Have You Changed Your Tax Decal?

The Fairfax County Office of Public Affairs has issued a reminder that all vehicles should be displaying their current, green 2006 tax decals as of tomorrow:

"Police and sheriff departments from Alexandria City, Fairfax City, Falls Church City, Manassas City, Arlington County, Fairfax County, Loudoun County, Prince William County, the town of Herndon and the town of Middleburg participate in a regional effort to enforce the display of decals. Decals should be placed next to the state safety inspection sticker, and the prior year's tax decal should be removed. Motorcycle decals should be affixed to the bike's fork next to the state safety inspection sticker."

"By law, the deadline for displaying the green 2006 decals is Nov. 15. After Nov. 15, law enforcement personnel in participating jurisdictions will issue tickets to drivers of vehicles without decals or with expired decals (e.g. last year's red decal).


Decals can be obtained at the Fairfax County Department of Tax Administration, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 223, in Fairfax. Decal fees are $25/car, truck or van; $18/motorcycle; and $23/taxicab. There is no proration for decals. Vehicle decals will be issued at no cost to active duty military personnel who reside in the county due to military orders, and who are the sole owners of vehicles garaged or parked in the county and who maintain their legal residences in a state other than Virginia. Vehicles with out-of-state license plates are required to display a county decal if they are garaged here. Vehicle taxes and tickets must be paid in order to purchase decals.


Residents of the towns of Herndon and Vienna must purchase town decals, available from their respective town halls. Residents of the town of Clifton must purchase a town tag from the town clerk.


For more information, call the Fairfax County Department of Tax Administration at 703-222-8234 (español 703-324-3855), TTY 703-222-7594, or visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta.       For 24-hour recorded information, call 703-324-INFO (4636), TTY 711."    

By  |  November 14, 2005; 9:42 AM ET  | Category:  Government
Previous: If You Build It...Will They Come? | Next: Moran To Host Medicare Town Meeting Thursday


© 2010 The Washington Post Company