this nation and he plays upon those fears to spin his elaborate and deceptive tale of "change".

So many people in this country are falling for this spin doctor who desires power at the cost of the American freedoms many are giving up in support of this man of lies and deception.

Reminds me of Esau who sold his birth right for a bowl of pottage. Many of you who support Obama are selling your freedoms for a promise of financial benefit to your dwindling purses! How utterly blind can you people be?

As for me, I have no sense of patriotism towards this "government of fools" any more, not one bit. I count my years in the military, the death of valiant men and women in the fields of Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, and as a law enforcement officer, as an excercise in futility. I love my country, but I despise the ignorance of so many who are blind to the truth abouth this jackal who will pick over the bones of this once great nation.

Ignorant men are surrendering all that this nation once stood for in exchange for BIG BROTHERS widespread control of our individual freedoms. There is no doubt in my mind that this nation will fall and all that will remain is smaoke and ash. In voting for Obama, you seal your fates, as sure as the sun will rise in the east.

Posted by: Jordan | October 21, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

zukermand

You should be afraid, very afraid! This man should utterly scare the warts off your butt.

You want more "big brother" ruling over you, for thats' what you are saying by supporting this jackal.

I was raised with a funadamental beleif in the Holy Bible, as many of you. I have spent much of my life seeing the blessings of God poured out upon this nation and it's people, witnessed the fulfilment of prophesy time and time again.

Now I see a charismatic jackal in sheeps clothing, openly deceive many, exhibit the nature of the "anti-christ" discussed at leanth in the Holy Scriptures, and the world cry's out for him to lead them. But many who follow this false leader are blind. For they are dead men, just dry bones, that think they are laive, but are yet dead.

The world crys out for a leader to lead them, solve their problems, and fix what ailes it, but they exchange liberty for servitude. They surrender their freedoms for the promise of bread. How many times will you beleive in the lies just to find that you have been deceived time and time again by leaders who serve the "prince of darkness" of this world.

You blindly trust in the arm of flesh, but in time, it will surely turn and rend you. I do not oppose Obama because he promises us good fortune and "change". I oppose him because he serves his father Satan! I would rather starve or live in poverty then support this jackal!

Posted by: Jordan | October 21, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

leanth = length

laive = alive

Posted by: JakeD | October 21, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Jordan:

Are you saying that McCain doesn't scare you? The McCarthy-esque ideas of his campaign that we need to be "purged" of anti-Americanism? His lies about Obama being somehow connected to terrorists, his lies about Obama wanting to socialize America, etc? How about the shouting at the rallies, "Kill him" etc? The fact that he repeats over and over again that he knows how to solve all the problems we face, and showing us precious few concrete plans? The fact that he won't show his health records for more than three hours, with no photocopying? The fact that he won't let his choice for VEEP talk on her own? I could go on and on.

I have the opposite take to you. In my 60 years as a citizen, I have actually never been prouder of my fellow citizens as I am this election cycle. My fellow citizens are finally looking past the smears and the politics of division, past the color of skin and a "funny name." My fellow citizens are (hopefully) deciding that intelligence and eloquence and calmness and steadfastness are actually important. Obama is clearly so at home in his own skin and his domestic and foreign policies will reflect that, and my fellow citizens value this.

Your statement that those of us who follow him are "dead men" is just plain stupid. I follow him because he has a very grounded moral center, unlike McCain. I know I won't always agree with Obama, nor will I agree with every decision he makes. But I know that the America I grew up in is disappearing fast, and Obama has the goodness and the moral certitude to take us in the right direction. With Obama we have a chance to restore our country. With McCain we have nothing but continued disintegration.

Posted by: engine for change | October 21, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

McCain's hit squad scares me more than anything. They'd be the power behind this guy and the VP.
Obama doesn't scare me one little bit.

Posted by: BMS | October 21, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

I am a former Hillary Clinton supporter and a die-hard Democrat for many years. With the Presidential campaign and all the crap that is going on with Obama’s relation to Rev. Wright, Bill Ayes, campaign funds coming from overseas, voter fraud referencing ACORN, his failure to produce his birth certificate, distribution of wealth which will ultimately result in socialism, attacks on “Joe the Plummer” and many other questionable issues. This election should not be weighed on the amount of money one can raise in campaign funds but on a candidates’ character and record.

Senator Obama has evaded all the real issues and has not shown his patriotism. I am disgusted with the Democrats and changed my affiliation to Independent and will vote for John McCain, a true hero, a Statesman.

Just for your information, many Hillary supporters I know have changed their affiliations and will vote for John McCain as well.

May God watch over us to make the right decision on the most important presidency of the century?

Fran
www.CharlotteFrontandCenter.com

Posted by: FranA | October 21, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Truth is Obama's plan includes higher Medicare premiums for Seniors and those like me receiving Social Security Disability Insurance. By the way many military veterans like me get SSDI. I am not a senior by any stretch of the mind and Obama scares me...

Posted by: Nancy Armstrong | October 21, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Fran, with all due respect, I think you are full of crap.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 21, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Jordan, please.

FranA, with all due respect, I think you are full of crap.

Posted by: zukermand | October 21, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Now, if this isn't negative campaigning what is? Why isn't anyone asking him about all the negativity he and Biden are brewing up at all over the country. There are quite a few no-so-friendly folks there too. It's unbelievable to me that if someone asks a question of Obama it's negative but Obama can use scare tactics about McCain and it's perfectly acceptable. I think I've seen it all!

Posted by: Kodi | October 21, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

I AM RETIRED AND I WONDER WHY OLD McCAIN, age 72 WITH A RICH WIFE HAS NOT RETIRED YEARS AGO. AH, HE SAYS COUNTRY FRIST. BULL, HE WANTS TO BE PRESIDENT IN THE WORST WAY FOR THE WORST REASONS. HE DOES NOT TELL THE REAL TRUTH BUT SMOKE SCREEN STATEMENTS. LOOK AT HIS PICK OF A VICE PRESIDENT OF WHAT SHE SAID TODAY TO A THIRD GRADE CLASS ON THE DUTIES OF A VICE PRESIDENT. WOW!! AND SHE BE PRESIDENT OF OLD McCAIN DID NOT FINISH THE TERM WITH TOD HANG AROUND THE WHITE HOUSE HELPING OUT. IS McCAIN ALL HOME? IF HE WINS, HANG ON FOR A RUFF RIDE. DO VOTE.

Posted by: PATRICK HENRY | October 22, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

The Center for American Progress Action Fund (CAPAF) just released a report referencing the conclusion by its analysts that John McCain's health care plan of 2007 would "result in a massive tax increase on the middle class."

The latest version from the McCain campaign would tax health care benefits to pay for the proposed $5,000 credit. What Governor Sarah Palin has called a government "budget neutral" move [using fuzzy math no doubt] would actually, according to CAPAF, result in "either a tax increase of $1,100 on the average family or a $1.3 trillion budget shortfall."

McCain advisor Douglas Holtz-Eakin has stated publicly that a President McCain would rely on major reductions to Medicare and Medicaid to cover the shortfall to the budget. According to CAPAF analysts, this newfound funding plan wouldn't "keep up with medical inflation and enrollment rates" and "would require McCain to cut benefits, eligibility or both." And another way for the federal government to short-pay the programs it enacts.

This is just another Republican gambit to reward corporate pals. Like the Bush administration's prescription drug "fix" passed by Congress, this newest proposal would cost the American people more and more money while guaranteeing higher and higher corporate profits.

This is the latest attack in the class warfare strategy put into place by the neoconservatives when George W. Bush took office in January, 2001.

It will take an act of Congress to replace the corrupt, bankrupt health care system we currently suffer under, and a new president to create a political consensus about how to create a single payer system that provides quality health care to every American for less money. Every other major nation has one, so what is keeping this country from reforming its health care system?

Posted by: Jonathan R. Seaver | October 22, 2008 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Unless this country is under a dictatorship, neither McCain, nor Obama can make claim to any proposed plan becoming a factual happening.

There are 533 other members of Congress that run the Legislative branch, the branch that makes the laws.

The responsibility of the President is to lead the Executive branch, to carry out the laws created by Congress and also as Commander in Chief of the military. Nothing more and nothing less; not to legislate, not to judicate, but to carry out the laws of the land and be held accountable for same.

By the same rules under our Constitution, the 533 members of Congress need to be made accountable for their responsibility and not allowed to blame any failure on the residing administration that occupies the White House.

This dangerous path of accepting, if not but subliminal, the President as being responsible for everything; remains as the same path that put the Hilter's and Stalin's in power.

If Obama or McCain can do all they are promising, then the remaining 533 members of Congress remain, as usual, asleep at the wheel... as so are we, by allowing same to continue.

Posted by: David Joseph | October 22, 2008 1:17 AM | Report abuse

SHOW ME THE MONEY, BABY!

McCain's not being honest about how he'll find the money for his plans, especially since apparently taxing those who earn the most is tantamount to declaring us the New USSR.

Does he believe that he can just spend, spend, spend and not tax or cut anywhere? If he does I've got a bridge to sell him in Ketchikan, Alaska, to borrow the phrase.

Posted by: Kaz | October 22, 2008 1:24 AM | Report abuse

I am a senior and I will be voting for Barack Obama and Joe Biden. Yes indeed!

Posted by: lula | October 22, 2008 2:06 AM | Report abuse

We all know that Social Security and Medicare are forms of socialism.

So, who do you think is hating on the programs?

Posted by: bill from OH | October 22, 2008 4:53 AM | Report abuse

The problem with seniors, is simple. They come from a time, where you could run a town with no more than a 5th grade education!

Today we have college graduates who cannot get a job at McDonalds!

Seniors cannot be expected to know anything about todays problems. Maybe if you find a senior with a college degree, you might find a capacity to comprehend todays problems.

Why don't you just call this article, stupid people are scared of Obama. Because in all realness, the people you are talking about in this article probably has an average education level comparible to my kids!

Posted by: vb | October 22, 2008 4:54 AM | Report abuse

I'm old and Sen. Obama does not scare me. But catching some weird moose STD from one of the dirty Palin girls does scare me.

Posted by: JakeD | October 22, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

FranA --- there are some people who make a habit of supporting losers. So be happy with your decision.

Today Obama's lead increased another point (now in double digits). You should know Americans are generally pretty smart, so expect that lead to increase as we all come to know and respect the wisdom, astuteness and strong family values of both Obama and Biden.

America will not be tricked by the nasty mud-slinging McCain Campaign. Obama supporters began placing a little box for placing between $1 and $10 everytime we read or receive anything negative from McCain/Palin - including those robo calls --- so keep up the negatives - we've learned how to combat them and it's working!

Posted by: Maria | October 22, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

And by the way Mr. Dobbs - Your headline "Obama Scares Seniors" won $20.00 for Mr. Obama's campaign!

Obama/Biden '08

Posted by: Maria | October 22, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

AARP members here-My husband and I aren't scared by Obama. We are scared of the Republicans who have run an increasingly divisive, racist campaign. But not to worry, we will be on Pennsylvania Avenue for President Obama's inauguration in January.

Posted by: Silver Spring Mom | October 22, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Jordan
So starve and live a life of poverty- under this current administration ,more people are. And your biblical references don't make sense(and I know the Bible- I just don't quote it foolishly)

FranA- you were a lifelong Democrat like I am Barbara Bush. Any Hillary supporters who turned to McCain(few, very few) turned back after Palin became the Vp nominee. Try out some new lies we haven't heard, ok?

Posted by: Andrea | October 22, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I am ashamed of the republican party feeding bad ideals into the american
people. (JUST BE HONEST) Is this the
only way republicans win. I am totally
ashamed to have witness this in the USA.
We ALL need to come together as americans.
Talk about real issues. I am 52 white american and Obama does not scare me. I think McCain is running on a half wheel.
HE needs to go back to day job as Cotton
on KING OF THE HILL.

Posted by: cjsk | October 22, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Why do you think Obama wanted to use donations for his campaigne rather then what is given to them from the government? Its because he could hide the money he is receiving from the Middle East and if you don't believe me look it up. As for Biden saying yesterday that within the first six month of Obama Presidency there will be an attack either on us or one of our allies. First of all Obama isn't the President yet and secondly what the hell is he talking about, is there something that their not telling us? Watch out because other countries see Obama as a weak leader and they will take advantage of that.

Posted by: Jacko | October 22, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jacko | October 22, 2008 10:07 AM

Rep. Bachman, is that you? Fooled into spouting crazy lies again, huh. Yeah, it's tough to know what to say when you have sh*t for brains. Damn "gotcha" media and websites, with their accuracy and fairness.

Posted by: JakeD | October 22, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I am tired of hearing that greed and deregulation alone are the cause of financial meltdown.
On the analysis and possible role of dem. presidential and congressional candidates on the root cause of the current economic turmoil, read the following article in the Evening bulletin:

Posted by: austin b | October 22, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

austin b:

I've never heard anyone claim that greed and deregulation ALONE caused the crisis. The rest of your post is gibberish, so I will not be reading the claptrap you posted.

Obama/Biden 2008

Posted by: JakeD | October 22, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

OBAMA CAN SUCK MY BIG BEARDED CLAM!!!!!!

GO McCain

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I am with Anonymous!! Go McCain!!

You people really need to watch the news because Biden basically said yesterday that if Obama is President that there will be a war of some kind that will infect America. Wow, he most know something we don't and it will be because Obama is weak when it comes to big decisions.

Posted by: Jacko | October 22, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Get an education of our government people because it wasn't just the Republicans who put us in this mess. Our Congress are the ones who make decisions and the majority are Democrats who have greater power to change things, not our current President. If Obama wins that means no matter what the Democrats can push any agenda they want through the the house and that really scares me. Socialism will rule and people will have no say in what should be done. Obama is full of lies and if he is President he will abuse his power beyond what President Bush has done.

Posted by: James | October 22, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Obama's other grandmother is still rotting in absolute poverty living off of 1$ per month. Michelles last dress could buy his black granny 20 years worth of her current living. Michelles last meal could pay for 3 years of Obama's black granny in Kenya.

Obama's black brother in Kenya is also living in a different shack also living off of about 1$ per month.

Ah, the kindhearted nature of Obama is just stunning.

I kind of figured though that when the real Messiah showed up that he would be a bit more kind and a bit less of a self-promoting blowhard that Obama proves to be.

Jesus, near death, was thinking of his mother, and asked one of his followers to please take care of his mother as though she were his own mother. Jesus motioning his mother to the follower stated, Mother, behold thy son. Then motioning to his follower, he stated, Behold thy mother. Jesus, even near death thought of others first.

Obama, behold thy grandmother, living in absolute poverty. Ah, I dont have the time, I have some personal glory to obtain to.

Obama, behold thy brother, living off of just a few dollars. Ah, I would like to. Maybe I could raise the taxes to help pay for him when I get around to it.

Records show that McCain gave 1800 percent more to charity than did Obama from his own personal funds.

Obama, Agent for Change.

Posted by: KMichaels | October 22, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Jonathin R Deceiver writes: "McCain advisor Douglas Holtz-Eakin has stated publicly that a President McCain would rely on major reductions to Medicare and Medicaid to cover the shortfall to the budget."

Actually, he said no such thing. He promised that no Medicare and Medicaid cuts would be made and that all promised benefits would be delivered under McCain. He did state that government waste in Medicare and Medicaid would be looked into. But that the cost to the recepients for some benefits would be lower.

Jonathin, like most Obamabots are either gullible suckers, taken in by Obama lies or downright liars themselves.

Obama has placed his hope to win on these few things

1) The MSM being in the tank for Obama, willing to write hit pieces on the opposition and fluff pieces on Obama.

2) His smooth talking lies being readily believed by misinformed people like Jonathin there.

3) Greedy would-be socialist Obamabots that are ok morally with redistribution of wealth.

4) That his strictly socialist and radical past and voting pattern would not be made public.

Posted by: KMichaels | October 22, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Obama scares me all right, but not about McCain's plan. He scares me because he hasn't got a clue how he's going to pay for all the pie in the sky he's promising everybody. Realizing that Medicare and Medicaid are government programs, you can bet your bottom dollar there are plenty of savings to be had without disenfranchising seniors of their health care. Obama is the consummate politician but not much else.

Posted by: Lily | October 22, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand how you reach the conclusion that Obama is wrong on this. According to the WSJ on Oct 6:

John McCain would pay for his health plan with major reductions to Medicare and Medicaid, a top aide said, in a move that independent analysts estimate could result in cuts of $1.3 trillion over 10 years to the government programs.

and

But Douglas Holtz-Eakin, Sen. McCain's senior policy adviser, said Sunday that the campaign has always planned to fund the tax credits, in part, with savings from Medicare and Medicaid.

Posted by: Sandy | October 22, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Both campaigns have misled, stretched the truth, and invoked Chicken Little-esque scenarios in order to play to our fears.

I think it's funny that most of you are complaining about inaccuracies and lack of substance in campaigns, but then promptly follow up with irrelevant "facts" of your own that serve more to show whose Kool-aid you drank rather than any independent thought.

Even if McCain makes a Phoenix-like move and gets elected, does his health care plan really matter? Anyone think that a House with a supermajority of Democrats would approve it? Or, if by some miracle it got through the house, would a Senate with 58 seats held by Democrats approve it? His health care plan could be the greatest thing since individually wrapped slices of cheese (and it's not) and it still would not get through Congress in anything approaching its campaign form. McCain's health care plan is a non-issue because it has too many problems for a Democratic Congress to ever pass it. If the Congress were Republican, you might have something to worry about. But Congress won't be Republican for quite some time.

The real issue in this campaign is who do you want at the helm with a decidedly one-sided and nearly filibuster-proof Congress?

If McCain gets elected, many of his plans will have to be adjusted to compromise with the Democratic Congress. If you support McCain, guess what? You won't get many of the things he promises, at least not to the degree that he promises them. If you don't support McCain, guess what? Congress will moderate your concerns.

If Obama gets elected, he faces a choice:

1. Live up to the Conservative's fears of an uber-liberal who wants to drown the nation in Socialism - and he has an emboldened Congress that would allow him to do just that. (Note: I'm making no claim as to whether this is BAD; just that the Conservatives and those who hope for a balanced budget someday wouldn't like it much.)

2. Live up to his campaign persona of a political/racial/social healer to moderate a Democratic Congress' desire to overreach their new-found arms. If this is what you think will happen, guess what? Just like with McCain, he would have to moderate many of his campaign promises as well. This is likely to be more difficult for Obama than McCain. It's always harder to stand up to your own crowd; it's easy to stand up to your adversaries.

It's one of the two.

So the choice in President really comes down to a moderated McCain on one side, and your opinion of which road Obama will take on the other.

Everything else is just noise.

Posted by: Let's Get A Clue | October 22, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm so sick of these people with their "I've been a life-long Democrate but..." Or I was a Hillary supporter but..."

BS

I could just as easily write that I've been a life-long Republican but John McCain has shown he does not have the temperment or the honor to be President. Just look at his selection of Sarah Palin. I will vote for the Democrat for the first time in my life."

Posted by: Sandy | October 22, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

''As Putin rears his head and comes into the airspace of the United States''
Palin the ''Maverick'' grabs her shotgun....If she and McCain begin to spiral downward in the polls....as they will.......The rich and powerful may very likely create a major international military incident.....To allow John McCain to come to the rescue..........

Republican or Democrat....
You will feel a cold chill running down your spine....as McCain and
Palin assume control of the nuclear trigger.

Posted by: rod hemeon | October 22, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Why should we be surprised by Obama's stretching the truth? He has continually avoided, misled and outright lied about hius programs, his opponent, his associations and has gone to great lengths to hide his biography. All you need to do is read his books, written before he was running for president, to discover his cor beliefs.

Posted by: Pete | October 22, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I was raised devout orthodox Republican, but I am not crazy and I have basic math skills. We cannot afford to vote for McCain-Palin.

Praise God, we have astonishingly fabulous health insurance from my husband's employer. If John McCain is elected we will suddenly be paying taxes on $30-50K a year the company pays for our heart & diabetes complications. That pushes our income into the 28% bracket and generates a huge additional tax liability of $8,400-14,000.

McCain's little $ 5,000 tax credit will not solve the problem. $3,400-9,000 additional tax burden is out of our reach because we just don't have that kind of money. Good as our insurance is, we still have hefty co-pays and they are going up, up, up next year.

We'd probably have to declare bankruptcy. We could go from homeowners with a nice 2 bedroom cottage and a modest mortgage to sleeping in the car with our little dog.

We have been among the luckiest of the lucky. I am ashamed that it took our ox getting gored to make us realize we have voted wrong. McCain would finish us off. We may be in McCain's demographic, but we're not completely stupid.

Signed, New Obama Democrats

Posted by: housewife in phoenix | October 22, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Dear housewife in phoenix,

Congratulations on drinking the Obama Kool-aid and demonstrating your preference for campaign rhetoric (McCain taxes health benefits OMG!) over the actual stated plan of the candidate. Have you actually read McCain's plan, by the way?

The only tax in McCain's plan is a tax on the $5,000 credit, exactly like the tax on social security benefits or any other government disbursement. McCain's plan does NOT tax existing benefits. It ONLY taxes the $5,000 credit.

This does naturally lead to the question of why would tax be applied to the $5,000 at all . . . but needless to say, your additional tax liability is ONLY $5,000 x your tax rate - assuming you chose to accept the credit. The plan allows you to refuse the credit if you so choose, so in that case, your additional tax liability is zero.

Regardless, if you accept the full credit and your tax rate is 25%, your additional tax obligation is $1,250. In other words, you have a net gain of $3,750.

Here's a radical idea. Let's all go to the campaign websites and actually READ the candidates' plans before concluding the Apocalypse is upon us.

Posted by: Let's Get A Clue | October 22, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Democrats for John McCain and Sarah Palin in 2008

Posted by: Cynthia | October 22, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

engine for change (reply)

Allow me to say that I did not state that I am in support of McCain. That was, unfortunately, a conclusion which you arrived at on your own!

The reasons which have influenced my beleif that Obama is a jackal in sheeps clothing are many and they unequivocably establish his intent. (I list but a few)

1) He opposed (twice) the "Child Protection Act."
2) He supports "partial birth abortion" and has never voted against any abortion legislation. Human life means nothing to this man.
3) He favors legitimizing homosexual unions
4) He claims to be a "christian" which is a lie! For if he were, he would not embrace these philosophies of death.
5) He is a muslim! Even though his lips say otherwise, he is a follower of Islam, born into it, raised in it, and beleives in it! He could not become president if he declared it. Documented proof has spread through the internet with regards to his ties with and support by prominent radical Islamic leaders. Louis Farrakan declared that Obama is their "messiah".

Posted by: Jordan | October 22, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Dear Let's Get A Clue,

Could you recommend us one insurance company that allows us to purchase a wholesome medical insurance at $3.750? By the way, that policy should be equal to those held by Congressmen in terms of quality.

Posted by: No More Clue Necessary | October 22, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Ah. It appears as if the Obama Kool-aid drinkers are now battling the McCain Kool-aid drinkers for the title of Most Widely Believed Yet Wholly Inaccurate Rhetoric.

Because we ALL know that if a Muslim group supports you that you MUST be a Muslim.

And we wonder why Congress is filled with idiots.

Posted by: Let's Get A Clue | October 22, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

To No More Clues Necessary:

Note that in my first post, I stated that McCain's health care plan was unwise and problematic. I don't support his plan at all (nor do I support Obama's).

My issue is that the public at large chooses to accept the misleading statements of BOTH campaigns rather than make decisions based on facts.

Posted by: Let's Get A Clue | October 22, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

McCain makes the following statement in his plan discussing balancing the budget: "In the long-term, the only way to keep the budget balanced is successful reform of the large spending pressures in Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid." I don't think you can assign a number to it, but there's no doubt that he intends to cut spending in these areas.

Posted by: Ron | October 22, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Also, seniors are scared of Obama because they think he's a terrorist, like so many Republican ads imply.

Posted by: Ron | October 22, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

To Ron,

Yep. Keep in mind that cutting SPENDING does not necessarily mean cutting BENEFITS.

However, I agree that simply making the agencies more efficient will not provide enough of a reduction in spending. At some point, we will have to choose between a balanced budget and SS/Medicare/Medicaid benefits.

For this to be a legitimate reason to vote for one candidate over the other, one candidate should have a better way of addressing this.

McCain's plan does not sufficiently address this. The question I ask the Obama supporters is:

Explain how OBAMA addresses this, eh?

Neither candidate has suggested a way to resolve the problem of increasing pressures on benefits vs. balanced budgets. Independent reviews of both plans put the increase in deficit spending (for BOTH plans) at approximately $400B.

So for me, anyway, it's a non-issue as far as voting is concerned. Neither candidate has a satisfactory answer, and both of their plans increase the deficit by about the same amount.

Posted by: Let's Get A Clue | October 22, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

To Ron,

And Obama supporters are scared of McCain because they think he's a fascist and a racist, like so many commentators (here's looking at you, Keith Olbermann) and pundits imply.

Tit-for-tat, no?

Posted by: Let's Get A Clue | October 22, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone absolutely prove that Obama isn't a terrorist? That is one of their goals in life and that is to have someone of their kind in a power position here in America. Look it up sometime and see what the terrorist have written up as goals to bring down us infedels. Obama will open our borders because he feels everyone should share the wealth, but most will steal it rather then work for it.

Posted by: Jacko | October 22, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Wacko Jacko joins the Kool-aid express!

By the way, Jacko, can you absolutely prove that you're not Karl Rove in disguise?

Posted by: Let's Get A Clue | October 22, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

VB, you should be ashamed of yourself. There are many "seniors" whom have given you the the freedom to write this ridiculous comment. Country First...keep the change. One day you too will be a senior...Without National Security nothing else matters...experience supercedes all talk.

Posted by: proud military mom | October 22, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey Not a Clue, just yesterday Biden said that when Obama because President that within 6 months there will be termoil with another country and that we should stand by Obama when this happens. First of all how does Biden know this and secondly what is it that Obama isn't telling us. All I hear from Obama is that he promises to fix all our problems and that we should share our wealth amongst each other even though most of us live paycheck to paycheck. What he is saying is that he will take our money and give it to people who don't want to work and illegal immigrants who he feels has a right to be here. Obama doesn't even help his own family out so what would make you think he wants to help us out.

Posted by: Jacko | October 22, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Jacko, ol' buddy,

If you haven't figured it out by yet, I'm not voting for Obama. I'm voting for McCain.

But what I can't stand is the ammunition some McCain supporters give the Democrats for casting conservatives as a bunch of hypocritical, violent, gun-toting racists. And to be quite honest, your comments do exactly that.

Since when does Obama have to absolutely prove he's NOT a terrorist? What sense does that make? That's exactly like saying McCain hasn't absolutely PROVED he's not a closet member of the fascist secret police because he has had past interactions with G. Gordon Liddy.

As far as your redistribution of wealth argument goes, unless folks who make $250,000 and up a year are living "paycheck to paycheck", you make about as much sense as a purple dolphin flying a kite - and let me be the first to tell you - that doesn't make much sense at all.

But instead of having real reasons to vote for someone, Americans seem hell-bent on using shallow and inaccurate rhetoric to make their choice.

Posted by: Let's Get A Clue | October 22, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Yo, Let's Get a Clue:

Let's Get Reading Glasses. Go to the McCain- Palin website. You don't pay taxes on the $5000 tax credit. You pay taxes on employer provided health insurance. My husband's company is self-funded. Every dime of our health care is employer provided.

Read the words on the website: "if you or your family is in the 28% bracket with an income of $180,000, you could receive employer provided health care up to almost $18,000 with no increase in taxes."

ALMOST $18,000? Let's hope they mean $17,999.99.

No one but the blind drunk can fail to conclude that those receiving MORE than "almost $18,000" would no longer enjoy the protection that $5000 tax credit provides.

We would owe all taxes above that amount.

Period.

Discretionary spending at our house goes for $635 of monthly premiums and co-pays. There is nothing left for another $283.34-746.67 a month to send to the feds and another hundred or so to the state.

Even more enticing: if we lose our health care, not unthinkable in today's economic climate, we the Uninsurable would be at the mercy of our state's largess. Again, see McCain's website. In Arizona, home of the most tax-phobic citizens in the galaxy, that "Guaranteed Access Plan" would likely consist of:

2 band-aids
2 aspirin
1 10% off coupon to the local doc-in-a-box
1 lovely prayer card imploring St.Jude's intercession.

Like I said before, I am sorry I was inattentive and unempathetic. My (really, really) Bad.

For the past 7 weeks we have had increasingly grave misgivings about voting to make it possible for Sarah Palin potentially to ascend to the Oval Office. We, as a matter of conscience, were already prepared to choose not to vote.

Then our sorry fannies caught fire when we began to research Obama's statements about McCain's intention to tax employer provided health insurance. Like I said, we're voting our pocketbooks and are no longer proud of our past voting history.

Call us whatever demeaning name you want. We will vote for Barack Obama. Go for it, Slick. Cuss us all you want. GOMBAMA!!!!!

Posted by: housewife in phoenix | October 22, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Go Nader!

Posted by: misspris | October 22, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

ANOTHER OBAMA LIE

Documented even by the WashPo.

OBAMA--HE HATES AMERICA

Posted by: JaxMax | October 22, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Dear housewife,

Perhaps you should break out the reading glasses, dear. My statements are accurate, assuming you use the tax credit to purchase insurance. If you do not use it to actually purchase insurance, the money that is taxed IS NOT THE BENEFITS, BUT THE COST OF THE POLICY - i.e., the portion of the PREMIUM that your employer pays.

And I quote:

The McCain Plan DOES NOT tax:
* Premiums paid by families and individuals
* Employers for providing health care coverage
* Medical expenses like the cost of a procedure or medication
* Insurance claims

Please take note of bullet point #3.

If you do not use the tax credit to purchase insurance, then it can be used to defray the tax ON THE COST OF THE POLICY. The plan does NOT tax benefits.

But thanks for playing, dear.

Posted by: Let's Get A Clue | October 22, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

You Obama backers never heard of him until he started running for President. What a shame to base your decision that he is qualified just because he speaks of hope and dreams. At least I know McCain and what he stands for and he has more patriotism then Obama will ever have.

Posted by: James | October 22, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Dear housewife (pt. 2),

One other thing to consider. Obama's tax plan involves raising the top marginal corporate tax rate from 35% to 39% for companies that have in excess of $250,000/yr in profits.

The claim is that most small businesses will not be affected. This is true. Most won't, because most are non-employer firms (firms that do not employ anyone, i.e., self-employment).

The average firm makes a pre-tax profit of about $12,000 per employee:

(See page 11, multiply after-tax profits by 1.53 to remove the 35% tax, divide by number of employees from the Census Bureau employment statistics)

This means that a company with 23 people, on average, falls into Obama's tax increases. Note from the Census Bureau's report that companies with 20 or more employees EMPLOY NEARLY 80% of Americans.

So while most small businesses will remain unaffected, about 80% of us work for an employer who WILL be affected.

Now what do you think the odds are - especially given the down economy - that a tax increase on your employer will HELP your chances of seeing a wage increase, benefits increase, or (if you don't have a job) finding a job?

Not only that, but who do you think pays corporate taxes anyway? The CEOs? Corporate profits are calculated after payroll. The CEOs have already gotten paid.

YOU pay corporate taxes, either in increased prices, decreased wages, or both.

Posted by: Let's Get A Clue | October 22, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

To housewife (pt. 3):

To demonstrate that I am not above following my own advice, I freely admit that my statement that the tax comes from the $5,000 credit is incorrect.

Your calculation based on the tax coming from the insurance BENEFITS is similarly incorrect, as is the resulting $3,400 - $9,000 additional tax liability you calculated.

Posted by: Let's Get A Clue | October 22, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

The biggest lie is the one McCain is peddling that Obama will hike taxes on everyone. Here is his tax plan compared to McCain's giveaway to the wealthy:

……………… MCCAIN …………. OBAMA
Income ……. Avg tax bill ……. Avg. tax bill
Over $2.9M …. -$269,364 (-4.4%)… +$701,885 (+11.5%)
$603K and up…. -$45,361 (-3.4%)… +$115,974 (+8.7%)
$227K-$603K…… -$7,871 (-3.1%)…….. +$12 (+0.0%)
$161K-$227K…… -$4,380 (-3.0%)….. -$2,789 (-1.9%)
$112K-$161K…… -$2,614 (-2.5%)….. -$2,204 (-2.1%)
$66K-$112K …… -$1,009 (-1.4%)….. -$1,290 (-1.8%)
$38K-$66K …….. -$319 (-0.7%)….. -$1,042 (-2.4%)
$19K-$38K …….. -$113 (-0.5%)……. -$892 (-3.6%)
Under $19K ……… -$19 (-0.2%)……. -$567 (-5.5%)

Joe the Plummer with his current salary of $40,000 would get over a thousand extra dollars to spend in the marketplace under Obama compared to only $319 under McCain. Putting more money into the pockets of average Americans will do more good for this country than handing huge tax cuts to the wealthy who in this financial climate are more than likely to hold onto the money rather than invest it in business start-up or expansion. That McCain and the Republicans have managed to convince a certain percentage of Americans that rewarding over 80% of our citizens for their hard work by putting more money into their pocket is "socialism" is simply mind-boggling; even more so when you consider that this Republican administration has consistently supported privatized profit and socialized risk for the the Wealthy...and McCain, despite his faux neo-populism proposes more of the same.

Posted by: radical_moderate | October 22, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

That is the exact problem between Obama,and McCain.They both have plans, they both have change on their minds, but Obama gives real answers with actual Pay ins as well as Pay outs.McCain just keeps throwing out numbers,. were gonna change this, were gonna change that, a few billion here, a few billion there, but none of his math adds up.Somehow, every proposal made by McCain is Horribly underfunded, which either means cut backs to existing programs(likely) or MORE DEFICIT SPENDING(equally likely)
People might not like the Socializing aspects of what Obama's plans have to offer, but they are clear and consise, no hidden costs or "ABBREVIATED" figures.
McCain, unfortunately, keeps throwing out stories hopeing to catch some attention, more about Ayers, more about Socialism,but nothing most of America is needing to hear-
Clear, understandable and helpful information, And Obama has been thorough in delivering his message, his explitive approach to many of Average Americas Real issues.
McCain want Us to think "God And Guns" is the only issue America is Worried about.Unfortunately, no one even cares about either tright now.

Posted by: Mullett | October 22, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Let us see whether or not the Christian people of Pennsylvania are willing to trust the slick talking Obama with their Religion or with their guns, or whether those Old Dominion Virginia citizens are willing to trust him with their military complexes and let him ruin their economy through it alone, let alone his higher taxes and big government extra welfare ideas.

Posted by: PROFINDS | October 22, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Obama's ' redistribution of wealth, give each illegal immigrant a driving license and US citizenship' arguments will win him more votes and draw bigger crowd in rallies in big cities, but not in vast rural and suburban towns where people don't appreciate the welfare system in the government

Posted by: austin b | October 22, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Obama scares racists young and old alike. You all have had your chance to get it right. You didn't. Now step aside. Don't be afraid of the dark.

And, another thing, why wouldn't you think that blacks and other minorities wouldn't ever get tired of being treated like second class citizens.

How is it that many of you call yourselves Christians. I believe that old black folks have good reason to be angry. They remember when many of their friends and family members were lynched...murdered. Right here in the good ol' US of A. Many of these black folks directly descend from slaves...slaves. Many of us can't imagine what that must be like. Should they never be allowed to express to you how they feel?

Racism is not right when anyone does it. It does still exist. We can't pretend that it doesn't. I know someone, an African American Woman, that purchased a home recently in a white neighborhood that she can't live in because of threats of violence simply because of the color of her skin.

Blacks haven't had the right to vote for that long. Must we continue to oppress them?

Everyone take a long hard look in the mirror...please

Lets agree to live and let live. This has to stop. God help us.

Posted by: Imma | October 22, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

zukermand

The problem with you is that you enjoy being blind and following the leader too much to truly research your candidate and what he truly represents. I suppose your lack of vocabulary merely reflects an ignorant mind trying to express itself.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2008 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Imma

I do not deminish the suffering that the black man has endured, the injustice, the murder, rape, and so much more. Yet, in my view, I personally have been associated with, freinds to, and known many black men and none of them are have been slaves.

I do not ignore the ignorance of racial bigots, and do not hesitate in confronting them when I see or hear someone spouting their hateful and arrogant drivel. For I do not judge or weigh the value of any man because of the pigmentation of his skin.

As a Christian, one who has been "born again" of the water and the spirit, I can not support Obama, for the "ruler" I use to determine a mans qualifications for any politicial or church office is the Holy Bible. Obama has a spirit of deception, he is not a true Christian, for his voting record alone clearly demonstrates that he is not a practicing christian, and his long time associations with questionable radical individuals, (Wright, Rezko, Ayers, Odinga, etc) not to mention his refusal to produce an authenticated birth certificate, his close ties to Acorn (now under federal investigation for wide spread voter fraud in 11 states), as well as his own personal statements describing his left wing political philosophies leaves convinced that I can not and shall not vote for him. I beleive that the mans left wing socialistic political philosophies are dangerous and threatens our individual rights to self govern.

Posted by: Jordan | October 23, 2008 12:39 AM | Report abuse

A Little scared and confused is a GOOD thing!

I think that when we are aware and awake we are always a little confused and at least cautious.

Politicians for the past 2 decades have been telling us that their economic policies will "trickle down".

Well, many people have been "trickled on" but never benefited from the combination of supply side economics and a currency and monetary system based on debt.
Many people have worked hard all their lives and they truly deserve a break.
Although I personally disagree with many aspects of the Obama financial proposal, I believe that it is a good place to start and a timeout (at least) from the insane policies of cutting taxes and spending like there is no tomorrow.
Perhaps, we may learn that there is rhyme to the reason of deficit spending and perhaps, the powers actually BELIEVE (as W stated) "History... in the future we will all be dead."
BUT, even on my deathbed I don't want to ruin that experience by remembering that I owe ANYONE ANYTHING. And, if perhaps there is life after us, then I certainly do not want my children to have to foot the bill for unchecked greed of others.

I ma sure that a man like Barrack does not want to try to scare the elderly but if you look at Medicare, social security and other safety nets for the old and crunch the numbers, then you see that, to coin W's poppy, VOODOO Economics and spending more money than you have and then borrowing money for risky investments and to bail out failed corporations and institutions is not very sound economics.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 23, 2008 2:58 AM | Report abuse

A Little scared and confused is a GOOD thing!

Many people have worked hard all their lives and they truly deserve a break.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 23, 2008 3:00 AM | Report abuse

Obamas' military non-support may be a deciding factor as to whether or not he carries the state of Colorado, the state of Virginia, or the state of North Carolina; each a state that has military land. I sure don't believe that he will get the majority of the military personnel vote or even anywhere near it.

Posted by: PROFINDS | October 23, 2008 3:32 AM | Report abuse

Picture the scene on the ''Wall Street'' trading floors as..............

McCain and Palin walk into the ''Rose Garden'' to address the Nation........

I think that will be enough to scare the hell out of anybody.

Posted by: rodhemeon | October 23, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

"Fear drives the voters of this nation and he plays upon those fears to spin his elaborate and deceptive tale of "change". "

Dude (or not?)! You've described the campaign of the Republicans to a T: He's not one of us. He's anti-American. He pals around with terrorists. We don't really know who he is (and we like it that way). He's going to raise your taxes. He's a socialist (when the US has just nationalized a hefty chunk of our financial system). We only have a small percentage of the worlds oil, but we can drill our way to foreign oil independence: Drill Baby Drill! He won't protect you/us. He's been wrong on national security every time.

Give me a freakin' break! It's the bottom of the ninth, the MacCain ticket has nothing in the tank and there seems to be an outbreak of sanity in the populace - some of 'em, enough, we hope, to put the right people where they belong - Alaska and Arizona.

Posted by: gonzo3d | October 23, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

The biggest problem with Seator Mccain's health insurance plan has been noted by the US Chamber of Commerce... Mr. McCain's health Care plan will unravel employer based care, causing 20 million American's to lose their current coverage. While those who are healthy may be able to purchase health insurance with the tax credit he provides; as a cancer survivor Mr. McCain's plan is basically a death sentence as it will force me and other cancer survivors to rely upon private insurance which will not cover people who are seriously ill.

Concerned cancer survivor

Posted by: yzw200 | October 24, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I AM AN OBAMA SUPPORTER BC I BELIEVE THAT HE HAS MY BEST INTERESTS AT HEART. I CANNOT AFFORD TO GO BACK TO COLLEGE, MY SINGLE PARENT MOTHER WENT THRU FORECLOSURE, I HAVE NO HEALTH INSURANCE. I AM ONLY 22 AND I AM BLACK. I WAS NOT BORN WITH A SILVER SPOON IN MY MOUTH. I AM THE AVERAGE YOUNG PERSON IN AMERICA. WHAT CAN MCCAIN DO FOR ME? HE CANNOT RELATE TO ME. IT'S NOT BECAUSE OBAMA IS BLACK THAT HE IS MY CHOICE, BUT BC HE IS THE ONLY CHOICE. THAT IS WHY MOST YOUNG PPL ARE BEHIND OBAMA- BC HE KNOWS OUR STRUGGLES AND WE ARE NOT STUCK IN OUR WAYS LIKE OLD WAR VETS WHO WANT TO RETALIATE. IF OBAMA DOES NOT WIN ITS GONNA BE A PROBLEM. MCCAIN IS DIDNT EVEN WANT TO CONDUCT AN INTERVIEW AND SPEAK WITH TH EBLACK YOUTH OF AMERICA BC HIS CAMPAIGN SAYS THEIR VOTES ARE NOT NEEDED. THAT JUST FURTHER CONFIRMS TO ME THAT HE DOESNT GIVE A D-- ABOUT ME OR ANYONE LIKE ME, BC YOU MAY NOT NEED MY VOTE BUT DONT ACT LIKE AN OLD BITTER RACIST WHITE MAN. IM DONE

Posted by: ccsoto | October 24, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

to the folks who call Obama a jackal:
I guess our country hasn't been run down in last eight years. We took care of the terrorism problem only to be in a bigger mess. We see that free markets and governments are being run by the foxes left to care for us the chickens. So as Clinton came in and righted the ship so will another Democrat who will work with both sides to get the job done.

Posted by: williamjohnson1 | October 24, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm a "Senior" (66 years old), and McCain scares the hell out of me!

Posted by: thrh | October 26, 2008 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Democrats for John McCain and Sarah Palin in 2008

Posted by: hclark1 | October 26, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Hey everyone...I hear all sorts of things about Obama...like his "Associations" with folks like of Ayres, and then there's Khalidi and then a guy named Michael Klonsky and Rezko and then the religious dudes Flager and Reve Wright... and someone told me that while living in Hawaii his mentor was a guy name Fank Marshall Davis Gonna watch Sun(oct26) 9ET on Foxnews Sean Hannity's show on Obama to understand

Posted by: goforit999 | October 26, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Obama Scares Seniors

Obama probably does scare seniors by pulling the wool off their eyes and allowing the vision of sight with the help despite the politic escapade that has been shedding the truth about why his plan would benefit them moreso then that of McCain. They were apparently blinded and in a mindset that McCain had their best interests at heart, but finally, they see the light at the end of the tunnel and the truth that Obama have shedded on them. I would have been scared to know how corrupt McCain was had not I come to know the truth. Scary no doubt. God Bless America!

Posted by: Nisey01 | October 28, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Obama doesn't scare me and I am a senior. Maybe that is what you would love for him to do to satisfy your agenda at hand But, no deal buddy, I am for Obama and have been from day one into the final day which is Nov. 4, 2008. So you can take your little McCain scare tactics and try them else where buddy. No deal here and that is, of course, my final answer. God Bless America!

Posted by: Nisey01 | October 28, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Obama is too scary to trust with taxpayers money flows through all conversations, when the discussion is the little publicized court filing that he made denying Americans the "right to know".
In trying to vet the candidate people wanted to see Obama's Harvard admissions document, his birth certificate, you know vital statistic stuff everone fearful wanted to know about,because of his funny name.

Well rather than an above the board view, we get our rights cut off. Not a good change.
I feel sorry for the press, they cannot investigate themselves out of the thimble they must survive in these days.
How dou you expect anyone to trust that had these rights before?

Posted by: dottydo | October 28, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse