8/3 UPDATE: Army Ft. Belvoir Plan Draws Critics
From today's Metro section:
Rep. Thomas M. Davis III (R-Va.) will hold a hearing this month to question the Army about its plans for transferring 22,000 employees to Fort Belvoir, a member of his staff told Army leaders yesterday.
"He has a lot of concerns," Davis aide Bill Womack said. "There are too many moving parts to not take a closer look at this."
Womack's comments came at a meeting at the post of an advisory board formed by the post commander to gather comments on the Army's plans.
The Army announced last week that it is planning to cluster most of the relocated employees at the Engineer Proving Ground, a mostly vacant site a couple of miles northwest of the main post.
The plans have come under criticism from state and local officials who were hoping the Army would disperse the new workers more, on the main post and on an underused federal storage site.
-- Alec MacGillis
According to this article, the Army's plan is being strongly criticized by state and local officials.
In this article, Fort Belvoir's commander defends the decision to group the workers onm the Engineer Proving Ground.
Originally posted 7/28
The Army proposes to use the Engineer Proving Ground, located several miles from Fort Belvoir, as the work site for most of the 22,000 people whose jobs will be transferred to the base as part of the federal base realignment and closure process. The announcement upsets Fairfax leaders who say the plan will create more traffic problems for the county, The story is here.
July 28, 2006; 10:10 AM ET
Previous: 8/2 UPDATE: House Committee Issues Davis a Warning | Next: Fairfax, Others, Misspent Homeland Security Funds