Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
  @GlennKesslerWP  |   Facebook  | Contact: factchecker@washpost.com  |  RSS Feeds RSS
Posted at 12:30 PM ET, 03/ 2/2011

Huckabee's 'Kenya' clarification raises more questions

By Glenn Kessler

"In my answer, I simply misspoke when I alluded to President Obama growing up in 'Kenya' and meant to say Indonesia."
--Former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee

We all make mistakes. A slip of the tongue can easily happen, especially to a politician during an interview.

But Huckabee's claim that he misspoke when he said--twice--on the Steve Malzberg radio show that President Obama grew up in Kenya raises more questions. That's because of the context in which Huckabee made his claim.

Here's what he said:

Malzberg: "Don't you think we deserve to know more about this man?"

Huckabee: "I would love to know more. What I know is troubling enough. And one thing that I do know is his having grown up in Kenya, his view of the Brits, for example, very different than the average American. When he gave the bust back to the Brits -- "

Malzberg: "Of Winston Churchill."

Huckabee: "The bust of Winston Churchill, a great insult to the British. But then if you think about it, his perspective as growing up in Kenya with a Kenyan father and grandfather, their view of the Mau Mau Revolution in Kenya is very different than ours because he probably grew up hearing that the British were a bunch of imperialists who persecuted his grandfather."

Try substituting Indonesia into those comments and it makes little sense.


Indonesia used to be a Dutch colony, known as the Dutch East Indies. The British controlled Malaysia, which is kind of close to Indonesia, but the Mau Mau uprising took place in Kenya in the 1950s. Churchill was the British prime minister when the uprising erupted in 1952. Obama's grandfather, Hussein Onyango Obama, was reportedly detained during the conflict, though that is not confirmed. (See third update below.)

In his memoir "Dreams from my Father," Obama wrote that he did not visit Kenya until he was in his 20s. Obama barely knew his father, who abandoned Obama's mother shortly after he was born and played almost no role in Obama's upbringing.

The question of the Winston Churchill bust is a bit murkier.

Huckabee is right that the British press went a little nuts over this issue. But the bust was on loan from the British to President George W. Bush and the White House said it was due to be returned before Obama even arrived at the White House. Still, the British embassy said they would extend the loan if Obama wished. But Obama replaced the bust with one of Abraham Lincoln--a Republican!--and now the Churchill bust resides at the residence of the British ambassador. Obama later tried make amends, praising Churchill at a news conference and making a point of noting he kept a biography of Churchill on display.

But in any case Churchill had nothing to do with Indonesia, where Obama lived for five years, until he was 10.

So Huckabee's whole statement kind of falls apart, especially when Kenya is replaced by Indonesia. What was he really thinking?

We asked a Huckabee spokesman for an explanation and will post an answer if we get one.

Update: Huckabee's spokesman points out that the governor discusses the Winston Churchill incident on page 183 in his new book, "A Simple Government." Huckabee writes that "our wartime partnership with Winston Churchill and the British people is part of our story; the Mau Mau rebellion is not." He accuses Obama of emphasizing "his story rather than history." We are still waiting for a fuller explanation.

Further update, 4:30 PM: Huckabee appeared on Bryan Fischer's radio show Wednesday and discussed the incident further, noting that, regarding the return of the Churchill bust, he merely quoted the outrage of a British newspaper in his book. "I do think he [Obama] has a different world view and I think it is, in part, molded out of a very different experience," Huckabee said. "Most of us grew up going to Boy Scout meetings and, you know, our communities were filled with Rotary Clubs, not madrassas."

The idea that Obama attended a madrassa had been debunked by original Fact Checker Michael Dobbs (it was a Catholic school.) But the notion that Obama is anti-colonial--and that this is bad--is also a little strange. After all, one of the biggest foes of Winston Churchill's efforts to hold onto British colonies was none other than President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Third update, March 3: Justin Elliott at Salon has an interesting interview with an historian that adds context to questions concerning the Mau Mau uprising.

Follow The Fact Checker on Twitter and friend us on Facebook

By Glenn Kessler  | March 2, 2011; 12:30 PM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama, Mike Huckabee, issue context  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haley Barbour's Medicaid fantasy
Next: Four pinocchios for the American public on the budget

Comments

What was he really thinking?

Probably that anyone who supports him is too ignorant to know the truth or care.

Posted by: veritasinmedium | March 2, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Reveals Christianity for what it is, a vehicle for lying.

Posted by: Geopolitics1 | March 2, 2011 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Huckabee should get himself a teleprompter so he can emulate our failure in chief.

Posted by: Desertdiva1 | March 2, 2011 12:57 PM | Report abuse

He either really meant to say Kenya and is now bactracking as fast as possible, or he is woefully ignorant of Indonesia. The Mau Maus in Indonesia????? Give us a break. Either way, he comes out as another politician who is loose with the facts. And I did have some respect for him.

Posted by: Aquarius1 | March 2, 2011 12:58 PM | Report abuse

So duhdiva, you think it is Obama's fault Huckabee is lying about what he said?!

Time to replace your logic unit.

Posted by: veritasinmedium | March 2, 2011 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Mr. Kessler. Your article supports my conclusion. The logic falls apart Mr. Huckabee shifts to Indonesia.

I was really hoping he would come up with a better, more believable explanation.

Posted by: wpobserver1 | March 2, 2011 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Huckabee is suppose to be a Christian but he is also a proven liar. My mother told me not to call people names but in this case I think she will understand - a liar is a liar. My mother also told me "if you tell the truth you don't have to keep changing your story...".

Posted by: rlj611 | March 2, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

In the past, Huckabee clearly denounced those in his party who made this claim. Like McCain of old, Huckabee used to have a solid conscience. However, like McCain, he's seen the numbers and has sold out:

Something like 80% of likely GOP primary voters believe Obama was born and raised in Kenya.

Many of those same national embarrassments also call themselves Tea Party patriots. We're in a dangerous, anti-intellectual phase in this country and it is so disheartening to see otherwise intelligent, principalled people like Huckabee cater to this "movement." He is exactly the kind of person we've previously counted on to help correct the idiots; now he's encouraging them.

Posted by: abqcleve | March 2, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

So much political stuff is just baloney. Huckabee's comment was that kind of thing. Right now the Missouri legislature, and those of several other states, are working to pass bills requring presidential candidates to submit birth certificates. What a waste of the legislature's time. At a place in our history where our legislatures need to be dealing with real problems, they are still posturing about birtherism.

Posted by: tinyjab40 | March 2, 2011 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Huckabee is carrying on the oh-so proud Repub tradition of lying whenever the truth is inconvenient. Reagan and Bush 41 did it but Bush 43 was the master at it with McCain and Palin right behind him. Keeping their supporters uninformed is their only chance at getting votes. Go ahead, Rpubs, keep on hoping that your electorate is stupid. America, wake up!

Posted by: jillcohen | March 2, 2011 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Desertdummy's stale teleprompter joke is just one small example of why Obama will cruise to reelection.

Posted by: Observer691 | March 2, 2011 2:01 PM | Report abuse

What I find more troubling that Huckabee's pandering to the birthers about Obama being raised in Kenya is his continued dishonesty about being "mispoken". Huckabee claims he simply mispoke and meant to say Indonesia but this is also false. Huckabee not only mentioned Obama being raised in Kenya he went on at length about how Obama would have been influenced by the British! New Flash: Indonesia wasn't occupied by the British. One lie piled on top of another. But that is the GOP way...never let actual facts get in the way of a good story.

Posted by: logcabin1836 | March 2, 2011 2:02 PM | Report abuse

"Misspeaking" in a way that clearly demonstrates malicious intent isn't just lying, it's "bearing false witness."

Huckabee may claim to be a Christian, but that apparently only means that he thinks he's automatically forgiven for bearing false witness against another man.

Christ mey forgive him that, but we can't afford a malicious liar in the White House.

Posted by: lonquest | March 2, 2011 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Mike, just shut-up.

Posted by: jckdoors | March 2, 2011 2:12 PM | Report abuse

tinyjab40 @ March 2, 2011 1:37 PM complains that the MO legislature, and those of several other states, are working to pass bills requiring presidential candidates to submit birth certificates, instead of bills to promote job growth.

Promoting Job Growth is not easy, and the Republicans/Conservatives/Tea Partiers avoid difficult things like the plague!

So, where ARE them jobs, anyway? Oh, where is that $100 billion spending cut this year, too for that matter? Ah, I almost forgot, where is the ACA replacement that has been on the shelf ready to roll out?

Posted by: AMviennaVA | March 2, 2011 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Huckabee is a typical bagger LIAR.

Posted by: jeffc6578 | March 2, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

He just misspoke, and O fans - including supposed "fact checker" Glenn Kessler - are trying to use it against him. Which is a bit odd, because in the last elections they hyped Huck *first*, then cut him down.

And, supposed "fact checker" Glenn Kessler would never look into things like governors, other politicians, and dozens of MSM "reporters" lying and misleading about the basic facts of this issue and then smearing to paper over those lies.

For the actual facts about this issue and to see all the MSM "reporters" who've lied, see the posts here:

http://24ahead.com/s/obama-citizenship

(I need to update the summary section at the top of that, so just scroll down to the list of posts.)

Posted by: LonewackoDotCom | March 2, 2011 2:21 PM | Report abuse

They show a pic of a black kid playing in the ocean. Notice there are no pics of the same kid with his Mom or Grand parents. Family
pictures is what America is about. Where are they Obama? Where
are the kids he went to elementary school with? His mates? The
high school pals. The college mates. Won't one of them stand up
for him? No, it seems he had no friends but his communist grandparents. WAG THE DOG BABY! Buzzy

Posted by: drjazz777 | March 2, 2011 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Hey Huckabee,

What's your Ninth Commandment?

Did God hire K Street lawyers who wrote an exception for theocons who get caught in lies?

Posted by: areyousaying | March 2, 2011 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Out of Rove's Fox News style guide:

Say outrageous lies to attack your opponents and, if you get caught in them, simply say you "misspoke" or "I'm sorry if you took what I said the wrong way"

Posted by: areyousaying | March 2, 2011 2:26 PM | Report abuse

If Huckabee simply "mispoke" then why did he elaborate by talking about Obama's opinions on the British who controlled Kenya for many years under colonial rule? Don't then say you meant to say Indonesia. New Flash...Indonesia wasn't part of the British Empire. One lie piled on top of another Mr. Huckabee. Stop pandering to the right-wing nut birthers Mr. Huckabee.

Posted by: logcabin1836 | March 2, 2011 2:33 PM | Report abuse

for those who think a state can pass a birther law you need a rude awakening. that's unconststutional. only the federal govt. has a say in federal elections. sorry folks but obama will be your next president and all the lies ain't gonna work.

Posted by: donincardona | March 2, 2011 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Huckabee and his handlers must be as stupid as the teabaggers/birthers if he thinks that anyone with a single functioning brain cell is going to buy the "misspoke" line on this one.

Maybe this should be the first 5 Pinnochio award.

Posted by: luridone | March 2, 2011 2:36 PM | Report abuse

It DOESN'T make sense because Huckabee is owned by FIXED News and if FIXED News tells Huckabee to JUMP, than he had better Jump.

All Huckabee needs to know is how high.

In this case, Huckabee has been giving orders by FIXED News to discredit and mischaracterize the President's childhood and his beliefs.

Posted by: lcarter0311 | March 2, 2011 2:37 PM | Report abuse

gomer pyle was just sucking up to his racist base, leave him alone!

Posted by: calif-joe | March 2, 2011 2:41 PM | Report abuse

And there are 57 states.

And the words "endowed by their Creator" aren't in the "Declaration of Independence".

I'm not a big fan of Huckabee - after he threw his electoral votes over to McCain effectively canceling the will of the voters who were voting for Romney - he lost any future vote I may have given to him...but this is a "witch" hunt. Pure and simple.

Posted by: LMW6 | March 2, 2011 2:41 PM | Report abuse

When will a Republican emerge who is running for anything have a 5th graders knowledge of geography and world history. In this current world we live in that's really frightening because many of these people actually get elected. Are most voting Americans that stupid and/or ill informed?

Posted by: crew260571 | March 2, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

So, yet again, the good Christian senator is lying. He is back peddling AND lying. If he cannot differentiate between Kenya and Indonesia TWICE in a brief moment, he is certainly not fit to be President. He is not fit to negotiate with world leaders, nor to report to the press, nor to converse with diplomats and high-ranking international officials. He might think he was speaking about the British PM and forget that he was actually speaking about PM Netanyahu.

Posted by: bevschneider | March 2, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm disappointed. I thought Mike Huckabee was one of the more thought Republicans. Oh, well. Palinism seems to be contagious.

Posted by: PracticalIndependent | March 2, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

President Obama could easily make available his records of where he lived for the first ten years of his life. I have to ask: why not? Of course, from Obama's point of view, he'd surely set off a fire storm of new viciousness, whatever he provided. It would "never be enough." This is a dilberate attempt by Huckabee to further tarnish Obama in the eyes of the Tea Baggers, & other neanderthals of the GOP. They read & believe & listen to the people they want, so there's really not much in the way of anything Obama could do to end this carping.
Huckabee's a phony. He likes to pretend he's just a good ol' boy, bass player, church a goin' man. He's a phony, as are many fundamentalist Christian ministers, in that they talk all the time about the use of the Bible to inform their behavior ... but then he lies & continues to spread distortions about our President.
I'd bet he doesn't like distortions of the Bible's message to be made. Huckabee: loser. Gingrich: loser. Romney: loser. Palin: super loser. McCain: loser. Pawlenty: loser. Cantor: loser. John "The Tan Man" Boehner: loser. Mitch McConnell: loser.
The list could go on infinitum.

Posted by: zennheadd | March 2, 2011 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Every Republican is a liar.

Every single one.

Posted by: ronnieandrush | March 2, 2011 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Pure and simple. Those who would have you believe that "American" means "white" will still believe the lie. But for Huckabee no amount of backtracking will patch the wound.

Instead of intelligence puppets like Sessions and Hatch recite the approved RNC script without taking time to check facts.
Script reading is necessary since you will seldom see the hate-mongers at town meetings or open forums -- without screening the audience.

Posted by: Bluejay62 | March 2, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Not any RNC shill comment's posted here on Huck's claims? That means that even the covert RNC Dirty Tricks Team in D.C. cannot defend Huck's outlandish and ingnorant statements.

Huck you look like Gomer Pyle on this one. "Hey Aunt Bea, I made up a whopper about the President and said it on the air. Do you think I'll be forgiven Aunt Bea?"

Posted by: Tell-the-Truth-Please | March 2, 2011 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Here is a copy/paste quote from the teaser for this article:
"Mike Huckabee's claim that he misspoke when he said--twice--on the Steve Malzberg radio show that President Obama was born in Kenya is undermined by the context in which he made his claim. "
Where in this article or from what source do we get the phrase "born in Kenya"? Did someone MISSPEAK or is this just dishonest reporting?

Posted by: ronnie1043 | March 2, 2011 3:04 PM | Report abuse

What's worse in my mind of Huckabee stating that President Obama was born in, or grew up in Kenya (which GOP challengers, if any, have rushed to dispel that crazy notion) is his statement that Obama should be somehow considered un-American for holding views critical of the British:

Said Huckabee, a supposedly educated man, "their view of the Mau Mau Revolution in Kenya is very different than ours because he probably grew up hearing that the British were a bunch of imperialists who persecuted his grandfather."

It seems that we Americans fought a war (like the Mau Mau's in Kenya) over the crown's imperialistic policies towards our forefathers, the colonists.

What's right for us isn't for the Kenyans? Huckabee is an idiot. I am amazed our press hasn't bothered to address this, only the non-sense that Obama is not regarded as a native-born American.

Posted by: srchapman52 | March 2, 2011 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Huckabee needs to brush up on his history, because Churchill, for all his WWII heroism, actually WAS an
imperialist, and an unapologetic, outspoken one too. As a postwar opposition leader, he was opposed to Indian independence. Once he became Prime Minister again, he justified his dispatching of troops to Kenya by saying that he would not participate in a "dismembering" of the British empire. He also resisted giving independence to Malaysia.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | March 2, 2011 3:08 PM | Report abuse

You did not misspeak - you were wrong, incorrect, way off base. Go ahead, say "I was wrong." Take some responsibility. It won't kill you. And since you were wrong, the only honorable thing to do is to admit it and move on.

Posted by: ikeaboy | March 2, 2011 3:09 PM | Report abuse

How can anyone possibly think about voting for the likes of Huckleberry (if he runs, even if the reason is to stymie the Newt) when he doesn't know the difference between a lie and the truth? This comment also applies to others who believe themselves to be 'Political Christians'
(they don't allow any questions, because they already have all the answers - alas, most of them being lies and mis-information which they freely peddle).

Posted by: rbsher | March 2, 2011 3:11 PM | Report abuse

We need two political parties which have credibility. They don't need to agree on teh issues but their claims need to be based on the truth. Here we have more Republican spin. It's called the big lie. The GOP used it to claim that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction and various Republican officials continued to make this claim long after this was proved to be false.
The problem with the practice of Republicans lying is that it will be difficult to believe them when they tell the truth.

Posted by: OhMy | March 2, 2011 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Good grief. I'm not sure which is worse between the initial statement and the bogus explanation. The vast majority of Republicans don't harbor conspiracy theories about the President's birth and upbringing, and I think Huckabee can't be a serious contender. Why traffic in this nonsense instead of focusing on what the President has done in office: sticking our country with ruinous deficits and a job-killing health care law?

Posted by: NatGreene | March 2, 2011 3:13 PM | Report abuse

These Pretzels Are Making Me Thirsty.

THAT'S what he meant to say.

Posted by: SwellLevel5 | March 2, 2011 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I suppose Huckabee will claim he misspoke when tries to explain why he released a cop killer from prison.

Posted by: knjincvc | March 2, 2011 3:15 PM | Report abuse

It would be pointless to address the knuckleheads on here, and elsewhere, who want to know why President Obama hasn't proven where he lived, or doubt that he is a citizen. But it scares me to know how many people think like that.

So far as Huckabee, I just lost the last bit of respect I had for him.

Posted by: tojo45 | March 2, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

The Huckster like all good Republicans is only in it to win by hook or crook, mostly crook. He lied, he didn't misspeak anymore than the Swift Boaters misspoke. They make up lies and know there's enough hatemongers amongst their constituents to "believe".

How about showing us Huckabee's own birth certificate? Is the doctor who neglected to abort this birdbrain still alive to prove Huckabee was ever born?

If the Conservatives would move on to meaningful debate about how to create jobs, save the environment, end the wars then they'd have something. So far they're all smoke, mirrors and lies. This is a heritage that goes back to Nixon "I'm not crook" (even though he was).

Who's Huckabee's running mate going to be? Orly Taitz?

Posted by: davidbronx | March 2, 2011 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Mike Huckabee did not misspeak. This comment was intentional and designed to help sell his book,designed to keep his name "out there", and finally designed to make him "real" critic of the president. Comments and actions like these are reasons that Americans are turned off to politics. Additionally, tactics or the lack of fair comments prevent "good and honest" people from seeking public office. I though Huckabee would be above the petty tactics.
This is really unfortunate. The act of de-legitimizing this president has continued longer than the Bush/Gore situation.

Posted by: dad104 | March 2, 2011 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I can assure you, as an American resident in Britain, that any fuss over the Churchill bust subsided two years ago at the latest and that British support for Obama remains strong, despite Afghanistan.

Posted by: adlindley | March 2, 2011 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how many of these posters have ever misspoke ? I wonder how many pay taxes on annual income without supplemental tax exclusion income paid for my the middle class? I wonder how many have served time in a war zone ? I wonder how many have never used illegal drugs ? I wonder how many have never lied to their mate or best friend ? I do not know ... but I wonder ... do you ?

Posted by: buckaroo5 | March 2, 2011 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Politicians like Huckabee who refuse to publicly denounce birthers are shocked when one of their followers says something like "when are we going to shoot the POTUS". It take them a few day to realize they are shocked but they come around to being shocked.

Posted by: knjincvc | March 2, 2011 3:41 PM | Report abuse

FACT CHecker is a big old fatty fallacy.
They got nothing to support their side.
Open the hisdden history and prove yourselves right or wrong seems only prudent to avoid
turpitude = fact checker.

Posted by: dottydo | March 2, 2011 3:45 PM | Report abuse

FACT CHecker is a big old fatty fallacy.
They got nothing to support their side.

Open the hidden history and prove yourselves right or wrong, only seems only prudent to avoid
turpitude = fact checker.

Posted by: dottydo | March 2, 2011 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Huckster is either an intentionally lying, cynical, sack of s***, or just a pandering and dumb as dirt right-winger. Either way, we the American people, are the big losers. And as for you idiots who keep asking/expecting more on Obama's background -- are you kidding or have you just not paying attention? They guy has written whole books about his growing up, where he was, who his friends were, etc. And, really, shame on you for calling his dead grandparents names. Really. How very Christian of you.

Posted by: christinearvidson | March 2, 2011 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Poor Mike Huckabee, being pulled like a DUMMY on a string.

He doesn't know whether he is coming or going with his head spinning in a million directions.

By the time his FIXED news handler's keep jerking those Huckabee strings, the Southern Baptist "ordained" minister will be crazier than an Arkansas "coon" dog.

Posted by: lcarter0311 | March 2, 2011 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Huckabee knows as all republicans know - This media accepts anything they say, feed it to this public as news and if FOX repeats it then it must be true! These people have fabricated, lied, and spinned so many falsehoods the public no longer pay any attention. This is their way of making their points and the media runs with it.

However, let Obama say something that one word can be left of the sentence to change its meaning then the headlines become "What if he had said" or even better when Obama doesn't say anything and the story become what he should of said. But hold on, the next thing you know a poll comes out a week later about people opinions that dips into his popularity numbers and all of a sudden Obama is dropping in the polls. No one even cares about facts anymore - I have an even better example of question. When these polls are taken why isn't the question ever ask of: where this poll was taken, who responded, were they democrats or republican? DId they support Obama's administration? What percentage of the pollsters voted for President Obama? What states were involved in the polling? Are we hearing from the same discontented constinents? Not only do I question the polls, pollers and result because even when we are told the poll question seldom are we told the other questions asked or the premise used to develop the questions. And sadly we keep falling for the same news wrapped in the same week old wrapping!

Posted by: mcgeenate | March 2, 2011 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I truly believe the media will do its best to make a Presidential candidate out of this piece of crap - You did John McCain and Sarah Palin so the sky is the limit for Huckabee.

Posted by: mcgeenate | March 2, 2011 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Can't we just say what the Huckster did... he lied...and he lied to feed red meat to the psycho right wing base that listens to the third rate radio show he was on....

Posted by: pblotto | March 2, 2011 3:55 PM | Report abuse

That is the way propaganda works.

Posted by: JillCalifornia | March 2, 2011 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Actually, as a Southern Baptist ordained minister, Huckabee has an added responsibility to stop these racist tirades and get the facts before he blabs this sort of hate speech. I cannot understand whether he just ignored the Hawaii Governor's direct statement that she personally reviewed the birth records of Barack Obama and that indeed, he was born in Hawaii as his Hawaii birth certificate states. This is not a question about unsettled facts. This is either plain, ordinary political lies or worst, racially motivated lies. Or Huckabee is not to be trusted to get the facts before he makes such a libelous statement. In any of these cases, he is not to be trusted to lead our country. Can you imagine this guy in a meeting with a foreign dignitary if he is this loose on fact checking.

Posted by: mJJ2 | March 2, 2011 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Oom papa mau mau....

The Persuasions

Posted by: willandjansdad1 | March 2, 2011 4:11 PM | Report abuse

By the time his FIXED news handler's keep jerking those Huckabee strings, the Southern Baptist "ordained" minister will be crazier than an Arkansas "coon" dog.

Posted by: lcarter0311

Or as we say down home Brother Carter:
"Crazier than a coon in a shoebox"...The Huckster is huckstering.

Posted by: willandjansdad1 | March 2, 2011 4:14 PM | Report abuse

It DOESN'T make sense because Huckabee is owned by FIXED News and if FIXED News tells Huckabee to JUMP, than he had better Jump.

All Huckabee needs to know is how high.

In this case, Huckabee has been giving orders by FIXED News to discredit and mischaracterize the President's childhood and his beliefs.

Posted by: lcarter0311 | March 2, 2011 2:37 PM
******************************

Interesting (to me) to note that Fixed News has "suspended" Gingrich and Santorum from their broadcasts over the next two months in a laughable effort to appear objective.

Note that neither Huckabee nor Palin have had similar suspensions. Guess Ailes doesn't think their candidacies are viable!

Posted by: abqcleve | March 2, 2011 4:16 PM | Report abuse

While Huckabee at the very least misspoke, there is no doubt a Kenyan connection in Obama's family. And, I fully believe that connection may be influencing the way President Obama views Britain. It is historically accurate that Obama was born in Hawaii and spent many of his growing up years in Indonesia. Keep in mind that Huckabee never said he was not born in the US. How he can be viewed as caving or pandering to the "birthers" with his misspoken comments is beyond me.

Posted by: bci92667 | March 2, 2011 4:21 PM | Report abuse


Now let's ask what Hawaii's governor Neil Abercrombie, long-time buddy of Barry the incompetent boob Obama, meant when he said 'It actually exists in the archives, written dow?,' referring of course to Barry's birth certificate.

This was the Dim governor who made a big point about how he was the one who was going to search the archives, locate the long-form birth certificate, show it to the world, and quell all the controvery.

After this boast Abercrombie did indeed search the archives, and came back empty-handed.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1348916/Hawaii-governor-says-Obamas-birth-record-exists-produce-it.html

Posted by: screwjob26 | March 2, 2011 4:22 PM | Report abuse

It never fails that any representative of the National CORPORATE Republican Party still clings to discrediting President Obama. These people can't let go of the idea that he is the rightfully elected President. While the economy fails by actions of the past National CORPORATE Republican Party leadership and genocidal attempts at destroying the working American class, they still have time to drag up false accusations about our(OUR) President. It is time to tell the National CORPORATE Republican Party that we intend to take back our government "of the people,by the people" and crush CORPORATE rule.

Posted by: joltinjo | March 2, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Look, he said CLEARLY that he KNOWS Obama grew up in Kenya. He didn't say he THINKS that is the case. This is an open and closed incident of outright deceit and demagoguery. It's all the GOP has right now.

Posted by: JFredSmug | March 2, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we shouldn't expect much from our politicians, but what is especially irksome about this outright attempt to dissemble by Mr. Huckabee is that he makes such a show of his Christian faith. Hypocrisy at it's best, folks!

But anyway...Who is Mike Huckabee? What do we really know about him? He SAYS he was born in Arkansas, but do we have definitive proof of this? Has he offered to us, Americans demanding to know the truth, proof that he is a natural born American? I've personally never seen his birth certificate, so how do I really know where he was born? And why has he not released his passport records so that we can be confident that he hasn't traveled too much and had his mind corrupted by anti-American thoughts and values? What, exactly, is Mike Huckabee hiding from America?!

Posted by: SouthernerInDC | March 2, 2011 4:38 PM | Report abuse

He recently was in West Michigan to "preach" at a megachurch in Holland. Obviously, Mike Huckabee is accustomed to getting up in front of large audiences, or talking to another radio/TV personalities, and simply saying whatever comes to mind. Whether or not it is based in FACT is apparently no concern of the Heavy HUCKSTER.

Posted by: JFredSmug | March 2, 2011 4:48 PM | Report abuse

So...

Huckabee claims to know exactly how President Obama feels about the British and why.

Yet he says he doesn't know much about the man.

Classic Huckabee logic.

Posted by: janeway1 | March 2, 2011 4:49 PM | Report abuse

"Reveals Christianity for what it is, a vehicle for lying." If you're going to paint everything with such a broad brush, I'd just say "Being a politician is a vehicle for lying and saying stupid things."

Posted by: futbolclif | March 2, 2011 4:53 PM | Report abuse

So this what is going to be our Commander and Chief!? This guy apparently flunked both history and geography. I wonder who he'll bomb if it comes to war, e.g. South Korea instead of North Korea? With Iraq (again) instead of Iran.

The foreign policy expertise is pretty thin in the Republican party to begin with and completely missing on the Right Wing.

Posted by: osabear_1999 | March 2, 2011 4:56 PM | Report abuse

My understanding is that madrassa simply means a place for learning or school. Obviously if they are run by extremists of any ilk this might alarm one. Christian extremists (like the Kansas church group that celebrates American troop losses come to mind).

Posted by: sauerkraut | March 2, 2011 4:58 PM | Report abuse

An illiterate Republican moron whose only "job" is running for president. Sounds like every Republican candidate who's ever run for president since after Teddy Roosevelt.

Posted by: jjedif | March 2, 2011 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Instead of being afraid, Americans should rejoice in the fact that their present president had different life experiences than they had.

Posted by: rolandberger | March 2, 2011 5:06 PM | Report abuse

So where are the Pinocchio's for a complete fabrication compounded by absurd "explanations" of the fantasy? Given the number that are typically awarded for a trivial slip by a Democrat, for the Huckster they should fill up the screen.

Posted by: edallan | March 2, 2011 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Observer691 wrote: Desert dummy's stale teleprompter joke is just one small example of why Obama will cruise to reelection.
-------------------------
Now that is funny. Seen Obama's approval ratings lately? Not looking good for 2012.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

Posted by: Desertdiva1 | March 2, 2011 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Republicans need to keep insisting that our President is "very different than the average American" or their 'belief' that Obama is an invalid usurper of the Presidency.

For Republicans, it's a faith-based world and to claim that what they believe isn't true is just as offensive to them as saying that that their "Faith" is wrong. That the Bible isn't rue, word for word.

Evolution, global warming, government for the common good, science? Facts are offensive to 'Believers'.

It's no surprise that Huckabee polls ahead of all others in the South. They still believe that we should celebrate Treason of The Confederacy and Traitors that led them into War against the U.S.A.

Posted by: thebobbob | March 2, 2011 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Has anybody looked into the question of where Huckabee grew up? What influences made him turn out the way he did? What, exacty, is his problem? Is he a moron, an ignoramus, or a liar? It pretty much has to be one of those.

Posted by: cogito1 | March 2, 2011 5:24 PM | Report abuse

‎"I'm not surprised the NY Times chose to sensationalize this story. In fact, the New York Times, the AP, and other news organizations ran with the "sensationalized story" despite being specifically told by [WOR radio host] Steve Malzberg himself that they were incorrect in their assessment of the sound bite. You just can't help but laugh when my simple slip of the tongue, becomes a huge story - and a certain Presidential candidate claiming to visit all 57 states, gets widely ignored." - Huckabee

Posted by: CaliforniaforHuckabee | March 2, 2011 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Huckabee probably gets his "information" from Fox News.

Like all good republicans, his cover up lie is bigger than his original.

Posted by: jvlem | March 2, 2011 5:31 PM | Report abuse

‎"I'm not surprised the NY Times chose to sensationalize this story. In fact, the New York Times, the AP, and other news organizations ran with the "sensationalized story" despite being specifically told by [WOR radio host] Steve Malzberg himself that they were incorrect in their assessment of the sound bite. You just can't help but laugh when my simple slip of the tongue, becomes a huge story - and a certain Presidential candidate claiming to visit all 57 states, gets widely ignored." - Huckabee

Posted by: CaliforniaforHuckabee | March 2, 2011 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Like all good Fox News watchers, desertdiva1 believes Rasmussen polls.

Get real, and get educated. It's not a sin, really.

Posted by: jvlem | March 2, 2011 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Desertdiva1...Every politician read from prepared scripts. It could be in the form of a teleprompter or just pages...it does not matter and it also does not reflect poorly on Obama. Sarah Palin reads from her hand...I guess that is more to your liking

Posted by: tafari1_20001 | March 2, 2011 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Don't you love the inconsistency of the Republicans criticizing Obama for alleged anti-colonial views (as if that is a bad thing) while simultaneously praising the Founding Fathers who fought a war to free ourselves from British colonialism.

Posted by: buffysummers | March 2, 2011 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Pure and simple...Huckabee is a Klan by night and a preacher/governor/tv host by day

Posted by: tafari1_20001 | March 2, 2011 5:42 PM | Report abuse


Well, the WAPO "misspeakes" day of the year.

IN FACT, the WAPO 'misspeaks' SO MUCH that they have to have their own ombudsman and have to do retractions every day.

To be sure, the WAPO takes on a LOT of subject matter and mistakes are inevitable.

Yet, the WAPO seem all too comfortable criticizing Mr. Huckabee for his lonely errors.

This comfort level is all to undeserved as many know that much of what WAPO distorts is INTENTIONAL rather than accidental or based upon ignorance.

Posted by: NOTINFL | March 2, 2011 5:43 PM | Report abuse

jvlem wrote: Like all good Fox News watchers, desertdiva1 believes Rasmussen polls. Get real, and get educated. It's not a sin, really.
-----------------------
First I'm not a Fox News watcher but coming from someone who watches MSNBC I'll take it as a compliment. Second Rasmussen was extremely accurate predicting the 2010 election. Democrats in denial didn't believe it until that shellacking hit like a tsunami. Your failure in chief would lose against ANY generic Republican candidate. You keep on believing in that "hope and change". Republicans are showing it to you. Wisconsin, Ohio, and the wins just keep on coming.

Posted by: Desertdiva1 | March 2, 2011 5:44 PM | Report abuse

It's quite disturbing to an ordained minister, like Huckabee, be so casual with the truth. Maybe he only has the abridged version of the 10 commandments.

Posted by: BBear1 | March 2, 2011 5:48 PM | Report abuse


Huckabunk knows his audience of goobers, and says what they want to hear, and knows they will fall for anything that feels good to them.

Posted by: gkam | March 2, 2011 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Well, the WAPO "misspeakes" every day of the year.

IN FACT, the WAPO 'misspeaks' SO MUCH that they have to have their own ombudsman and have to do retractions every day.

To be sure, the WAPO takes on a LOT of subject matter and mistakes are inevitable, Mr. Huckabee too.

Yet, the WAPO seem all too comfortable criticizing Mr. Huckabee for his lonely errors.

This comfort level is especially undeserved as many know that much of what WAPO distorts is INTENTIONAL rather than accidental or based upon ignorance.

Posted by: NOTINFL | March 2, 2011 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I've always told my kids that when they do something wrong it only gets worse when they lie about it...usually a lot worse.

That appears to be the case with this. I really think this is a Macaca-level gaffe for Mr. Huckabee.

It is hard to believe that he is so dumb to get something so mixed up, but his explanation simply makes him look even worse. People will accept a dumb president. They don't want a president they can't believe.

Posted by: rjma1 | March 2, 2011 5:55 PM | Report abuse

This is 'planting a seed' in the minds of voters to convey that he is different, he is not like us. This stuff really works well, especially in advertising. People tend to remember their impressions better than details.

Posted by: gladys3 | March 2, 2011 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Huckabee seems to be less intelligent than he was previously (though I may have been mistaken about his intelligence earlier). Or perhaps he is only trying to appear to be less intelligent.

Posted by: dnice1 | March 2, 2011 6:00 PM | Report abuse

I mean really....is the only hope for the Republican Party in 2012 starting a campaign of doubt about Obama's citizenship?

Do they really think that will work as a cover to the millions of Americans they will have put out of work with these insane budget cuts?

Posted by: massmedia77 | March 2, 2011 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Said Huckabee, a supposedly educated man, "their view of the Mau Mau Revolution in Kenya is very different than ours because he probably grew up hearing that the British were a bunch of imperialists who persecuted his grandfather."
It seems that we Americans fought a war (like the Mau Mau's in Kenya) over the crown's imperialistic policies towards our forefathers, the colonists.
What's right for us isn't for the Kenyans? Huckabee is an idiot. I am amazed our press hasn't bothered to address this, only the non-sense that Obama is not regarded as a native-born American.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I HAD to re-post this....it really shows Huckabee's complete ignorance. He plays upon Obama's African roots, even when it's well known that Obama was raised by his mother and her parents (who were all white Americans). The Republicans continuously ignore this fact and keep point to the lie that Obama is somehow a Kenyan. Why does his Kenyan heritage play a bigger part than his white American heritage? And then they want to get mad if someone says something about racism....what a crock.

Posted by: massmedia77 | March 2, 2011 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Don't be fooled. Huckabee did not get onto the national stage by being stupid. He purposely connected Obama with Kenya and the mau-mau, knowing he could retract later, and pretend he mis-spoke. Many listening to this program will not hear the retraction, and that subliminal link between Obama and the mau-mau has been planted.

Posted by: vmusic | March 2, 2011 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Thou shall not bear false witness Mike: Ex 20:16, Matt 19:18, Luke 3:14, Ex 23:1, Ex 23:7, Lev 19:11, Lev 19:18, Deut 5:20, Prov 25:18. Stop the lies Mike. Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord (Prov 12:22)

Posted by: tracer99468 | March 2, 2011 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of one's political beliefs, the Governor can be recognized as an intelligent man. Knowing this (coupled with the quote from his book) makes it difficult to think that his statements weren't premeditated which suggests malice aforethought. Given nearly 16% of Arkansans are black, he isn't ignorant of them or their issues so there seem to be more than a hint of racism. Presidential material? I think not.

Posted by: jahysell | March 2, 2011 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Huckabee said "I do think he [Obama] has a different world view and I think it is, in part, molded out of a very different experience."

Yes, and thank God or whatever Deity that we actually have a president who is informed and knows a little bit more about foreign affairs than the typical ignorant U.S. citizen, our previous president and most GOP presidential hopefuls.

The more Huckabee opens his mouth, the more he reveals he is even more ignorant than W was. Too bad most Americans don't know enough to recognize his foolishness.

Posted by: mmckaibab | March 2, 2011 6:24 PM | Report abuse

It appears that Huckabee is shooting his mouth off again like Sara Palin, without thinking or without being fully informed.

It appears to be Huckabee’s pattern, for he did the same thing when he attacked Mitt Romney’s religion during their candidacies in the last presidential run.


Posted by: TheLionScribe | March 2, 2011 6:26 PM | Report abuse

So not a "misspeak", Mr. Huckabee. So obviously just a cheap pander to the lo-no's (low- & no-information voters).

But that's OK...for me, you're now going to be "Mau Mau Mike" going forward.

Posted by: PattiFink1 | March 2, 2011 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Huckabee should get himself a teleprompter so he can emulate our failure in chief.

Posted by: Desertdiva1 | March 2, 2011 12:57 PM
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Perhaps if he had had a teleprompter he wouldn't have made a fool out of himself.

But, what exactly has President Obama done or not done that makes you consider him a failure? I am so curious as to why people like you consider him a failure after a mere two years in office. What exactly did you expect from him in just two years considering the shape our country was in when he took office and Republicans in Congress doing everything they can to make sure he achieves nothing. Then you people just completely ignore what he has done. You may not like some of the things he has accomplished like health care reform but it was what he campaigned on and Americans who did vote for him, like what he did and he did it within his first year in office. How about you Google President Obama's accomplishments and then Google George Bush and see who has done the most for this country and the American people.

Now, what exactly DID George Bush do for this country in his eight years in office? How exactly did George Bush improve the lives of ALL Americans? And compare that to what President Obama has accomplished in just two years and then tell us who the failure is.

Posted by: catmomtx | March 2, 2011 6:51 PM | Report abuse

What a sleazy cheap shot in what should have been at the least an honest correction, and probably an apology to President Obama. Just to please the GOP far right and smear the POTUS further he uses the correction opportunity to suggest Obama does not understand the Boy Scouts and Rotary Clubs but is indeed some kind of alien who only gets madrassas. Way to stick with your talking points Mike rather than display some class and sincerity.

Posted by: harmil2 | March 2, 2011 7:08 PM | Report abuse

catmomtx wrote: What exactly did you expect from him in just two years considering the shape our country was in when he took office and Republicans in Congress doing everything they can to make sure he achieves nothing. Then you people just completely ignore what he has done. You may not like some of the things he has accomplished like health care reform but it was what he campaigned on and Americans who did vote for him, like what he did and he did it within his first year in office. How about you Google President Obama's accomplishments and then Google George Bush and see who has done the most for this country and the American people.

Now, what exactly DID George Bush do for this country in his eight years in office? How exactly did George Bush improve the lives of ALL Americans? And compare that to what President Obama has accomplished in just two years and then tell us who the failure is.
------------------------
First I'm not a Bush fan so please spare me the eternal Democrats comparisons to George. Second how about campaign promises he made that he has failed to keep- shut down Gitmo for a starter. Explain to me why Gitmo is still open? Bring the troops home from Iraq and Afghanistan. Although being promised Iraq we still have troops on the ground and it's still costing us a lot of money. Obama has now postponed removing troops from Afghanistan. Why? It's draining this economy and nothing in Afghanistan is worth spending another dollar in that god forsaken place. Here's a few more-
End no-bid contracts above $25,000
Forbid companies in bankruptcy from giving executives bonuses
Allow imported prescription drugs
Tougher rules against revolving door for lobbyists and former officials

So many promises and I didn't even hold him to "transparency" and "nonpartisan politics". The "elections have consequences and we won" lasted as long as he had a supermajority and failed to do anything in two years other than ram that nasty Obamacare down our throats. Oh yes one and done is in Obama's future.

Posted by: Desertdiva1 | March 2, 2011 7:09 PM | Report abuse

The right Reverend has evidently forgotten his Christian education--Thou shalt not bear FALSE witness***. Oh, that's right: they don't provide education when they send you those papers from the Reverend MILLS!!!!

Posted by: rjstolba | March 2, 2011 7:12 PM | Report abuse

"Your failure in chief would lose against ANY generic Republican candidate."

Not if Republicans keep putting Americans out of work as if it's the new "in thing". Americans ask for jobs and the GOP instantly puts forth legislation that puts people out of work and gives more power (and tax breaks) to major corporations.

By the way, the "landslide" Republican victories in 2010 came with only a quarter of the country voting. The actions of the GOP from that point on will most definitely wake the rest of the country up come 2012....can you say, two-term Barry??

I'm sure the GOP will find all kinds of ways to continue shooting themselves in the foot. With this ongoing trend of trying to destroy the middle class, they've all but cut their own throats.

Et Tu Brute??

Posted by: massmedia77 | March 2, 2011 7:14 PM | Report abuse

This is just ridiculous. We don't need recycled rumors, we need economic recovery, jobs, a fair and reasonable means to pay down the federal deficit, no more extensions of the Bush tax cuts to the top wage earners (who clearly do not create or restore jobs, etc... I don't want to hear any more fear mongering rumors about Obama's citizenship or the color of his skin. Seriously... when will the Republican's drop this game and DO SOMETHING intelligent or useful instead?

Posted by: deborahjbrown | March 2, 2011 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Huckabee's LIE: But then if you think about it, his perspective as growing up in Kenya with a Kenyan father and grandfather, their view of the Mau Mau Revolution in Kenya is very different than ours because he probably grew up hearing that the British were a bunch of imperialists who persecuted his grandfather."

The TRUTH: Obama barely knew his father, who abandoned Obama's mother shortly after he was born and played almost no role in Obama's upbringing.

Why do these people, time and time again, try to change history and state that Obama was raised by his father in Kenya? Obama was raised by his WHITE, AMERICAN mother and, when she passed, his WHITE, AMERICAN grandparents.

Why OH why do people keep trying to change this man's history? I mean, they completely deny that Obama was raised by WHITE AMERICANS. It's like willful ignorance, plain stupidity magnified....a total and complete refusal of the truth.

But why?

Posted by: massmedia77 | March 2, 2011 7:29 PM | Report abuse

The "elections have consequences and we won" lasted as long as he had a supermajority and failed to do anything in two years other than ram that nasty Obamacare down our throats.

What is so "nasty" about Obamacare? What parts of Health Care Reform don't you like?

Posted by: massmedia77 | March 2, 2011 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Huck and his flunky come across as imbeciles. The Repubs can do better -- I can't imagine someone like Mitch Daniels or Jeb Bush having these idiotic discussions on talk radio.

Posted by: wswest | March 2, 2011 7:33 PM | Report abuse

First I'm not a Bush fan so please spare me the eternal Democrats comparisons to George.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We'll give up miserable failure George W. Bush when you people give up the fraud aka corporate puppet that was Ronald Reagan.

Posted by: massmedia77 | March 2, 2011 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Huckabee still thinks that Hawai'i is an island off the coast of Africa. Just what we need as the next Leader of the Free World.

Posted by: chuck8 | March 2, 2011 7:37 PM | Report abuse

So?

Huckabee has joined the ranks of Jimmy Swaggart, Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Benny Hinn, et al.

Swaggart and Hinn for deception; Falwell and Roberts for ignorance!

Onward "Christian" Right Wingers- - - Marching into Darkness. . . .

Posted by: lufrank1 | March 2, 2011 7:53 PM | Report abuse


This "telling a lie" then back peddling worked for Pastor Huck the last time ... made some nasty comments (disguised as questions) about Mitt's Mormon religion ... then with an "aw shucks" - tried to spin his way out ...

Pastor Huck is a liar, and ignorant and still has to explain why he "forgave" murderers - setting them free to kill again - which they did!

Posted by: curwood1 | March 2, 2011 8:03 PM | Report abuse

As a devout Republican, I say Mike must hold fast and not back down. We Republicans must not get flustered when caught in a lie. The experience of our mentor, Joseph Goebbels, has taught us that any lie, when repeated often, loudly and with enough vehemence, magically becomes the Gospel Truth.

Posted by: senbilboredux | March 2, 2011 8:26 PM | Report abuse

This lie by Huckabee is an excellent example of how the Christian Right has sold out Jesus and God in exchange for money and power.

Thou shalt not bear false witness?

Ever know any Christian fundamentalist that didn't do anything else but lie?

Mr. Huckabee is engaging in a key dialogue that is to the morally destitute majority that comprises Christian fundamentalism and the Republican party.

Posted by: colonelpanic | March 2, 2011 8:32 PM | Report abuse

End of all this by simply producing a document (try submitting a "Certificate of Live Birth)required by the federal government to get a passport as a U.S. citizen:


http://www.thecampofthesaints.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Alfred_E_Obama_mad-magazine-cover.jpg


Huckaphony may be an idiot in his own right, but so, apparently, is Obambi.

Posted by: nickthimmeschearthlinknet | March 2, 2011 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, everybody knows Obama grew up in one of the 57 states...

Posted by: JCM-51 | March 2, 2011 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Another idiot is added to the ranks of the Rep. wannabees. Have these guys not learned the old adage, "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak out and remove all doubt."

Posted by: raca1234 | March 2, 2011 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Basically he's saying he's black and that's an issue

Posted by: Chops2 | March 2, 2011 10:08 PM | Report abuse

End of all this by simply producing a document (try submitting a "Certificate of Live Birth)required by the federal government to get a passport as a U.S. citizen:


http://www.thecampofthesaints.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Alfred_E_Obama_mad-magazine-cover.jpg


Huckaphony may be an idiot in his own right, but so, apparently, is Obambi.
=======================================

You sir are the idiot.

Posted by: Chops2 | March 2, 2011 10:11 PM | Report abuse

To me, I detect a smattering of 'Beckism' in Huckster's faux pax. ... Maybe like LBJ's early career remark about an up and coming political opponent, : "Ask him when ... he stopped beating his wife, is it true"?
The 'idea' is then out there....... Absurd, yet out there.
Below the belt stuff at a national level? ...... Yup.

Posted by: deepthroat21 | March 2, 2011 10:19 PM | Report abuse


Possible choices for 2012.

A mid-Southern Hillbilly who undertstands nothing about international relations.

A Norther hillbilly who understands nothing about international relations.

A Southern hillbilly who understands nothing about international relations.

Mike Huckabee, Sarah Palin, Rand Paul.

Heaven help the U.S.A.

Posted by: ronrod17509 | March 2, 2011 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Note to crazy birthers/repuplicans:
Some states do not issue "long form birth certificates". They issue certificates of live birth like Hawaii does. I have one from my birth state of Maine. Ok?

Posted by: arm320 | March 2, 2011 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Remember Hillary's under fire comment during the Democratic primary? Huckabbe has brought on his own firing squad on this one. He actually put himself in a whole and kept digging. By the time he finishes, he should have buried himself.

I still maintain that Huckabee is a victim of the craziness that passes for news at FOX.

Posted by: EarlC | March 2, 2011 11:46 PM | Report abuse

It must be difficult for mr. huckabee to accept he has killed his presidential aspirations, all with no help other than his own fat mouth.

So be it.

Posted by: binkynh | March 3, 2011 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Hey, give the Rev a break! Typical Evangelical preacher. He probably can't help it. In his former career he stood and told one lie after another to his congregation, it's just old habit.

Posted by: LoneDeminBama | March 3, 2011 1:13 AM | Report abuse

There is not a bright one in the GOP bunch. Obama is playing them brilliantly by not responding to the birthers. The more these wannabes pander to the crazies, the bigger the victory margin for Obama in 2012.

Posted by: DemoDevil | March 3, 2011 1:26 AM | Report abuse

Desertdiva1 wrote: "Maybe Huckabee should get himself a teleprompter so he can emulate our failure in chief."

DC Sage wrote: The teleprompter lie is just another racial slur coming from white racist bigots who like to spread the racist stereotype that no African American can speak publicly, so the first African American President must need a telprompter to talk. Just more white racist stereotypes and white racist bigotry from bloody-jawed racist birther bigots.

Pastor Huckabee is a Bible-thumping liar and a bought and paid for shill for Rupert Murdoch. The jack-leg preacher Huckabee lied about the President to curry favor with racist birther bigots who burn with racist hatred. He's a liar and a white racist bigot that is all there is.

Posted by: DCSage | March 3, 2011 5:34 AM | Report abuse

Don't be so quick to assume the worst. We should, at least, allow for the possibility that he is merely stupid.

Posted by: reino | March 3, 2011 6:26 AM | Report abuse

While I disagree with his politics, I believe Huckabee is a smart man and knows better. But, as a smart man running for president, I am sure Huckabee also knows his base (i.e., dumb ignorant americans) and the Churchill/Kenya slip was an oblique way of appealing to the birthers.

Posted by: WPL22 | March 3, 2011 7:23 AM | Report abuse

America has become smoldering dung heap - a racial, religious and political hate fest and Huckabee is one of the Fox News arsonists.

Posted by: areyousaying | March 3, 2011 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I just lost all respect for Huckabee (especially the "his story" comment).

Huckabee, to me at least, was one of those nice guys that you would like as a neighbor. I wouldn't want him running the country, but he seemed like a genuine nice guy. Now he just seems like a shallow scumbag.

Posted by: steve1231 | March 3, 2011 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Of course, this entire incident simply validates this widespread ignorance of history that seems to define the right's world view. Huckabee is merely a reflection of that ignorance.

Not only is Huckabee wrong about who the colonial overseers were in Kenya (it was the Dutch, not the British), he was wrong in the essentials of colonial rule. Anyone with even a modest education in history knows that Colonialism was just as oppressive as its later totalitarian cousins, National Socialism and Communism. For God's sake, America was founded as a consequence of a revolt against British Colonialism! Who's side is this ignorant bunch on anyway? Apparently the side Obama is not on is their only guidepost.

One has to wonder if America gets into a scrap with North Korea, will Huckabee and right wing talk radio hosts suddenly be pleading the case for Kim Jong Il against the oppressive Muslim Obama?

Posted by: jaxas70 | March 3, 2011 9:36 AM | Report abuse

These silly birthers remind me of the OJ jury. It was a forgone conclusion that that jury was never going to convict OJ no matter what the evidence showed. In similar fashion, no amount of evidence of Obama's American citizenship is going to satisfy them because just like the OJ jury, the instant a smoking gun showing Obama was born in Hawaii--which is widely available BTW--will only prompt them to close their eyes, clasp their hands over their ears and make na-na-na-na-na sounds to avoid seeing or hearing the truth.

Posted by: jaxas70 | March 3, 2011 9:48 AM | Report abuse

He calls himself a Christian Preacher???Huckabuck is another PROFITEERING,Repub bigot!A Faux"news",Faux Christian HYPOCRITE!His words of "Mau Mau" and "Revolution" were race baiting, catch phrases for the R/W ,T/Nut Gallery theme of "Obama is not one of us,he's really African and foreign"!Huckster,that was no slip of the tongue so do not try to lie your way out of it,that was thought out and planned and also shows his stupidity ,if the British were not Imperialists than what was the American Revolution about?I hate to say this but maybe he's correct about one thing ,looking at him , the list of Repub hopefuls and Faux"news"... he might be on to something when he denies Evolution?????

Posted by: sjo123452000 | March 3, 2011 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I would like to respond to the contributor who said: "Reveals Christianity for what it is, a vehicle for lying." It is plain from history that men have done atrocious acts in the name of Christ since the foundation of the Christian church (and still do!).

It is also true that other religions are used to perpetrate unjust acts and oppress the weak and poor. Therefore, I would suggest that the problem is not with religion per se but with human beings who have this uncanny ability to turn the most noble of impulses - mankind's need and search for significance (which religion attempts to fulfill) into a vehicle for destruction.

Strangely enough Christianity has a name for this defect and claims to have the remedy for it - how ironic that it is now seen as the very source of the problem it claims to fix! For me, this just reinforces the depth of the human problem - no points for guessing my persuasion.

What I would encourage dear contributor is that you revisit the facts that made you come to the conclusion that "... Christianity...is, a vehicle for lying." Charity work, mother love and other good things can be used (and justified as) "a vehicle for lying."

Don't make the mistake that Huckabee (whom I know very little about admittedly, so won't comment on his character) seems to have made . It appears from his comments that he has submitted to the sway of prejudice. Instead, I encourage you to (as a wise preacher once said): "Stop judging by mere appearances, make a right judgement" John 7:24.

Lanre,
Lagos, Nigeria

Posted by: lanre5000 | March 4, 2011 2:49 AM | Report abuse

Post a Comment

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.




characters remaining

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company